Sidechain a LFO?
New Reply
Subscribe
WithYouInRocklan
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear interested

Sidechain a LFO?

So I had a half cocked idea, looked around a bit and couldn't find an instance of someone doing it before, so I figured I'd ask if it's been done.

Could you make a sidechain-able LFO? Such that gain peaks from the side signal would cause an adjustment of one of the parameters (or several).

It wouldn't be terribly hard to do in max/MSP and I can imagine it might make for some interesting sounds. I suppose you could really do the same thing in live by going along with automation after recording but where's the fun in that?

So the question is has it been done, and if not, why not?
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Head

cool idea. could be The next big thing
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear interested

So I imagine this would probably equate to modulating the depth parameter, likely in time with the track. Some synths that would allow you to do this are massive and dcam synthsquad, and I'm pretty sure you could set this up with any of FabFilter plugins, synths and effects. Plus yea, whatever weird stuff you could do with max/msp.
WithYouInRocklan
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear interested

I think what I'd probably do would be make a m4l patch or external VST that you could map midi parameters to (ie the knobs) and input your sidechain signal to. Use either the gain values or the frequency values of the signal to alter each midi parameter in a couple of different optioned ways. That way you could do it for pretty much any effect. Also maybe put a delay on the parameter change as well.
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Guru

Envelope follower > LFO rate. Yeah, should be trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithYouInRocklan View Post
So the question is has it been done, and if not, why not?
Max4Live was made partially because lots of users had lots of really cool ideas and the Ableton development team did not have time to implement everything.
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear maniac

Should be pretty easy in Reason too.

Grab the SC signal form MClass Comp CV output / Scream 4 envelope follower / Pulveriser and let it control the amt, depth, whatever via Thor matrix / Combinator.
"We urge all brothers and sisters of the underground to create and transmit their tones and frequencies no matter how so called primitive their equipment may be. Transmit these tones and wreak havoc on the programmers!

Long live the underground..."

Underground Resistance
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search