Any idea how to make this bass sound?
New Reply
Subscribe
Robson
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

Any idea how to make this bass sound?

I'm trying to recreate this sound for the hell of it. And because its killer.

Danger - 4h30 HQ - YouTube

Bass starts at 0:15

The sustained bass part isn't to hard to get but I'm having trouble with the initial pluck. I've tried different waves on different synths with all kinds of compression and i can't get anywhere close. I cant get the punchiness of it either. Usually when i try to recreate a sound i can get it pretty close but this one has me stumped. It sounds like it should be fairly straight forward.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Robson; 1st February 2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: made a mistake
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

Have you tried sampling the bass so that each note starts at the same phase?
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Have you tried enveloper/transient designer kind of plugin? I don't know if it would help here, but just occured to me it might help.
Robson
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

I've tried an envelope shaper but it didn't do the trick. Yoozer I'm not totally sure what you mean by that, care to elaborate?
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

Well, with free-running oscillators it may depend per note on when the bass sounds the most punchy. Imagine a sinewave; the attack is going to be different when you start playing it from zero or its peak. By sampling the sound, you guarantee the same phase start for every note (in case your synth doesn't have phase reset options).

Which synths/plugins have you tried?
Robson
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

That's what I thought you meant. I don't think that would be the cause with a soft synth. I tried it with a saw wave with sylenth and it sounds fairly close but i can't get that super hard attack anywhere near what he has. I've tried using two synths, one for the attack part and one for the sustained part and then compressing the attack part a lot and dropping an envelope shaper on it And Eqing a bunch but it's just not there. I'm wondering if there's some trick I don't know about.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search