Hardware synths with dedicated preset/patch buttons
New Reply
Subscribe
deplopcinema
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

Hardware synths with dedicated preset/patch buttons

Hello fellow slutz! Longtime reader first time poster. I love and appreciate the wealth of information I've gotten from here.

As a synth player/electronic musician who is trying to get away from the mouse and be all-hardware, I've found the synths that work best for me, both creatively and live, are ones with multiple dedicated preset/patch buttons. Aka a line of buttons where you an immediately switch between different saved patches.

Most boards nowadays have a dreaded data wheel where you have to scroll through hundreds of patches, sometimes in one giant bank (like my Novation X-Station, or even worse, my Korg Prophecy, which has forward and backward buttons to scroll through all of them one-by-one).

So my question to you, fellow slutterz, what synths do you know of that have dedicated patch shortcut buttons? Style of synth and era it's from doesn't matter. And the more buttons the better, obviously...

A few I know of off the top of my head are:
Korg Microkorg/MS2000, Novation Mininova, Roland Gaia (this one seems to be the best in this dept, with lots of buttons)...

Thanks in advance for your replies!!!
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

The list is very long !
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Guru

In other words, narrow it down. Sample-based? VA? Can't be that you don't have more requirements than just patch buttons, right?
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

To narrow it down I'd say that more recently made VA style synths are preferred. I'm a knob guy and not into banks. I'm sure there's a lot out there and since that's the case I'd like to hear which ones are your favorites and what ones you find the most easy to use.

Also just remembered that the new Moog Sub Fatty has a few patch shortcut buttons...
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Well, the not-yet-released King Korg gives you 8 buttons for favorites, and lets you toggle through 5 sets of 8.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deplopcinema View Post
Hello fellow slutz! Longtime reader first time poster. I love and appreciate the wealth of information I've gotten from here.

As a synth player/electronic musician who is trying to get away from the mouse and be all-hardware, I've found the synths that work best for me, both creatively and live, are ones with multiple dedicated preset/patch buttons. Aka a line of buttons where you an immediately switch between different saved patches.

Most boards nowadays have a dreaded data wheel where you have to scroll through hundreds of patches, sometimes in one giant bank (like my Novation X-Station, or even worse, my Korg Prophecy, which has forward and backward buttons to scroll through all of them one-by-one).

So my question to you, fellow slutterz, what synths do you know of that have dedicated patch shortcut buttons? Style of synth and era it's from doesn't matter. And the more buttons the better, obviously...

A few I know of off the top of my head are:
Korg Microkorg/MS2000, Novation Mininova, Roland Gaia (this one seems to be the best in this dept, with lots of buttons)...

Thanks in advance for your replies!!!
The Accelerator by Radikal Technologies has this capabilty in spades. Its called chaining performances.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

+1 on the KING KORG, but it is most certainly not the only VA or modeling synth that will do this. There are several from several vendors.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Roland V-synth and V-synth GT give you 8 banks of 8 patches stored in the "patch palette" with 8 dedicated buttons and a bank button to recall patches. On the original V-synth you could preview the patches stored in the patch palette. I read this feature is/was broken in the newer GT model, meaning you have to remember what you stored where and can't preview it before selecting it. This may have been fixed with an OS update. I have a GT in storage but I never used the patch palette buttons so I couldn't say for sure. I may just unbox it to check it out.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Nord lead 3 is multitimbral and has quick access to its 4 parts via one button.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

I like synths like the Blofeld that let you create categories. Then you can select a category and a patch from said category.

The R3 and Microkorgs kind of do this, but you're forced to use their pre-defined genre categories.

The Quasimidi Sirius has dedicated patch buttons AND category buttons. I have one for sale if you want it.
My Rock Band: http://lowvoltagerangers.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search