Login / Register
 
DJ Sneak speaks on Real House music, Swedish House Mafia, & more
Closed
Subscribe
Nev
Thread Starter
#1
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Nev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Miami to New York
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
Nev is offline
DJ Sneak speaks on Real House music, Swedish House Mafia, & more

DJMag: DJ Sneak Interview

Quick excerpt:
Quote:
Do you accept any responsibility for the Swedish House Mafia splitting up?

“Not really, no. I wish, you know what I’m saying? I wish. I still speak out about the type of stuff they’re doing to this day. Maybe they woke up and realized how cheesy they were, that may have crossed their mind — although I can’t speak for them. I know all three of them individually have tried to get with me on Twitter and all that stuff, and I’m sort of past it, you know what I mean? I just wanted to bring it to the awareness of people. ?

“People knew about it, but nobody wanted to speak out about it, so I was the bad guy out there, I guess. I said, ‘You know what? I’ve had enough of this shit, I’m just gonna say it. If anyone wants to join me later, that’s fine'. So people like me and Derrick May and Chemical Brothers… there was a lot of people speaking out about what’s happening. ?

“There’s a group of people who are actually talented musicians or disc jockeys who go onstage and give their heart out, put it out there and try to create something — not necessarily using the fancy LEDs or pyrotechnics or whatever. It was more about the music, really — always. It wasn’t about the DJ standing there showing you a heart with their stupid fingers, that just shows that they ain’t mixing. How are you going to mix, unless you’re a magician — in which case you mix and then do hand tricks. Or you have a pre-recorded mix.?“But I’m past it now, they are who they are, they came and did their stuff, and I’m sure they’re still going to rinse it out — whatever. The sad part about where this industry is today is that there’s many of them, and less of people like me who actually care about the industry.”

What is real house music?

“Real house music is ghetto soul, it’s ghetto beats with soulful vibes in it, you know what I’m saying? It could be vocals, it could be a ghetto DJ funk track, it could be whatever. I’m all across the board DJing, I can play any style I wanna play, for me house music is good soulful party music. Happy feelgood music — that’s it.?“For me, when I make house music — my remixes or tracks or whatever — I’m thinking about a nice, warm analogue-sounding track. You feel the bass, you feel the mid, you feel the highs, you feel something coming from the left, from the right, from top down. Whatever, that’s what music-making for me is all about, making you have those certain feelings about a beat that I made. That’s what made me get into it.”

Which artists, in your opinion, are ruining the good name of dance music?

“Make a list of the so-called Top 10 DJs, and there they are. They’re doing the damage. They’re supposed to be opening the doors and bringing more people to electronic music, but that shit that they play is pop-ass shit carbonated… music, I don’t know what the hell you wanna call it, man. That’s not opening doors.”
I wish I could've experience this scene in London I keep hearing about. I also wish I was old enough to attend WMC when it actually meant something. Alas I will never know.

If I could tell DJ Sneak one thing it would be this:
You are not alone, and not all of us starting out are brainwashed by the commercial marketing EDM crap filling up tourist-trap clubs all over cities like Miami, USA.

2
#2
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #2
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,572

Brainchild is offline
LOL what a hater, he's just jealous, probly never even used a soft synth YOLO swag.
6
msl
#3
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #3
msl
Lives for gear
 
msl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 5,299
My Recordings/Credits

msl is offline
He's right of course.
3
#4
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 212

dimconcept is offline
He's comes off so negative, but in some sense, he's right. As someone who has been around electronic music since the early 80's, I get where he is coming from. I would have worded things a bit different though.
__________________
YouTube Analog Sessions
http://www.youtube.com/user/mb33139
2
#5
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,793

newguy1 is offline
Yeah real house music is ghetto soul with ghetto beats. Anything else is just posers, losers, and fakers writing shit they don't even feel to cash out. Everyone's idea of house music should sound just like Sneak wants it to, cause he's been in the game since 2nd wave Chicago! Woweee.
3
#6
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #6
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 19

WithYouInRocklan is offline
I cannot stand anyone who gives other artists shit about being too mainstream/well known then uses a line like "I was EDM", and I think even less of anyone who berates a genre for not clinging to its roots and then has the audacity to complain that people aren't doing anything new. **** that. While I don't disagree that a good deal of the most popular EDM right now is heavily pop influenced, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the music more closely related to what is, by definition, the currently popular type of music that people listen to has a higher subscription. But does that matter? Not in the least. The only artists and listeners it really influences are the ones that aren't part of the supposed dying generation that he bemoans the loss of.
2
#7
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #7
Gear addict
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 408

TransistorRhythm is offline
What's house about the Swedish House Mafia? Should Juan Atkins have an opinion on 2 Unlimited because the rapper shouts TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO in one of their songs?
#8
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 713

JayPee is offline
He's da man.

