MS20 Users: A Great Demo Video and Some Questions
New Reply
Subscribe
verve92
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

MS20 Users: A Great Demo Video and Some Questions

Below is a great video demo of the MS20 Original. Having committed to the new one arriving soon, I have some questions. The MS20 is semi- modular as stated, but having no modular experience and some curiosity to it, here you go. Rather than make this a much maligned "how to make this sound thread," which it may or may not be, I will hazard guesses right or wrong.
What I will do is type in the time on the video assuming the user is only playing the MS20 with occasional delay. Also assuming the unusual sounds have to do with the patch section.
The very first sound on the video: This sounds like an arpeggio or sequence, but the MS20 has neither and only one LFO.

2:55: Another sequencer type sound.

5:41 A beautiful voice sound I assume done with envelopes.

6:55 A cool descending scale. LFO's??

9:48 Neat sample and hold, but whats the second sound that comes in at 10:21. Looks like he is in the modulation section. But where is the sound coming from? 2nd osc?

I assume the sequencer and random LFO-like sounds are generated via the patch panel, and sample and hold, but can the MS2O be driven or drive a separate sequencer like the one in my MEK to have the MS20 sounds? Also I assume the modulation of the MEK could be used with the MS20.
Finally, I was warned the MS20 my put a modular bug in my ear and would be the perfect way to get into modular.
Looking forward to hearing your takes on this resurrected beast!
Any input and/or pros and cons would be appreciated!

EDIT: Sorry for video delay!
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

no link....no video...no happy!
verve92
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Hahaha My bad there you go!
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
The very first sound on the video: This sounds like an arpeggio or sequence, but the MS20 has neither and only one LFO.
Lfo triggers the filter cutoff, filtering noise. Than sample & hold joins the party.

Quote:
2:55: Another sequencer type sound.
That's because it's the same sound

Quote:
5:41 A beautiful voice sound I assume done with envelopes.
Yep. There's a dedicated thread about how all sorts of "vocal" like sounds are made on the ms-20 and other synths - using two parallel filters.

Quote:
6:55 A cool descending scale. LFO's??
Nope. Only sample and hold can make that kind of decending scale. It's a ramp wave (opposite shape to saw. starts up and decends down) clocked by square.

Quote:
9:48 Neat sample and hold, but whats the second sound that comes in at 10:21. Looks like he is in the modulation section. But where is the sound coming from? 2nd osc?
Correct about the sample and hold. You can see that on 10:21 he isn't raising another oscilator in the mixer - but rather messing with the envelope settings - i.e. affecting the filter which brings new harmonics to the sound.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

At least you didn't ask how to do the Disco Beat patch :-)
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear addict

I like this video as well. One helpful tip that the creator of the video posted in the video description is that the oscillators distort the filters if the VCO mixer is above 7, which explains why most sounds most people get are so gritty and aggressive. He gets some nice clean sounds, which you don't see in many other videos.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
I like this video as well. One helpful tip that the creator of the video posted in the video description is that the oscillators distort the filters if the VCO mixer is above 7, which explains why most sounds most people get are so gritty and aggressive. He gets some nice clean sounds, which you don't see in many other videos.
It's a subtlety most synthesists who learned on Moog and Roland** equipment will miss when they use something else. Interestingly the 1osc Minibrute undergoes a similar type of distortion if you push all the oscillator waveforms in the mixer section to 100%. Someone familiar with the 'safe' SH-101 would be getting very rough and gnarly results -- I think that has contributed to some of the negative reactions towards the 'Brute. As you said the MS-20 can be made to sound very nice but I mostly see people cranking the mixer to 100% if they want a particular oscillator 'on'.

**The only Roland synth I know that makes the operator aware they are overdriving the signal chain is the Jupiter 4. A very helpful LED will light up! It's a bit different because you can't mix oscillator waveforms but collectively the filter and amp can be driven to distortion.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Im trying to fight this damn thing. I dont need you! I must resist, I must resist.

So, do these things stay in tune pretty well?
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
So, do these things stay in tune pretty well?
Mine almost never goes out of tune. Can't say that about any of my old VCO analogs. I suspect the Mini will be the same or better in that regard.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

verve92
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
Im trying to fight this damn thing. I dont need you! I must resist, I must resist.
From what I have read and heard (never owned and MS20), they stay in tune better than most VCO's. I can't imagine the new one would be any worse.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Can u please post a link to the video? I can't open it otherwise. Thanks!
verve92
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Can u please post a link to the video? I can't open it otherwise. Thanks!
I assume the video in the OP? I posted it like all other videos and it has worked for others in this thread.
Where do you live? May be blocked due to location.
I will post it again here:
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search