SP404SX, electribe esx or mpc500?
New Reply
Subscribe
Pedroschki
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear interested

SP404SX, electribe esx or mpc500?

I’m after a sampler –and am hoping someone could chip in with some advice as to which one’s the best for my needs:

At the moment, I sequence a blofeld, mfb522 and mopho via a tenori-on. This also triggers, via midi sync, a 3 part phrase looper on an SPD30 (drum pad).

I’d like to use one of the phrase looper parts (a separate midi channel) to play one shot samples, so intend on connecting a sampler to the midi out of the SPD30. Ideally this would have some sort of sequencer so I could use it without the SPD30 for a
bit of variety. *

I’ve narrowed down my options to the SP404 SX, MPC500 and Electribe ESX1.

Like the idea of the electribe, as could also have it synced to the tenori-on if I wanted an additional sequencing method (aim of this is very much an improv/jam setup). It doesn’t seem to offer much sampling time, but then not sure if that’s too much of an issue with one-shots? The SP404SX has substantially longer sample times, but not much in the way of sequencer. As for the MPC500, it doesn’t look particularly intuitive with the diddly screen…and doesn’t seem to offer much in terms of effects.

Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated! *
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well, the MPC 500 is a menu diving nightmare; The SP404 is a fun little sampler hampered by an awful sequencer and a very cryptic screen; Of the 3, I'd go with the Korg, it only handles 1-shot samples, but it's got a great sequencer, very little menu diving (and it's a very effective system BTW), and it's an overall fun and intuitive machine; some serious limitations, but they are easy to get around and don't ruin the overall experience.
Pedroschki
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for your take on it, think it's definitely between the electribe and the SP404 SX... Fun is what I'm after!

Must say though, have been doing a bit of research and quite like the battery power on the SP404.... Sitting on the couch pulling some samples off an mp3 player probably beats the garbage they put on tv these days!
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear maniac

wow your set up sounds like its so much fun to play around with. I dont have a similar setup but I like your idea of being able to record phrases to one shot samples and having the ability to use them however I wanted. Keep us posted on what you decide if you dont mind.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear maniac

SP404sx is a great sampler (maybe the best one of the SP series) but is mostly a sample "container", very capable for organizing numerous amount of samples into banks, and processing them with the effect section. Is a phrase sampler.
Similar case for the MPC500. But the MPC can take the role of a master sequencer into a hardware setup.

The ESX1 is quite different. It has only 288 seconds mono for samples. But this is a sample mangler. The concept allows you to squeeze to the max those 288 secs for creating patterns with them. Any modification you make to a sample into a sequence, does not affect the original source.

Actually I use a SP and and a ESX1 on my live setup. The Roland is for long samples, and adding effects to them. The ESX gives support to the sequencing processes adding sounds and beat textures.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

don't think of an Electribe as a sequencer for external gear! think it as a standalone instrument ONLY! recorded motion sequences will never reach external sample players ( read : NO ghost notes, NO sweeps, NO nothing except NoteOn,NoteOff )!!!
Pedroschki
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

Cheers all. I've just noticed akai have brought out a cheap sampler player with midi in... Mpx8. Reckon i'll get that to plug into the drum pad and see if I can also get my hands on an electribe to sync to the tenori - on. For more step sequencing fun! Does the electribe lend itself to jamming from scratch... Making up the patterns as I go along?
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

The electribes are made of fun. It's the secret ingredient.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search