If you don't understand what he said. You don't understand House music.
__________________
audioconsult, don't quote me, I don't read your posts.
3
#9
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
He's da man.

If you don't understand what he said. You don't understand House music.
I understand what he said and I agree, except to anything that has to do with SHM. They are not related to house music, they are a pop act and everyone knows that.

Its like him complaining about Justin Bieber. Its besides the point of anything related to house music as a style.
#10
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,181

AJ Reynolds is offline
Yeah but they give house music an imagine, which a lot of real house fans don't wont.
1
#11
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
Yeah but they give house music an imagine, which a lot of real house fans don't wont.
To whom? Although I do love some house music tunes, I am not "in the know" amongst other house music fans, and even I know that SHM have nothing to do with house music, besides sticking the word "house" in their name.
2
#12
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #12
Gear maniac
 
ecologie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 206

ecologie is offline
He's right about SHM. honestly 3 guys DJing makes me think its too many cooks in the kitchen all at once. The dj booth must get really crowded and confusing. Stupid IMO.

Yes, roots matter. If you want pop, then go make pop. Alot of SHM did was stand on the shoulders of those before them. just an opinion.
#13
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,448

djanthonyw is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithYouInRocklan View Post
I cannot stand anyone who gives other artists shit about being too mainstream/well known then uses a line like "I was EDM", and I think even less of anyone who berates a genre for not clinging to its roots and then has the audacity to complain that people aren't doing anything new. **** that. While I don't disagree that a good deal of the most popular EDM right now is heavily pop influenced, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the music more closely related to what is, by definition, the currently popular type of music that people listen to has a higher subscription. But does that matter? Not in the least. The only artists and listeners it really influences are the ones that aren't part of the supposed dying generation that he bemoans the loss of.
I agree with your post, but I would argue that a lot of Pop music is influenced from what these guys like SHM are doing more so than Pop influencing what they're doing.
__________________
You are currently reading my signature.
#14
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,529

Looneytune is offline
You know I sense this is not just a problem with house music.
I grew up on Rap music as I was born in LA and grew up in East L.A and it was all hip hop around the 90s when I was a kid. When I visit back home the old cats I grew up with tell me hip hop is dead and was not like it used to be. In one sense they are right!!
Anyway my point is it seems to be the current trend at the moment, that music in allot genres seems to be going down hill instead of the other way.

Who do you blame? I mean I went out to a club the other day and could not believe what these 18 year old kids were dancing to. It does seem the soul in allot of the music you hear on the top 100 charts is soulless.
Anyway my thoughts only.
__________________
https://soundcloud.com/digitaldetox

New Tracks soon from DigitalDetox!
I need more ukulele in the Mix.
3
#15
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #15
Gear maniac
 
ecologie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 206

ecologie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
You know I sense this is not just a problem with house music.
I grew up on Rap music as I was born in LA and grew up in East L.A and it was all hip hop around the 90s when I was a kid. When I visit back home the old cats I grew up with tell me hip hop is dead and was not like it used to be. In one sense they are right!!
Anyway my point is it seems to be the current trend at the moment, that music in allot genres seems to be going down hill instead of the other way.

Who do you blame? I mean I went out to a club the other day and could not believe what these 18 year old kids were dancing to. It does seem the soul in allot of the music you hear on the top 100 charts is soulless.
Anyway my thoughts only.

Over-saturation. No new genres or sounds come out of a scene if it stays stagnant. But what do the new guys start off with... what they hear from that scene. It's an endless cycle. and then we have heads like us who say its dead once it goes over the top and into the public eye.
#16
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
I think it has more to do with musical background. There is so much of this music promoted, shoved down kids throats and is so easy to access that the general trend is that music is consumed like fast/junk food.
#17
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,793

newguy1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
You know I sense this is not just a problem with house music.
I grew up on Rap music as I was born in LA and grew up in East L.A and it was all hip hop around the 90s when I was a kid. When I visit back home the old cats I grew up with tell me hip hop is dead and was not like it used to be. In one sense they are right!!
Anyway my point is it seems to be the current trend at the moment, that music in allot genres seems to be going down hill instead of the other way.

