11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear maniac

I think Elektron will make a analog Drum machine next

yea Title says it what do you think ?
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd much rather see them release a sampler with analog filters, or any other kind of digital/analog hybrid.

I know my modular Virus synth inside out which you don't even think is modular in nature. Sorry if you can't accept that i do know it well and that it is certainly modular.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear maniac

A polysynth based on the A4 voice architecture (+ wavetables?) would sound great. Maybe a keyboard even.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

There's a market for a great analog drum machine, as the ones on the market currently aren't that good imo.

The new MFB machine intrigues me also, but I'd definitely be interested in an Elektron version.

It's too early to speculate though, even if they're designing one (which seems unlikely, as the A4 just came out and still needs to be refined) it won't be out until at least a year, if not longer.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
There's a market for a great analog drum machine, as the ones on the market currently aren't that good imo.

The new MFB machine intrigues me also, but I'd definitely be interested in an Elektron version.

It's too early to speculate though, even if they're designing one (which seems unlikely, as the A4 just came out and still needs to be refined) it won't be out until at least a year, if not longer.
Well you have the Tempest on the market?
Not very good?
Oh well I think it is good.
I also think the Vermona is decent.

The Miami Labs machine is nice.
Plenty to choose from I say.
But I would gladly welcome an analog drum machine from Elecktron
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Not very good?

Only familiar with the Tempest from youtube demos, which didn't sound that great to be honest. Or at least, it doesn't sound useful to me and my music.

I've had a Jomox 999 and Vermona DRM1 mk III, neither of which are that great. Of those two I preferred the Vermona, but I found it's sweet spot to be way too narrow, you can easily replace it with samples.

Miami is great, but it's not a new machine to be precise, just a clone. A good clone though. I wouldn't mind owning one, but still I'd prefer an analog drum machine which does NOT sound like an 808 or a 909. New sounds for a new generation and all that.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

i bought the xbase 999 from jomox a few weeks ago. it's heaven for my music.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
A polysynth based on the A4 voice architecture (+ wavetables?) would sound great. Maybe a keyboard even.
for the poly part, i've read on the elektron forum that they are working on a polymode (4voice and 2x2 voices)
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
i bought the xbase 999 from jomox a few weeks ago. it's heaven for my music.
I really wanted to love the Jomox, but in the end I found it difficult to work with. Sounds ok in isolation, but it was REALLY hard to use it in a song context, it just took so much frequency space (without sounding awesome) that it buried everything under it. Everything I made with it sounded too busy and very muddy, nothing like a 909 for example.

EQ helps of course, but I'd really like a drum machine that sounds awesome without any processing.

Could be just my experience with it though, some people seem to love it.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawa View Post

Could be wrong but it seems for most extents and purposes you could accomplish such with the A4?
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

you can get some decent percussion out of the analog 4, but a machine dedicated to drums would no doubt give mich better results i'm sure

i would not be surprised if they did indeed come out with an analog or hybrid drum machine, imagine mixing machinedrum style voices into the signal path could get fun too
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only familiar with the Tempest from youtube demos, which didn't sound that great to be honest. Or at least, it doesn't sound useful to me and my music.

I've had a Jomox 999 and Vermona DRM1 mk III, neither of which are that great. Of those two I preferred the Vermona, but I found it's sweet spot to be way too narrow, you can easily replace it with samples.

Miami is great, but it's not a new machine to be precise, just a clone. A good clone though. I wouldn't mind owning one, but still I'd prefer an analog drum machine which does NOT sound like an 808 or a 909. New sounds for a new generation and all that.
Fair enough I would agree most the youtube demos I have seen do the tempest no justice.
The Tempest takes a little while to master but when you do master it you will eventually know how good it can truly sound.
I love the snares, percussion and hats I can come up with on this machine.

I dont own the Vermona but i have heard it and think it sounds really good to my ears, the only problem with this machine is I want to buy one.

Jomox also sounded very nice to me.
Aside from the Miami sounding like an 808 it is a fine machine, not cheap but hell for a long time now I have wanted the real 808 and cant seem to find a decent one at a decent price so I think I am just going to drop a Miami instead and forget ever owning the real 808.
Can you believe the last 808 on the bay was trying to sell for close to $4k.
Come on.

I will pay $2k maybe $2500 but $4k that is just crazy.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawa View Post
I think they don't have the manpower or finances or perhaps even the desire to release a new box every year.

They just got finished with the Analog4, that thread here is not even cold.

I wish they'd upgrade the screens they're using, though. The ones they're using now are very TI83+.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

They only can build stuff that sells or they pull a Waldorf as well.

