How to create this Sound?
savagedog
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear interested

How to create this Sound?

Hi has anybody a idea how i can create the synthi sound in the first 15 Sec. of following video?

Muse - Knights Of Cydonia (Video) - YouTube

Thanx a lot

Ps. we have the Complete NI installed on the university (massive, absynth, Fm8, guitarrig ect.)
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Hey Savagedog,

I'm glad you posted this, this is one of my all time favourite pieces of music!

I've finally got it figured out and even though my sound is only 95% accurate, I think I've come to understanding how this sound works. Allow me to explain.

I've replayed the opening of the song several times, struggling to find a good place to start, I understood it has a slow attack, long decay but I've noticed it has a clean quality to it as well, so I suspected it consisted of sine waves, and a quick zoom into an oscilloscope confirms that! I also noticed that I'm struggling to pitch the note of the synth so that means there are a few oscillators playing, detuned from each other. I can also hear pitch modulation (a VERY fast vibrato), so long story short:

3 osc(sine wave)- a few cents out of tune of each other(slow attack, long decay etc), fast(but subtle) sine wave LFOs on the pitch of the oscillators and put a reverb on the master out.

Hope my explanation was thorough and clear. I re-created this sound using sytrus, but you can just about do it in any multiple oscillator plug-in/ synth.

Best Regards,
Mul

PS sorry for glitch at start of sample, my computer is ill :(
Attached Files
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Oops, I forgot to add: There is a low sub/rumble in the synth of the song which I didn't incorporate in my example.

and sorry for glitch at the start of my example, my computer is ill! :(

Last edited by Mullaha; 10th February 2013 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: explaining example glitch
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear addict

Thats sounds pretty close. Good job Mullaha.
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Thanks for listening Halma!
savagedog
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullaha View Post
Hey Savagedog,

I'm glad you posted this, this is one of my all time favourite pieces of music!

I've finally got it figured out and even though my sound is only 95% accurate, I think I've come to understanding how this sound works. Allow me to explain.

I've replayed the opening of the song several times, struggling to find a good place to start, I understood it has a slow attack, long decay but I've noticed it has a clean quality to it as well, so I suspected it consisted of sine waves, and a quick zoom into an oscilloscope confirms that! I also noticed that I'm struggling to pitch the note of the synth so that means there are a few oscillators playing, detuned from each other. I can also hear pitch modulation (a VERY fast vibrato), so long story short:

3 osc(sine wave)- a few cents out of tune of each other(slow attack, long decay etc), fast(but subtle) sine wave LFOs on the pitch of the oscillators and put a reverb on the master out.

Hope my explanation was thorough and clear. I re-created this sound using sytrus, but you can just about do it in any multiple oscillator plug-in/ synth.

Best Regards,
Mul

PS sorry for glitch at start of sample, my computer is ill :(
Yeah you are my hero!
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagedog View Post
Yeah you are my hero!
No problem! This is my (extremely sad) hobby! I'm glad you posted this thread and given me some initiative as I LOVE this record!

Best of luck,
Mul
savagedog
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
No problem! This is my (extremely sad) hobby! I'm glad you posted this thread and given me some initiative as I LOVE this record!

Best of luck,
Mul
this a very good record. I just try to recostructed the madness bass with Massive.... but it is very hard :-D i should search for a new hobby :-D
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Madness as in the band "it-must-be-love" madness? Post the song/ bass you're trying to re-create!
savagedog
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Madness as in the band "it-must-be-love" madness? Post the song/ bass you're trying to re-create!
Madness from 2nd Law

hier a small snippet but there are to many mids
Attached Files
File Type: wav madness bass.wav (6.77 MB, 27 views)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search