Who do you blame? I mean I went out to a club the other day and could not believe what these 18 year old kids were dancing to. It does seem the soul in allot of the music you hear on the top 100 charts is soulless.
Anyway my thoughts only.

Its not the current trend, its just the trend.

Old people hate on new people (especially those that have lost a grip on what used to be the genre audience they'd tapped into). This is a human nature given (cue Socrates: Quote by Socrates: Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manner...).

You'll find examples of musicians participating in the genre saying "jazz is dead" "the blues are dead" "rock & roll is dead" etc etc going back to early last century. They have to, because if the genre evolves to something other than their sound, they lose their audience.
1
#18
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
tehlord's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 983

tehlord is offline
Ohmygodwhofvckingcares.
2
#19
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #19
Gear maniac
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 286

Halma is offline
Damn, we played his Strictly, Casual, Relief & Radikal Fear releases all the time in the 90´s. Tracks like "Keep On Groovin", "All Over My Face" & especially "Operation Sneak" ( ) let the crowd went mad.
__________________
"We urge all brothers and sisters of the underground to create and transmit their tones and frequencies no matter how so called primitive their equipment may be. Transmit these tones and wreak havoc on the programmers!

Long live the underground..."

Underground Resistance
#20
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,529

Looneytune is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologie View Post
Over-saturation. No new genres or sounds come out of a scene if it stays stagnant. But what do the new guys start off with... what they hear from that scene. It's an endless cycle. and then we have heads like us who say its dead once it goes over the top and into the public eye.
Yes I can see your point. It is a shame really.
I agree with Dj Sneak and not only because I am hispanic lol

May seem a little harsh with the way he comes across but he speaks the truth to me and like what he says!!! He is real and not shady.

It is indeed an endless cycle. I often do not get to caught up on these threads/discussions for fear I may sound negative, and like to think I can contribute something that is positive rather then bitching about the state of the current music.
1
#21
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
Even the whining about music not being as good as it used to be, is not as good as it used to be...etc.
2
#22
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,529

Looneytune is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Its not the current trend, its just the trend.

Old people hate on new people (especially those that have lost a grip on what used to be the genre audience they'd tapped into). This is a human nature given (cue Socrates: Quote by Socrates: Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manner...).

You'll find examples of musicians participating in the genre saying "jazz is dead" "the blues are dead" "rock & roll is dead" etc etc going back to early last century. They have to, because if the genre evolves to something other than their sound, they lose their audience.
You are right my man!
why is that old people like me bitch and moan about everything.
ha ha ha not that old by the way, I am in my 30's!

The other day was driving home and seen this guy with a sticker on the back of this car it read and I quote.
I would rather be an old fart then a young dickhead!

Last edited by Looneytune; 14th March 2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: bad speller
#23
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #23
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 420

FubarSnafu is offline
Well, I've always thought SHM were a calculated cash grab (just look at their supposed artist albums that are full of remixes and non SHM artists).

BUT, I actually wonder if they decided to sell out because they wanted money for pension plans and other boring/sensible things.
1
#24
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
c@caine bills must be through the roof
#25
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,793

newguy1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
You are right my man!
why is that old people like me bitch and moan about everything.
ha ha ha not that old by the way, I am in my 30's!

The other day was driving home and seen this guy with a sticker on the back of this car it read and I quote.
I would rather be an old fart then a young dickhead!

Haha great quote, pins down about half the arguments here in a few words.

I'm 30s as well. . we're at the age where we gotta decide if we stick with the dickheads or age into the farts. Gone are the wonder years of being the unknowing dickhead.

Sneak has proudly chosen to champion the "fart" banner.

I definitely think there's a place where you can appreciate what the kids are doing, seeing it through their inexperienced and innocent eyes. That's where the most fun is always at in my experience. When I'm 70, I'm gonna be that old guy among the 20-somethings' newest freshest hippest night having more fun than anyone else. Life's too short to hate on the kids while they have all the fun.
2
Nev
Thread Starter
#26
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Nev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Miami to New York
Posts: 665

Thread Starter
Nev is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologie View Post
He's right about SHM. honestly 3 guys DJing makes me think its too many cooks in the kitchen all at once. The dj booth must get really crowded and confusing. Stupid IMO.

