Totally blind person just orderd elektron analogue 4 will i handle it?
sound warrior
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Totally blind person just orderd elektron analogue 4 will i handle it?

hey all i'm trey from england and i'm totally blind.ive just orderd the elektron analogue 4 after trying my tutors i was so impressed with the sound that i decided to order one for use in my college course and home studio. On first impressions the menus don't seem to be too difficult to navigate and the well defined up and down and yes and no buttons coupled with the fact that the menues don't around are definite pluss points.

But how difficult do you guys think the menus are to navigate? and how good do you guys think the machine will be for a blind person over all?

your help that this question and input would be most welcome kind regards trey.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

No idea.. but you've given me an idea. I have a mono synthesizer fetish... Now I want a custom synth with all parameters labled in braille.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

with time and practice you can master anything. Although I don't own one, from what I have seen I can imagine you should be up to the task. I'm sure the learning curve may be steep, but with how knobby that thing is you sure will have a decent control over the device. I think you made the right choice, I have a friend who owns some incredible analogue equipment, and he favourites the Analogue 4 over all of it.

Wish you the best of luck man, I'm sure you'll have it under control in no time!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

hard to say not being in the position you are in, but elektron gear doesn't strike me as blind friendly gear... the menu levels aren't so deep in A4 but there are many parameters on each page which would require memorizing, and i'm only speaking the basic stuff that doesn't require function commands. loading,saving & naming kits, sounds & projects would probably be the hardest but i don't want to discourage you..may i recommend you post in elektron user forum for perhaps better feedback.. by the way there's a blind girl on YT that can fully program an alpha juno without the PG-300 so i guess anythings possible if you put your mind to it!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

That's a ton of buttons but I guess that once you memorize the layout it'll be a matter of counting inwards from on side of the unit or the other. Hopefully it doesn't rely too much on display screen messages.
sound warrior
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

are you blind bro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
No idea.. but you've given me an idea. I have a mono synthesizer fetish... Now I want a custom synth with all parameters labled in braille.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
are you blind bro?
<deleted by moderator - insulting>

Last edited by Reptil; 4th February 2013 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: a million facepalms
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Edit: I'm almost positive that ^^^ is a misunderstanding. Studio mood is generally a helpful dude ...internets
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Of course you can. Nothing overly complex about the A4. Let us know how it goes!
sound warrior
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

i'm nnnot dum in answer how ever i will say that the question i asked may have lead you to belive other wizeee i'm ssssorry i didn't mean to offend any one
sound warrior
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Well I think moog are bringing out a brail over lay for the sub phatie and i'm sorry if my previous question offended you i didn't mean any offence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomood View Post
are you dumb bro?
You may be the most insensitive moronic duesche-bag of a poster I've EVER seen post here! The person is blind and asking for our help, how in god's name do you get off insulting him or her?!!!!

I hope you get banned for that one (and I certainly don't mind taking a moderator hit for calling out such abhorrent behavior!)

You owe Sound Warrior and this forum a sincere apology!

Andrews
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear maniac

I setting up performances on the A4 would be pretty hard without the screen. Also the list of mod destinations for instance is very long and there's no click when you turn these encoders, so it won't always be possible to tell where you are.

I do think if you're going to put a lot of effort into learning a contemporary synth, this is a good one. It delivers great results right out of the box.

If I were to pick synths that would be easy for the blind, I would go with real analog stuff. Real pots (not encoders) and switches which indicate their position by feel. Sub Phatty, MS-20 reissue, Macbeth, Dark Energy, etc.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

If you want a great synth with the step sequence AND a tactile design, perhaps a combo of most of the Moog synths combined with a dedicated hardware sequencer like Analog Solutions Europa (a fantastic piece I personally love a fins inspiring).

THEN you can add synths as you go... The Arturia Minibrute would be great, the Moog Minitaur would be great... In the end, you may build a stronger set-up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm tempted by the A4 myself but am a bit daunted by its reputation do menus and odd workflow (many love it once you "get it," but it seems like a learning curve)

Would love to help further, as would many others here!

Andrews
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomood View Post
are you dumb bro?
I would imagine you replied in that way because you weren't paying attention to the fact that the OP was the one asking you that question (even though it was a juvenile response regardless)... At least I would hope so. On the flip side of things, if you were aware that that was the OP... What the f*ck is wrong with you!?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You may be the most insensitive moronic duesche-bag of a poster I've EVER seen post here! The person is blind and asking for our help, how in god's name do you get off insulting him or her?!!!!

I hope you get banned for that one (and I certainly don't mind taking a moderator hit for calling out such abhorrent behavior!)

Andrews
+1
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Well I think moog are bringing out a brail over lay for the sub phatie
That would be awesome and I really hope they do it. I think moog are a great company anyways but that I think would earn them even more respect.

