Login / Register

So im thinking of setting up my own label, should i go for it?
New Reply
Subscribe
numlock3
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear interested

Now i know there is a lot of digital labels out there, but the focus of this label will be primarily to push my own sound, as i don't think it really fits into anything I've sent labels, and i don't want to make music just to fit a label sound! I have a friend who has had experience with running a digital label so i'm not asking for advice so much on how to do it, just feel uncertain on the idea. I have a good name for the label i don't want to be taken too.This music will mainly be progressive house

Anyone else got experience setting up there own label to push there own music?
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I say do it. If you have a passion for something, go all in.

Better to try and fail than regret not trying at all.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock3 View Post
I have a good name for the label i don't want to be taken too.
If you haven't registered several domain names, created new FB users/groups, a Youtube account, a SoundCloud account, the whole shebang right now you don't deserve the name.

Registering a domain costs next to nothing.
Grabbing the names on major social networks costs next to nothing.

What's the worst that's going to happen? You're going to be out of $5 or something. Call it your initial business investment.
numlock3
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

I feel a lot of fear and uncertainty in doing this, but i guess i need to just go for it like you guys said. I need to learn some more skills on the way, i really want to focus on quality of the music, and quality of the brand too.

Thanks for the reply, took what you guys have said on board. I'm hitting a block right now on finding someone who can do me a decent logo, design, without breaking the bank much. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Would be greatly appciated

I will be getting the facebook group, domain etc done tonight too!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

Do it bro, dont have a fear in nothing, you just going to be having ****ing regrets, if you dont.
Link up with some promoters and shit.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Guru

My Studio

As long as you're not announcing it to the world yet the logo can wait; you're just another SC or FB or YT user, you don't need identity yet. You can upload your material and have your grand opening in a month's time if need be.

The site just needs to contain links to the social networks you're on and possibly a modest contact form. You can be done with a Wordpress install - and any somewhat decent webhoster will offer this to you if you want to, smack a theme on it that you like the colors of. That site is not going to be the most important part anyway until you start actually selling stuff.

The logo? Some folks don't put much effort in that; they take a dingbat and some free font, throw it together in Paint.NET or whatever, blam, logo done.

Of course it's crap! So is the dime-a-dozen nonsense you get when you offer $25 or $50 on some logo sweatshop site where 20 people compete for your handful of money (and only one of 'm can win), but at least by doing it yourself you're not dragging down the profession of designer lower than it already is. Just start with something like that.
numlock3
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the help guys, its give me some food for thought
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock3 View Post
I feel a lot of fear and uncertainty in doing this, but i guess i need to just go for it like you guys said. I need to learn some more skills on the way, i really want to focus on quality of the music, and quality of the brand too.

Thanks for the reply, took what you guys have said on board. I'm hitting a block right now on finding someone who can do me a decent logo, design, without breaking the bank much. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Would be greatly appciated

I will be getting the facebook group, domain etc done tonight too!
You could try eLance for graphic design. My brother is a graphic designer as well and may be able to help depending on your budget/time constraints. PM me if interested.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

hey if you want a good looking logo, check out sites like this one Logo Design Contests $29 – Amazing Custom Logo Design Online in just 48 Hours!

the premise is that you explain what you want the logo to encompass, explain your company a little bit, etc...then people submit designs. then you pay the winner the prize you listed for ownership or the design and hi-res versions

i've never used any of the services, i just linked to that one because it seems to have a low minimum prize
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah man, go for it. Obviously you have to be pretty honest with yourself about the quality of your material and have not too crazy expectations on how things will go... but if you're passionate about your music then why not?

I think coming up with a name and logo, while important, is still the fun/creative part of it. Running a successful label is going to take a shit ton of hard work, time and planning. Even the super underground labels are usually run by people with a knack for networking and business. Fortunately you have a pal who can help you navigate that side of it, but still I would seriously consider how much time/effort you're willing to commit first and foremost.
numlock3
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks guys, yes i do think i need to have a think about the time i am prepared to put into it, with working a full time job, and trying to up my game production wise atm too, it might get too much.Thanks again for everyone's input
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

I personally would only start my own label if I had a strong following (who might buy) and good enough quantity of output to justify the leg work...because otherwise its so much easier to have a label do it for you - so you can focus on the music.

Thing is running a label so it actually means something (other than the ability to say its your own label) - you have to work at it to gain any traction. The purpose of a label is to sell music. In the digital era its not easy to sell music especially when there is a million digital labels.

Most artists as far as I can see set up their own labels once they have a confirmed 'sound' and a bunch of releases under their belt - but they also normally have label mates on a similar tip - so the label stands for more than just them as an artist. Its a 'label' - something distinct.

