New Reply
Subscribe
Osc1lfo
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Osc1lfo
The Plug This Into That Thread

In this thread, you plug together two things you have never connected before, make sounds, and share the results. Write about it, maybe even post audio with some before and after examples. Perhaps we'll all find some new sounds!

XP-30 -> Boss GT-6:

Yes synths into guitar gear has been done before. I hadn't tried it. I used a BOSS GT-6 multi effects unit, which DSP models the preamp->amp->distortion->effects->speaker cab-> microphone recording chain.

It turns out to be wild fun! Tame synth patches turned into roaring screaming madness! Texture and grit galore! Faux feedback! Gain boosted into the upper stratosphere!

The GT-6 is available for bargain prices, and, unlike some of the newer, fancier BOSS floor units, it has numerous knobs for tweaking the tone. The GT-6 is all DSP based, and, so far, I find the sound quality to be excellent. For example, you can sweep the wah pedal as slowly as you like, there's no detectable zippering.

Before you start, turn down your volume - some guitar gear, even on a very quiet synth input, is going to make extremely LOUD sounds.

So, you select a guitar effect patch, and a synth patch, and disable effects on the synth. Then what?

Filter sweeps become long snarls and rasps. One combo gave me some fine shoegazer style crunchy chords in the mid and low range, and squealy feedback in the highs. It sounded just like half the stuff I hear on my local college radio station. :-)

Organs and electric pianos were given some serious bite. It's too easy to lose the original sound, but if you dial back the preamp gain, the distortion, and the amp gain, you start getting a recognizable keyboard sound with an aggressive edge.

The 8 speaker cabinet setting gives the fullest tone, it seems to have the most bass. The others seem to have quite a bit less bass, to the point of being thin and tinny sounding.

The wah pedal models make great filters. Wah has a different character than your basic synth filter. Attention modular people: You want Eurorack wah filters. You heard it here first.

This is a TON of fun. The GT-6 is a very convenient bundle of amp sims, distortion pedals, wah units, and cabinet emulations, and it opens up some great new sounds. A++ would grunge again!

Audio: Roland XP30 synth through BOSS GT6 guitar effects. WARNING-LOUD by The Total Forge on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search