Mike Dehnert Productions
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

Mike Dehnert Productions

Evening. Just wondering if anyone has the faintest idea about how exactly Mike Dehnert achieves that seriously heavyweight sound on his productions? The kick/bottom end just blows me away every time I listen to one of his tracks.

Sounds like there's a fair bit of sub going on but the kick still gets through.

Any thoughts??

mb

Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I read an interview where he said he's all analog. Then again, I've also heard that he's all digital (don't remember where I read that from though).

Only the man himself knows the truth.

One thing's for sure though, his sound is HEAVY. I got no idea how to even approach that sound, I'm simply lost.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I read an interview where he said he's all analog. Then again, I've also heard that he's all digital (don't remember where I read that from though).

Only the man himself knows the truth.

One thing's for sure though, his sound is HEAVY. I got no idea how to even approach that sound, I'm simply lost.
LOL me too Barfunkel, me too! I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure it out though.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Which track? YouTube it...

Sent from my GT-I9100T
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
Which track? YouTube it...

Sent from my GT-I9100T
I think I already embedded one in my original post Greg...maybe it's not showing up if you're using your phone.

This is the full link Mike Dehnert - Brauchbar - YouTube but really any of his productions...they all have that super-dense quality to them

mb
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Here's a few MD tracks that I'm fond of. The first one I even put on my latest DJ mix.

Like I said, no idea to where even start. No synthesizer I know of makes such (thunderous, bassy, cavernous) sounds on it's own. So, there's probably tons of processing on his tracks, particularly heavy compression and reverb. But, I haven't used a compressor that would get such results.
Old 16th June 2013
Gear addict

Really curious too, since I follow him the question beats me eery time a listen to his tracks!! Sometimes the drums seems to have p-locks so i thought Elektron but the character is not elektron.. For the chords I think he somethimes uses FM through analog filters.. But it's realt hard to achieve his personal, fat, punchy, heavy and recognizable sound!!
Old 16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear
Sounds like Gaetek records from 97... not a bad thing... but I don't find his sound too personal..

Cool stuff.. little slow and bit Berghain for my tastes.. but I like the punch.
Old 16th June 2013
Geariophile

Indeed, proper punch. Lovely. Someone had to be doing something that actually feels physical the way it drops amongst all the shiny, hollow wash. Nice!!!
Old 17th June 2013
Yeah I also like his stuff, esp his low end and kicks.

Old 17th June 2013
Gear addict

brilliant producer. see him live if you get the chance, great dj too.

can't find it on youtube but this track: spektrum1 is a great example of his signature sound
Old 17th June 2013

The dude says very briefly in the interview that he doesn't use distortion but am pretty sure in that "brauchbar" track he's ran the whole thing through an overdrive (sounds like odd harmonics) on a pre-send or something highpassed quite a bit as it's quite prominent across all the elements.including the percs that come in half way through the track and the general tone of the mids is quite "honky"if i didn't check the date i would of thought this was made in the early 90ies.it catches that vibe very authentically

The kick just sounds like every kick i've ever heard in minimal house just with a very "wooden" sounding transient (possibly an effect of the overdrive) which i don't think grooves very well with that what i think is an fm bass.the bottom end just sounds like it is slightly over eq'd i don't think there's anything particularly unusual or out of the ordinary going on there.

Very little compression on this though.it's there it becomes most prominent when the delay feedback gets longer and the filters opened up

Much prefer the sound of stephan bodzin (and aliases),gregor tresher,extrawelt,tobias schmidt

(Asks about kick and i go on a rant...apols lol)

Just checked out some more of his stuff on beatfarts (beatport)..actually pretty good.has a bit of robert babicz sound to it.can't tell for sure but sounds like he's using tape alot on some of his more modern releases (or that could be the mastering) thanks for bringing him to my attention

Johnynotknow
Old 17th June 2013
Geariophile

Probably if it is analog he just makes use of a bit of running fairly hot into the channels of his desk, hence the kick sound. Which to me is lovely.

This guy to me has a very honest and less plastic-contorted sound than most.
Old 17th June 2013
Gear addict

Old 17th June 2013
Gear maniac

another boring german minimal producer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehnert
I will take the Techno sound in the next higher level(for me).
mediocre level.

i cant hear anything special on his tracks.
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riphead View Post
another boring german minimal producer.

mediocre level.

i cant hear anything special on his tracks.
Who do you rate in the minimal techno genre, besides the obvious like Robert Hood, Daniel Bell, Basic Channel guys and such?

I don't think Dehnert is a musical genius or anything, but imo his tracks stand out in the genre, particularly if you compare him to most modern minimal producers.
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Guru

Personally I'm a big fan. Apart from the inventive production, the harmonic intent tends to be deceptively inventive.
If he doesn't use distortion I agree he must be running into his pre-amps or desk very hot. Most of his sounds are saturated and quite a few are downright dirty.
Lot's of additional processing, sampling and re sampling I think.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search