I think you need to ask yourself if you need to start a label to push your music - or you need to work on your music - and your brand as an artist. Im trying to suggest you can focus your time on your art - rather than the business of a label. In my experience - if music is good, and people want to buy it - a label will pick it up. It sounds arty when you are thinking about designing a logo and cool to spend a day making some social media areas - but its actually just boring chasing people about releases etc...trying to get tunes into catalogues and not sinking into the digital abyss.

If however your music is release quality, there are people wanting to buy it/following/supporting, and it really is very different from other stuff out there - then it could well be a good idea.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

^^^ that's some good wisdom right thar
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

Sort of off topic but I always thought it'd be cool if someone did a small run cassette label for house music.

There is an abundance of these labels for harsh noise, industrial and other abrasive and experimental electronic music but I have not come across one for more accessible electronic music.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm currently in the baby stages of putting a label together with some good friends and have seriously considered tape as an alternative format to vinyl. The inspiration came when I got to borrow a friends tape deck and realized ... Good tape deck through good eq and gate sounded great to me. Even on a cheap cassette. So yea I'm likely going to be doing small runs of tape within the next year or so of hopefully my music but primarily other houston artists that I really like and want to promote.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

the thing with tape is that you can make them at home for next to nothing and very high quality
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

i think tape is the next big trend honestly
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
i think tape is the next big trend honestly
Please don't take this the wrong way if I'm wrong, but is this sarcasm? Tapes have been a huge thing in many circles for quite awhile now. I have friends who have been running successful tape labels for close to a decade now, and it really started blowing up again probably about three or four years ago. Again, don't mean to come off snobby, but just saying this definitely isn't a brand new trend.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

i didn't say new trend, i said next big trend

the kids who grew up and poured through their parents vinyls and supported that revival are older now

now kids are growing up and finding their parents cassettes, so it will be "trendy" for teens, thinking they are hip and vintage

then 10-15 years after that we'll see cds

then 10 years after that, kids will listen to music via headphones or speakers, and not telepathically
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Ha ha it's true. the CD revival is probably imminent. How bizarre, but I suppose that's just the post-post modern world we live in. Can't wait for the Beats by Dre brain implant though! Overhyped bass straight to your brain stem!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

hahaha it would be awesome!

i have a degree in neuroscience and honestly we may not be too far away from that...people kind of underestimate just how much brain-computer interfacing is going to evolve this century. kind of scary and fascinating at the same time.

but hopefully not mind-blowing
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't quite get some people's obsession with cassettes. Besides hipster cred, what advantages does it provide compared to CD and vinyl? I don't see any.

I can see the point of recording stuff on cassette in a studio to make it more lofi, but I don't see the point of it as a distribution format.

Is it just nostalgia?
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

yeah, basically.

it's all about the hipster cred / nostalgia....to hell with sound quality!

6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I don't quite get some people's obsession with cassettes. Besides hipster cred, what advantages does it provide compared to CD and vinyl? I don't see any.

I can see the point of recording stuff on cassette in a studio to make it more lofi, but I don't see the point of it as a distribution format.

Is it just nostalgia?
Maybe that's a part of it. I honestly just thought they sounded good and as an artist I am interested in tape purely as an aesthetic choice. I do plan on doing the whole Download code thing. So really it's like you're getting the tape for free (or close to it)

I just think it'd be an interesting thing to do in cases where I can't afford vinyl, which I still plan on doing. CDs seem more pointless to me honestly in this day and age.

But yea, I think proper hipsters would get into something like this and I have no problem marketing towards that. I consider myself a hipster for the most part, at least I somewhat fit the criteria and I just live in a hipster part of town.
msl
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
$29 logos are like $10 mastering, you get what you pay for. Use a proper designer, have some love for what you project to the world.

Just recently paid a company £900 for a 3 page website. Total and utter crap - like something from 1996, earl days of web design. I wasn't expecting A class for that money, but I expected something I wouldn't be embarrassed to show publicly. Im at a stalemate with the company. They wont refund me, and wont put any more hours in to the project unless I give them more money. Cool...The saying you get what you pay for isn't always true - especially in today's world.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

OP,

The thing about starting a label is you have to watch for being consumed by the admin side. All that social media, writing your own PR and a million other little things that soon take over and you end up spending only 20% of your time making music.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I've been getting students from the local universities to do work for me. There are other risks you have to deal (flakeyness mostly) but a lot of them are still creative and hungry and will do good work just to add you to their portfolio.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

80% Marketing
20% Music
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search