Controlling Oberheim Matrix 1000 using Novation Remote SL
New Reply
Subscribe
davros303
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

Controlling Oberheim Matrix 1000 using Novation Remote SL

I just discovered my Novation Remote SL can send sysex - which means it can be used to control parameters on old synths like my Oberheim Matrix 1000. After some hunting, I've seen references to Oberheim templates floating around on a few forums (Novation, Yahoo, Ableton etc), however no one seems to have posted a copy.

Does anyone have a template, or know where I can source one?
http://static.gearslutz.com/board/im...ies/nu/061.gif
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear addict

Your going to have to do it yourself. It takes hours to set things like that up so why would anyone share all their hard work for free. You usually need to offer to exchange a skill for a skill.What have you got that others need?

Try ctrlr instead.There's a Matrix panel but I've not used it.
But again,you are going to have to learn how to use something. However,it's still half a step closer than you making your own template.

Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)

Panels | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear maniac

I once did it with Remote SL MkI -- it's a very nice exercise in sysex programming. The specs are all there in the Matrix 1000 manual. But there are more parameters than fits in one template, so you have to judge yourself what things you want to control and how to split them across multiple templates. And any real-time tweaks must be made veeeery slowly or Matrix starts coughing. After creating a such a template, you'll eat hex and crap sysex
davros303
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

Considering there are dozens of Novation templates built and freely shared for old synths - I was hoping this would be another.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
uncultured button-pusher

davros303
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks Don, much appreciated. Will check it out.

Spoinkel - I'm aware of the slow response time from the Matrix. Interestingly someone has successfully written a new OS to address the sysex latency issue. Murray @ Kiwi Technics confirmed it so this is also something I'm looking for. The idea of real-time parameter changes on the 1000 is juicy indeed.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros303 View Post
I just discovered my Novation Remote SL can send sysex - which means it can be used to control parameters on old synths like my Oberheim Matrix 1000. After some hunting, I've seen references to Oberheim templates floating around on a few forums (Novation, Yahoo, Ableton etc), however no one seems to have posted a copy.

Does anyone have a template, or know where I can source one?
http://static.gearslutz.com/board/im...ies/nu/061.gif
Here's one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6opuwqgwc7...matrix1000.zip

I've tried it, and it's working well.
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear interested

Guys, just to confirm that the Matrix 1000 is indeed fully controlable via the Novation SL MKII controlers ! After uploading the templates above (which needs some adjustments btw) to the Novation, the Matrix is responding pretty accurately to the changes made in real time by the controler WITHOUT any computer...

I'm in heaven right now.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

I built one as well. I was never able to figure out how to do the matrix programming though. Anyone ever get that done?

Also, I should note that some parameters were slower to respond than others. The VCA function would often take several seconds to complete...

Sent from my SCH-I535
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Afaik the M1000 just isn't fast enough for it to process tons of sysex data in real time, it's a hardware limitation.

Afaik there aren't "new OS's" for the M1000 although there is a hacked version of the factory OS which fixes a few bugs and uses a smaller engine update subroutine for VCF changes.

In order to take advantage of these updates the OS EPROM on the M1000 will need to be replaced with the hacked version.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

1st November 2013
Old 1st November 2013
Gear interested

Will these templates work on any of the SL versions or are they specific to a particular model? Thanks.
davros303
10th November 2013
Old 10th November 2013
Gear interested

Hi Leffo,

They should work on any model SL. It's somewhat clumsy because there's no visual to show you the current settings of the patch you're working on, so it's not until you start fiddling with each setting that you can determine where the start point of each parameter is at.

The big downside with these templates is you cannot program the mod matrix - which is where the real power of the Matrix 1000 sits. That said, there are plenty of parameters you can adjust to customise each patch, but if you want to build your own sounds from scratch you should look at one of the commercial or freeware editors.
25th November 2013
Old 25th November 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loul3a View Post
Guys, just to confirm that the Matrix 1000 is indeed fully controlable via the Novation SL MKII controlers ! After uploading the templates above (which needs some adjustments btw) to the Novation, the Matrix is responding pretty accurately to the changes made in real time by the controler WITHOUT any computer...

I'm in heaven right now.
Was just wondering...
How do you sequence the matrix when using the novation for controlling without a computer?? Doesn't that go into midi in on the matrix?
22nd December 2013
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
I once did it with Remote SL MkI -- it's a very nice exercise in sysex programming. The specs are all there in the Matrix 1000 manual. But there are more parameters than fits in one template, so you have to judge yourself what things you want to control and how to split them across multiple templates. And any real-time tweaks must be made veeeery slowly or Matrix starts coughing. After creating a such a template, you'll eat hex and crap sysex
My MKII is on the way, Obie is warming up...I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY SYSEX CHERRY POPPED!
22nd December 2013
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

I gave up using my Remote SL and now control my M1000 with a Ctrl panel mapped to one or more of my various MIDI controllers. This is the best M1000 panel i've found.

Of course there are people here wanting to control is sans computer but I thought it might be of interest to some anyway. It's certainly given me much more use of my M1000 due to far better workflow/DAW integration.
5th January 2014
Old 5th January 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I gave up using my Remote SL and now control my M1000 with a Ctrl panel mapped to one or more of my various MIDI controllers. This is the best M1000 panel i've found.
Wow, this works really well. Thanks for sharing!
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search