Looking for DAW controller
Fckthwrld
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear nut

Looking for DAW controller

Hey!

As I mentioned in another thread i bought my first DAW - the Ableton Live 8 Suite. As this is my first DAW i want to buy Hardwarecontroller for it.

I wanna have a really minimalistic desc, with a small midikeyboard and a DAW Controller only. I want to use my controller in the studio, to change parameters of instruments, "program sounds" in vst instruments and fine tuning, hava start/stop/rewind button.

I dont want to controll only Ableton instruments with it.

Is "Push" the way i should go, or what would you recommend?

G

Fckthwrld
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear nut

i have 1 novation zero sl mkII just for the DAW and works great. the workflow improved a lot.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fckthwrld View Post
Hey!

As I mentioned in another thread i bought my first DAW - the Ableton Live 8 Suite. As this is my first DAW i want to buy Hardwarecontroller for it.

I wanna have a really minimalistic desc, with a small midikeyboard and a DAW Controller only. I want to use my controller in the studio, to change parameters of instruments, "program sounds" in vst instruments and fine tuning, hava start/stop/rewind button.

I dont want to controll only Ableton instruments with it.

Is "Push" the way i should go, or what would you recommend?

G

Fckthwrld
I think that you should wait for Push, but I did pick up an sl zero mk 1 for under $100. If you can find one cheap I think that you will be happy with it for a while.

Though if you want a midi controller on your desk I would get an SL with keys built in. Faders feel cheap knobs are pretty good.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

I do think going for push is a good idea as far as versatility and performance is concerned.
The SL is also a good thought but personally I think I would take BCR2000 and the fader one over it. They are a very good addition and pretty unbeatable imo at the price, even if they look like shit ().
Fckthwrld
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear nut

Thank you three!

Do you think i will be able to controll every parameter on push as easy as with an sl zero mk 1 or 2?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

I have a Livid CNTRLR and love it.

I found the Novation Zero (which i also have) to be really small and rigid. Plasticy as well.

The Livid stuff is amazing IMO. highly configurable and better feedback visually with whats going on on screen.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

FOA what is your budget? Depending on that I think you might want to check out the dedicated controllers for Ableton Live first and foremost, as I'd assume they are optimal for it, however I would also reccomend checking out getting a used Behringer BCR2000, 32 assignable knobs, 8 assignable buttons and dedicated transport controls...

Also you mentioned a mini keyboard, how many keys do you want?
Tuesday Knight
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Tuesday Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neant View Post
I do think going for push is a good idea as far as versatility and performance is concerned.
The SL is also a good thought but personally I think I would take BCR2000 and the fader one over it. They are a very good addition and pretty unbeatable imo at the price, even if they look like shit ().
Have you seen how push works? lmao.

Fckthwrld
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

well - i dont like budgets. as i said i want to have a really minimalistic workingplace, with 2 or 3 controllers. i really want to know my gear, and i hate it when there are to many controllers around. i dont want to buy shitty controllers, if they are expensive i will wait till i have the money.

i already got an 49 keys keyboard, but for most things its to large. something smaller would be okay. would you recommend to buy a mix of a controller/keyboard thing, or isnt this really working?

again what i want:
-control instrument parameters, so i can do sound design in a natural way
-control the mixer
-transport
-arrengement view

i dont need a controller for launching clips only, like the apc20. push looks interesting, but i dont know if this is what i need as beginner... or if it can do what i want.

thank you for helping.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

like i said above, check the Novation SL series. there's a few nice controllers.
i have the 37SL to control the softsynths, everything assigned like i want, and i also have the Novation Zero MKII just for the DAW. it's for assigning everything i want but just in the DAW.

hope that helps.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Novation DOES feel cheap.
The reason to get it over the BCR (or in addition to the BCF) is the auto mapping LCD screens.
They aren't perfect, but having labeled parameters is way more like having a traditional synth then an unmarked field of faders and knobs.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

I'm guessing Nektar's P Series will eventually support Live. I'm not sure of how full of control you get, IE controlling the LCD on the controller, without their VST and scripting specifically for the DAW.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fckthwrld View Post
well - i dont like budgets. as i said i want to have a really minimalistic workingplace, with 2 or 3 controllers. i really want to know my gear, and i hate it when there are to many controllers around. i dont want to buy shitty controllers, if they are expensive i will wait till i have the money.

i already got an 49 keys keyboard, but for most things its to large. something smaller would be okay. would you recommend to buy a mix of a controller/keyboard thing, or isnt this really working?

again what i want:
-control instrument parameters, so i can do sound design in a natural way
-control the mixer
-transport
-arrengement view

i dont need a controller for launching clips only, like the apc20. push looks interesting, but i dont know if this is what i need as beginner... or if it can do what i want.

thank you for helping.
Right on man! I totally understand, unfortunately TBH I am really not up on the new all in one controllers as I have always needed 88 weighted keys with AT...sorry I can't be of more help, but I would definitely check out and research what others have posted as I'm sure there are people here that have experience with the new gen of all in one small controllers. Good luck!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight View Post
Have you seen how push works? lmao.
And your point is?

Nektar states that Panorama already has Live support already on their website.

As for the LCD's on SL's - do consider that point. I could go for BCR2000 and use it without a problem as I usually don't really need to see what which knob is doing after some time but I understand that for many people it's much easier to just have the parameters laid out on a screen.
(I'm not saying it wouldn't be easier for me aswell but I prefer the 32 encoders and cheap price, I can do with paper layouts when I need them )
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search