Maybe you could contact Elektron and see if they would/could work out something to help you.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
hard to say not being in the position you are in, but elektron gear doesn't strike me as blind friendly gear... the menu levels aren't so deep in A4 but there are many parameters on each page which would require memorizing, and i'm only speaking the basic stuff that doesn't require function commands. loading,saving & naming kits, sounds & projects would probably be the hardest but i don't want to discourage you..
I agree. I ditched a Monomachine because I found as a person with decent vision, the UI was cumbersome. Recently I thought I'd make good use of a Machinedrum, mostly for it's sound generation, but I ended up feeling the same way. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I find Elektron stuff to be user unfriendly. Shame because it sounds excellent.
sound warrior
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

to the person who posted about the europa and such i have one and love it and the mini broot is on order along with the a4 what i really need now!!! is a midi hardware sequencer that does cords any reccomendations? and to the person asking me if i was dumb i was onley asking a fair question it your responce really shows a high degree of stupidity on your behalf i will not coment further on the matter now lets get back to what we're all here for! talking about cool hardware!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I would think once you had a few buttons that took you back to certain places in the menus, you could find your way around.

Depends on your knowledge of synthesis.

Certainly a knob per function synthesizer and an analog sequencer would be easier.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 View Post
That would be awesome and I really hope they do it. I think moog are a great company anyways but that I think would earn them even more respect.

Maybe you could contact Elektron and see if they would/could work out something to help you.
They definitely made one for Stevie Wonder at NAMM.
May not hurt to ask elektron, or is this something easy to do yourself (please pardon my ignorance)
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Dunno if you can swap led's for braille versions. That could be a nice help.
But the interface is straightforward and should be doable.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Banned

i dont have experience with the analog 4 but judging from machine drum and mono machine i would think that the endless dials could pose a problem when there is no visual feedback..

That applies especially to safe/load dialogs and other list selections..

I would say that real analog systems are the best for people that cant see or just have one hand available.. no endless dials or hidden navigations and a better sound are the benefits..

maybe even a big modular system is maybe more manageable than some modern digi synths…
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
to the person who posted about the europa and such i have one and love it and the mini broot is on order along with the a4 what i really need now!!! is a midi hardware sequincer that does cords any reccomendations? and to the person asking me if i was dumb i was onley asking a fare question it your responce really shows a hie degree of stupiditie on your behalf i will not coment ferther on the matter now lets get back to what we're all here for! talking about cool hardware!
Good to know you like the Europa, I love it and can safely say the Minibrute is a great sounding synth with a great hands-on interface. Perhaps a Minitaur to go with it for that Moog bass sound and your covered for some great synth tones.

As for any polys, I also say classic analog not only sounds great, but should have a better interface for you, buying used means you can get deals NAND always sell back at equal or better price... A Roland Juno 60 may round out your synth studio.

Now, I warn you, this IS Gearslutz, so we'll always say "more is better," ha!

Regards and PM if you need Nynehlp at all,

Andrews aka Dirty Halo
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hardware sequencer that does chords: to be honest I rarely use HW sequencers for this. Most I have tried are a bit cumbersome when it comes to chords. Sometimes I just program two or three mono lines to achieve the same, but mostly, I use a keyboard and record the midi data (if you use ableton live, for example, you could record different chord blocks into midi clips and fire them when needed).

But to answer your question: the genoqs sequencers do it in a quite nice way. There is a small laptop version called nemo, and a bigger desktop called octopus. On the octopus you have the notes arranged on a separate circle of buttons, thus easy(er) to memorise and switch on or off. Rather expensive however and no longer manufactured. I could imagine however that it would be suited for blind operation, due to its strictly button-driven haptics and logic.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not blind but I like the aesthetic of braille and that it is universal.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

Andrews
If you look carefully, you may see that I have quoted someone in my post, who I was led to believe initially was being insensitive and sarcastic. Guess that isn't the case, but still, a ridiculously silly question to ask the OP after he just explains his current situation. I can imagine even typing is a difficult task for someone who is blind may prove difficult, and then to go on and ask after all that explaining, "are you blind bro?".

To me this is a horribly dumb question.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

Wow

I have just realised my mistake. Sound warrior was asking someone else if they were blind!!!

I thought some idiot had come in and asked SOUND WARRIOR if he was "blind bro?" and I honestly thought they were being an idiot for the fun of it. I didn't realise it was the same poster, thus pinkerton was completely right and I AM THE IDIOT who misunderstood.

Soundwarrior, apologies for misunderstanding, I actually thought it was someone sarcastically attacking you, but I just realised it was you all along!!

Sorry all!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear addict

I hope you can all see my nice post to the OP at the beginning of the thread, I would never be so nasty.

I honestly thought someone was having a dig at the OP and I thought it was pretty unfair.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

^ wow indeed

OP, the more i think about it the more A4 sounds like an absolute nightmare to operate for a blind person. i honestly find it a bit tedious even with the screen. the 10 encoders being assigned to zillion different parameters depending on which page you're on (the synth part alone has 9 times 2 pages with 10 parameters each, making a total of 180 parameters to memorize and a single parameter can have up to 5 settings when not just 1-128). i'd take others advice and get a more hands-on synth/sequencer of which there are many to choose from. the vermona perfourmer 2 comes to mind, you also get 4 analog synths but with dedicated 1 knob/switch per function, it also happens to sound great and even has poly modes. paired with a nice analog step sequencer this could be a winning combo..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search