Poly ana comes in mind but it has to be around 1500 price range and have lotsa features to make it an allround studio/live addition.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear nut

I have a different take on where Elektron may be headed next, and it's pure speculation, perfect for this forum. They're going to do whatever fits best into Dataline's workflow, which will have the side benefit of selling like hotcakes to us unwashed masses as well. That guy is seriously skilled at using his own machines, almost as if... they were designed solely for him!
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Not very good?

They either need to beat the competition's price point, or make a superior machine, better sounding, easier yet full fledge interface.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hybrid drum machine. Digital sequencer, samples and synthesis.. analog filters and vcas. Some analog and digital fx in the respective parts of the singnal path

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

https://soundcloud.com/rust-creep/grundle
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
Hybrid drum machine. Digital sequencer, samples and synthesis.. analog filters and vcas. Some analog and digital fx in the respective parts of the singnal path
And you'd willing to pay how much for it?
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i think the win would just be an updated machinedrum

throw in the microtiming and other sequencer features of the octatrack, add more dsp for FX and synthesis types and a better/friendly/expanded sampler honed for drum sounds and i think it'd be a big hard to resist.

i don't give 2 shits about it being analog. just make it sound good and put a bunch of outputs or sticka DB25 connector or two on there for studio use.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

The A4 is a drum machine if you want it to be.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think we will see anything new for a couple of years. I think we would see one of the older machines discontinued first.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
The A4 is a drum machine if you want it to be.
Indeed. Sound Locks are pretty powerful; if the snare is only hitting on beats 2/4, that's a whole lot of space to use for other sounds.

I see two years before a new Elektron machine comes out. Maybe a black MachineDrum mkIII with a more powerful DSP so it can have the OT's more powerful sequencer. Of course, if it is just that sort of thing I bet they could have it done in a year since a lot of the DSP coding has been done in the MD and OT themselves already.

Though didn't they only make the mkII machines because of supplier issues?
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear interested

I would love to see them make an analog drummachine.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

yeah i thought that right after A4 release, that ultimate dream would be them releasing AnalogDrum

8 indiviudal plus stereo outputs
8 all analog circuit drums
4 lofi pcm channels with flashROM and ability to load going into analog circuitry
ability to do some analog saturation/distortion on two of the channels
2 cv/trigger outputs for external sources
parameter locks

but most imporant. non spartan user interface with knobs for most important sound design functions on the analog channels. so you can do most you need without any menus.

i doubt its gonna be that way but i can dream.

skawa
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
yeah i thought that right after A4 release, that ultimate dream would be them releasing AnalogDrum

8 indiviudal plus stereo outputs
8 all analog circuit drums
4 lofi pcm channels with flashROM and ability to load going into analog circuitry
ability to do some analog saturation/distortion on two of the channels
2 cv/trigger outputs for external sources
parameter locks

but most imporant. non spartan user interface with knobs for most important sound design functions on the analog channels. so you can do most you need without any menus.

i doubt its gonna be that way but i can dream.
yea I have a feeling they will do something like that. though no idea when it would come out a year or two, only they would know. since the marketing went so well for the A4 and with all the new analog gear coming out.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear nut

I remember before the A4 came out Elektron being very adamant about how the new hardware would not make any of their current gear obsolete. I think it might be a long time before they do an analog drum machine, when Machinedrum really does need a makeover to stay relevant. An analog drum machine in the next couple years might compete too much with the Machinedrum, unless it could be as different as the Monomachine and A4 are.

I think we may see Elektron develop a couple new, innovative products for their lineup before they begin to make a Machinedrum III or Octatrack II or whatever.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

To be honest all the would need to do would be make the sampling on the current machinedrum 24 bit stereo capable, make the memory 128mb flash, add USB and steal the Analog Fours "performance mode" and they would be onto a winner big time IMHO.

Want some promotion? Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
I guarantee you get a decent number of listens.
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
To be honest all the would need to do would be make the sampling on the current machinedrum 24 bit stereo capable, make the memory 128mb flash, add USB and steal the Analog Fours "performance mode" and they would be onto a winner big time IMHO.
I would love something like that.

Perf mode rules. A4 is my first elektron, and I was worried I wouldn't get on with the multipurpose knob array. The editing pages with dedicated buttons + perf mode is ideal though. It's fast enough and well organized to get to any edit parameter when programming, but then you can purposefully limit yourself to only the best macro tweaks for recording/performing. It works so slick in practice and it's still fast and easy to dig in and get to a parameter you didn't assign to a perf knob.

Now if it only had one handed track muting while in perf mode!
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Instead of new machine I would love an update of MD OS bringing microtiming and sample editing (or just the ability to slice your samples inside the MD) - IMO should be no sweat for the Elektron guys to implement both things.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Anolog drum machine sounds awesome. Never really got along with the MD's sound although i kept it over the years because it's just fun to work with.

But if you look at Elektron's catalog, the thing what is really missing is a dedicated FX unit (bar perhaps the Octatrack which also can be used as FX ofcourse).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search