First Hardware Synth?
New Reply
Subscribe
boogie.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear interested

First Hardware Synth?

I have been using ableton suite and komplete for a while now, but I want to get my first hard synth.

I was kind of considering the korg ms20 mini when it comes out because the price isn't too bad, but I really don't know much what to look for in a synth. I have heard good things about Korg and Moog, but from what I understand moogs are a bit more pricey. I am just looking for a solid piece of equipment at an affordable price. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. I don't mind paying for a quality product, but if the difference isn't worth it then I will most likely go with the korg.

Thanks in advance!
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think you can go wrong with the Korg. I think it's on most of our shopping lists.

Do you want a synth with a keyboard? you can save money by going for stuff with no keys.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Since you already have the Komplete package, I suggest you buy a real analog to complement all that digital stuff. Probably best possible way to start expanding your setup would definitely be the Korg MS-20 Mini. Great price. It's an MS-20 so it should sound great (and it does if the youtube videos don't lie).

An alternative could be Arturia MiniBrute, but I would personally buy the MS-20 Mini first.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what your experience is, but I just want to make sure you know that the synths you've mentioned so far are monophonic. Wouldn't it be a surprise if you got one of those then realized you couldn't play chords with it.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I'm not sure what your experience is, but I just want to make sure you know that the synths you've mentioned so far are monophonic. Wouldn't it be a surprise if you got one of those then realized you couldn't play chords with it.
Another issue that may or may not be important to you is that the MS20 mini doesn't have any patch memory: how the knobs are set and how it's patched up entirely determines the sound, and if you ever want the same sound back you have to set it up the same way again.

Another consideration is that the only MIDI it responds to is note-on/off.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

the ms20 has 1 built in patch memory...whatever you leave it it..it remembers it...ie where the knobs are!

and you do have patch sheets with the unit to write down the settings..or use a phone camera.

you can't "store/retrieve" patches with a button push that's for sure!

if you want/need presets recalled at the push of a button you need a different type of synth.

logic pro 9, roland sh-01, minibrute, nanozwerg, volca bass, arturia jp8V and semV, blofeld electribe, korg ddd1 and yamaha rx5
boogie.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated! I am going to research the advantages/disadvantages of polyphonic versus monophonic synths, but it seems like the ms20 mini is the general idea right now. Could someone explain why the moogs are so much more expensive? Specifically I was considering the little phatty.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie. View Post
Thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated! I am going to research the advantages/disadvantages of polyphonic versus monophonic synths, but it seems like the ms20 mini is the general idea right now. Could someone explain why the moogs are so much more expensive? Specifically I was considering the little phatty.
Consider them the Apple of synths. They do one thing very well, and everybody likes them for that. Kind of a brand name thing.

I will be getting a MS20 mini as well. I do alot of expirimental sounds and the ms20 for the price is right up my alley. Also considering getting a mono evolver.

However, I am starting a synth/indie/electronic group with my friends so polyphony is something I have to consider.
Nev
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

That Moog filter is one sexy thing, buy it can be found elsewhere.

If I was in your shoes, I would skip the ms20 mini (for now) and pick up a used Slim Phatty OR a used Studio Electronics SE-1. The Slim Phatty (or Lil Phatty variant) is indeed a Moog, but does not sound the same as a Voyager or any of their past classic synths. It has a more grittier modern sound which can get a bit muddy in a mix. Still does some nice leads and the tone can be used to create some "in your face" kicks.

For the most bang for your buck, the MS20-mini is hard to beat, BUT all I have is HD utube videos and paid reviewers to base my decision on. In other words I would have to get my hands on one to be assured it actually does sound like the original.

Does the SE-1 have the Oberheim filter and the Moog filter as well? If so then WOW! I do not own a SE-1 but have used one on occasion, currently I am looking to buy a SE-1X. The envelopes on the SE-1 are not as fast as I am used to.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

I like the new Moog Sub-Phatty as well. If you want a polyphonic synth, King Korg looks interesting and then there is always the tried and true Nord Lead 2X. All these hardware synths will need a good pre/interface to get into your DAW for a more organic feel. If you want more midi interface, the M-Audio venom was blown out dirt cheap.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search