Yes, roots matter. If you want pop, then go make pop. Alot of SHM did was stand on the shoulders of those before them. just an opinion.
I think that's how the whole problem between Sneak and SHM began, he called them out on not DJing behind the booth, then constantly telling people how great of a DJ they all are (well that's what I have gathered so far from all the tidbits of information, I do not know for sure).

DJ Sneak calls out SHM for being DJ actors

Last edited by Nev; 14th March 2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: added link to other article
#27
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
... Life's too short to hate on the kids while they have all the fun.
I don't think anyone is hating on the kids, I definitely am not.
They are victims of spoon feeding and I blame the heads high up on the industry for this.
Having said that, not all the kids are this obviously, but the whole big money, fast cars, easy chicks attitude, has taken over to a large extent.
SHM is like the theme music to this attitude, which I personally think is a degradation of the human kind.
2
#28
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #28
Gear Head
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 49

Corez is offline
I hate this guy so much. I like some of his older sets though, but lately he's been slacking imo. Take a look at his pioneer dj set:
It's almost embarrising at some points, when he doesn't even get the beatmatch right. I think he feels he need to complain about other artists, because he's not as good as he used to be. What a *********.
Just the way he calls himself "The gangster of housemusic", and his inhibitory urge to talk shit about other artists. Who the **** do he think HE is?

I also think it's funny how all the people who has been naggin on Swedish House Mafia just hate on them for no reason whatsoever. Let me give some examples:
Ed simons from Chemical Brothers on their single "Don't you worry child:
Quote:
this post modern everything's ok attitude is killing interesting dance music, it's an awful awful record, that's all
First of all, i've alays loved Chemical Brothers, but lost all respect to them after this statement. It's fair enough you don't like their song, but please don't call it an "awful" record, without giving any evidence for your arguments. An don't say shit like that about artists who only respected you and been inspired by you all their carrer. I know that especially Steve Angello is a big Chemical Brothers fan.
And why are they "ruining" dance music? It's not like you can't go to the underground clubs anymore and hear what you like. Why don't be glad that SHM are getting allot of young guys into electronic dance music. Jeeze... He sounds like an old angry grandpa "Back when i was young we didn't listen to this Unga Bunga music, we listened to real rock'n'roll!".

Then there was Sneak calling them "Swedish Fish Mafia" on Twitter:
Quote:
It’s a sad thing when the Swedish House Mafia is being paid big money to come to the US to play house music. For the record, they do not play house music.
And then Steve responded in a mature way:
Quote:
If you're trying to tell me something, call me. You have my number. Don't take on Twitter to get a stab. It's stupid of you calling people out like that on Twitter. We always respected you but you show a side thats ****ed up. You shouldn't be doing shit like this. You should embrace where it's heading and use it for your advantage instead of stabbing.
And Sneak replied:
Quote:
You live in LA. You should try acting.
He is just so childish and immature. The way he's calling them names etc. Why don't he just go make dance music the way it should sound to him. Like Angello said, dancemusic is a community, and SHM are just a part of this community, and if you don't like them, go make your own songs, but please don't go and call other peoples music shit, unless YOU can do it better...
1
#29
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #29
Gear Head
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 49

Corez is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios View Post
I don't think anyone is hating on the kids, I definitely am not.
They are victims of spoon feeding and I blame the heads high up on the industry for this.
Having said that, not all the kids are this obviously, but the whole big money, fast cars, easy chicks attitude, has taken over to a large extent.
SHM is like the theme music to this attitude, which I personally think is a degradation of the human kind.
Victims? So basicly what you are saying is that young people doesn't know that they are being manipulated by SHM?
What a dumb statement was that.
And why do you associate SHM with "big money, fast car and, easy chicks"?
#30
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,273

nectarios is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corez View Post
Victims? So basicly what you are saying is that young people doesn't know that they are being manipulated by SHM?
What a dumb statement was that.
And why do you associate SHM with "big money, fast car and, easy chicks"?
I am talking about the music industry. They are shoving music down people's throats. Do you think that is not the case?
Why do I associate SHM with big money, fast cars and easy chicks?
Check out their video cips.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
DAH / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
61
Aahh / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
7
Protools Guy / Music For Picture
51
PlugHead / Music Computers
11
HJK / Mastering forum
5

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.