Login / Register

MPC 3000 + S950 SAMPLER or MPC 3000 + CF READER/ ZIP READER - BEST OPTION?
New Reply
Subscribe
DEFN
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

MPC 3000 + S950 SAMPLER or MPC 3000 + CF READER/ ZIP READER - BEST OPTION?

Hey Everyone!

Hope your all good?

Ok so known for a long time that the MPC 3000 doesn't have time-stretch capabilities.

But looking at one of two options to solve this

1. Purchase a AKAI S950 rack sampler and use it for its time-stretch capabilities and then use the MPC 3000 as the sequencer to trigger the sampled sounds in the S950.

(My worries about this is that because the S950 is 12-bit and the MPC 3000 is 16-bit will there be compatibility problems and are there any things in particular to be wary about when buying old AKAI S950's. Also is there a better rack sampler than the S950 and will i really use it for its other functions or will it just end up sitting in my rack set-up)

2. Cheaper option is to purchase an iomega zip drive reader thats USB and use software to time-stretch samples and chop them in to individual samples, then save them to iomega zip or floppy disk and then import them into the mpc. Or i could get a CF card reader?

(My worry is that will my Mac desktop read the iomega USB zip reader or are they just formatted to Windows computers. Also timestretching and slicing via digital software will i lose any quality in the samples that im using?)

3. Sell the MPC 3000 and get a Dave Smith Tempest to go a different direction and then later on buy a AKAI MPC 2000 or 2000XL

(Will i regret selling my beloved MPC 3000)

Any advice will be great, as i've been doing my research but still cant make that final decision

Cheers Nick
DEFN
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

no thoughts on this?
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

Is timestretching the only deal-breaker here?

S950s? Just get a new display for it - 40x2 Character LCD Module Module LCM HD44780 | eBay and consider an HxC floppy upgrade.

How about an Octatrack? You could use it as a companion device of sorts, let the MPC act as master and resample/stretch anything you want to on the Octatrack. Not as cheap as an S950 though.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

People tend to buy the S950 for the beef it adds to drums. Time stretching effect is cool, but not a essential purchase if thats all you want it for.

also if you are just sequencing the S950 with a MPC you can easily use a 60/2000xl, both oldschool but cheaper than a MPC3000

I sell CF Drives for MPC3000/60

here is a thread where I made a hugegantic post about the pro's and con's
MPC 3000 card reader

personally, what I've decided to do is use my s950 and ASR as colour box's and build a computer sound library of sounds from my 950/ASR, then transfer them to my MPC3000 via CF card and sequence them there, this means I don't have to p*ss about with midi lag, and can use recycle to edit samples - i might find that the MPC4000 is better for this task at a later date.

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFN View Post
(Will i regret selling my beloved MPC 3000)
Yes you would regret it.

I presume you picked the s950 because you are into it's sound. If so, then nothing really replaces it. I like the sound of the s950 in particular, and it's timestretch sounds cool and is FAST, so I'd get the 950 over the 900, but other akais may serve you better according to taste. If you're not so set on the 12 bit tone, then S1000, s1100, or maybe a non akai might offer something that interests you.

Akai s950 timestretch has a very particular sound, but you can certainly do your chopping and stretching on a computer without losing any quality. And if you want to emulate that akai stutter, there is even a standalone program akaizer that copies the algorithm.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

Link: The AKAIZER Project

Because it's 100% software in the Akai you can pass in a reference file, make some educated guesses about the stretching algorithm, and check the results for bit-for-bit correctness
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

squatski here. s950-king

You don't need to worry about the contrast between the 3000 and the s950/s900. I dont know alot about the mpc3000 but it's from the same family as the s1100 samplers which I do have. The s950, despite being 12bit can go from super dirty to super clean. If you want to make the most of its dirty sound I recommend you boost the high end to extreme, THEN resample on page 10. or if you wanna do it the dial-in wizard way on the Record pages, go for about 06000.

It looks like you want it clean'ish though.
as SEED says, it bumps really hard in the low-mids. Nothing comes close to the s900/s950, deffo has its sound.
DEFN
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

Hey Squatski!

Cheers for the lowdown on the S950/S900, the only thing i have heard is that say if i wanted to use the MPC 3000 as the sequencer and via midi use the pads of the mpc to control the samples inside the S950. I heard that there is sometimes a bit of latency i.e. that the sounds from the S950 run sometimes a little behind the metronome of the MPC 3000.

Maybe you can just let me know if this is the case or not?

Im kinda of leaning towards selling my MPC 3000 and buying the new Korg MS-20 MINI and a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 then just getting a cheaper MPC that can handle time-stretch like the 2000/2000XL

Does anyone know if the 2000 has time-stretch capabilities?

Also the other problem about the 2000/2000XL is that they dont all come with all individual 8 outs, do they? Which i will need for the way i mix my productions on the fly...

Cheers Nick
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Why is the time-stretching so important? It's not like those old Akais have the kind of stretching capabilities that modern DAW's have anyway, it's more of a funny effect kind of thing (think old jungle and speed garage). Definitely not clean and without artifacts. It DOES sound good though, it just doesn't have much to do with, say, Ableton's warping.

If you need to timestretch loops AND use an old sampler, I'd stretch them with a computer and then sample with the HW sampler.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

@Barfunkel the point of getting a S950 is for its sound, those so called 'artifacts' is what made so many good records throughout the 90s. That snappy metallic sound is pure gold!

Im sure Squatski can back me up on this one?
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFN View Post
@Barfunkel the point of getting a S950 is for its sound, those so called 'artifacts' is what made so many good records throughout the 90s. That snappy metallic sound is pure gold!

Im sure Squatski can back me up on this one?
I am aware of how the S950 sounds, I owned one for 10 years! I was simply asking, as it wasn't clear from the OP why he needs timestretch. It's a wonderful effect, but it has a sound of it's own, not something you'd use for similar purposes you use a more modern timestretch algorhithms.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

MPC3000 >>s3000 original (not XL - and not S1000/S1100 which both sound 'better' or more vintage than a s3000)

midi timing between MPC3000 and S950 shoul dbe no issue - s series rack samplers are known for rock solid mid triggering - if you got midi lag between MPC3000+S950 its operator error innit.

s950 timestretch vs 2000xl time stretch sound completely different. s950 being better 'effect', 2000xl being more practical.

3000 sounds better than a XL btw - 2000xl is perfectly cool, but more metaliic sounding (not like s950 or MPC3000).

etc etc blah blah - get googling, ton of similar threads on this forum!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search