Namm 2013 EMC Schmidt Synthesizer
Old 27th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Namm 2013 EMC Schmidt Synthesizer

Old 27th January 2013
Gear interested

I think it sounds great. Any news if it actually will be produced sometime?
I liked his comment on last years musikmesse:

It’s got 157 knobs. That’s about 153 more knobs than most synthesizers, these days.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

He has been showing this one off at Musicmesse or frankfurt for last 3 years.

Expect it to be boutique and cost more than a small car.

Cheers
Old 27th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

Cheers
EMC have given us some information. it will be 18000 Euro plus fees and taxes. It will be released in the middle of the year. if you want to go on the pre order list, just send EMC an email. they have taken everyones names down and they will contact us if a deposit is needed.

im a going to be getting one. so pumped.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear maniac
18,000 euro? That's about £15,000 or $24,000

Wow he better produces some fantastic video/audio demo for it. The video from NAMM (which of corse was too brief and with background noise) didn't shout 'I'm worth £15,000' to me.

But wow if it is that fantastic I can't wait to hear/see more about it
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

Those clav sounds bring a tear to my eye.
Old 27th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
18,000 euro? That's about £15,000 or $24,000

Wow he better produces some fantastic video/audio demo for it. The video from NAMM (which of corse was too brief and with background noise) didn't shout 'I'm worth £15,000' to me.

But wow if it is that fantastic I can't wait to hear/see more about it
Hang on I might have made a mistake. When I converted the price from euro it was 20000 us plus taxes and shipping. Just email Emc and you will get the price. It's expensive, but it's a real instrument not a computer. It's no different to buying a nice grand piano.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress View Post
Hang on I might have made a mistake. When I converted the price from euro it was 20000 us plus taxes and shipping. Just email Emc and you will get the price. It's expensive, but it's a real instrument not a computer. It's no different to buying a nice grand piano.

Except from the demos we have seen over the last few years it seems to be all specs and no heart. I would love to be proved wrong.
Old 27th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
Except from the demos we have seen over the last few years it seems to be all specs and no heart. I would love to be proved wrong.
U can email Emc if u serious about a preorder. They would not put us on a list if they did not plan to produce it. I'm hearing reports the list is already in the hundreds and they have far exceeded the initial expectations.

Producing fifty of them is no where near as hard as producing several hundred.

It's not like they make them off an automated production line like Dave smith. I love his stuff but it's mass market stuff. This thing is in a league of its own.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
U can email Emc if u serious about a preorder. They would not put us on a list if they did not plan to produce it. I'm hearing reports the list is already in the hundreds and they have far exceeded the initial expectations.

Producing fifty of them is no where near as hard as producing several hundred.

It's not like they make them off an automated production line like Dave smith. I love his stuff but it's mass market stuff. This thing is in a league of its own.

What makes you think I would want to preorder one? Unfortunately this synth has sounded abysmal for years now... I doubt very much it will ever make it to production. (But hey... maybe it will sound amazing in the right hands... what do I know.)
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

I had a go at it the day before yesterday, and while it is hard to distill anything meaningful out of it on a noisy trade show floor, abysmal is not how I would describe the sound.

And they told me the US price would be $19,000...
Old 27th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
What makes you think I would want to preorder one? Unfortunately this synth has sounded abysmal for years now... I doubt very much it will ever make it to production. (But hey... maybe it will sound amazing in the right hands... what do I know.)
I don't know......u where here in the forum I just assumed because u liked it and wanted one. Now it is Obvious u are here trolling. Good luck to you
Old 27th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I had a go at it the day before yesterday, and while it is hard to distill anything meaningful out of it on a noisy trade show floor, abysmal is not how I would describe the sound.

And they told me the US price would be $19,000...
Well there u go. I copied his emails directly into the schmidt thread. So if people want to see the correspondence is all there.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

These days, any synth priced at over $5K is dead on arrival.

Is Schmidt making this to amuse himself?

It's insulting.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtick View Post
It’s got 157 knobs. That’s about 153 more knobs than most synthesizers, these days.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Put all the knobs, controls/sliders and keys in braille and you may be able to hock one off to Stevie Wonder.

He'll more than likely be the only one to afford this behemoth.

Cheers
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post

It's insulting.
Actually, he DID make it to amuse himself, and he doesn't give a shit what you or I may think. There is only one in existence, and over the course of six years he built it entirely for his own amusement, with no intention of selling it, mass producing it, or ever producing more than the one unit. Friends convinced him to bring it to Messe and then folks began begging him to put it into production and putting it up for sale. He resisted, but after some research into build costs determined that it would cost around $25k each to make a run of 20 units or so. So, reluctantly, and at the urging of boutique synth dealer Geoff Farr, it was determined that if fifteen pre-orders were received that a small production run would be initiated, at which time deposits would be needed.

Bottom line is, he sure as hell didn't come to the trade shows looking for dealers or customers - it was a technical exercise done for his own amusement... But, believe it or not, there ARE those for whom $25k represents a week's worth of income from royalties of TV re-runs, or one-third of the fee for a night spent spinning a DJ set - THESE are the kind of folks who will be on the pre-order list.

These are also the folks who already have the Jupiter-8, the P5, the Xpander, etc., and are STILL looking for something new, fresh, and inspiring.

I spent quite a bit of time playing the Schmidt at both this NAMM show and last year's, and it is definitely a bad mofo - I have plenty of the big old-school analog polysynths, and the Schmidt will absolutely do stuff that none of the grandpappy synths will do - and it doesn't need to be re-capped! Most folks will be fine with a King Korg or a Prophet-12. The Schmidt is definitely in the class of, "if you have to ask the price, it's not for you" - but there's room in the world for the 1970 Hemi Cuda (the Memorymoog), the Nissan Skyline r34 (the Jupiter-8), the C7 Corvette (the DSI Prophet-12), AND the Pagani Huarya (the Schmidt). Not everyone wants to drive a car (or synth) that makes "good financial sense" - some crave exotic machines that push the limits of what is possible with the technology, and the Schmidt is exactly that. It is well beyond the scope of reason and into the realm of passion - beyond "super cars" like Mclaren or Ferrari, and into "hypercar" territory, up there with the Bugatti Veyron (to stretch the automotive analogy to the limit).

I, for one, am pleased that we can choose to spend anywhere between $500 (Minibrute) and $25,000 (Schmidt) on synths.

On Friday I was told (by Thomas, as Schmidt himself was not there) that out of the fifteen pre-orders needed, only two are confirmed (and I am not one of them... yet!) Who is that flush with cash? I don't know, but I suspect one of them has the initials HZ... as for the other... hmmmm. I do believe, however, that a certain rodent-eared EDM artist bought the Fairlight CMI-30a demo unit right off the NAMM show floor for $20k - I was there as they were getting ready to box it up and load it into his assistant's waiting Range Rover.

So there's that....
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
There is only one in existence
Actually, he told me there are three now. But the rest of your story checks out with what I know. He is the distributor for Moog and other stuff in Germany, and this is a hobby project for him.
Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post

It's insulting.
another VA is insulating. the death of Analog IC's has created the death of analog synths. we have actually gone backwards since the late 80's in this respect.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear maniac
Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokut View Post
wnamm13:here comes the schmidt polysynth - video - youtube

some nice sounds and a really flexible instrument

thomas says it has moog and oberheim (spelling?) filters... Not sure if they are excatly that or moog-type oberheim-type
man those patches are truly insane.... virtual digital... haha!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who is that flush with cash? I don't know, but I suspect one of them has the initials HZ...
He actually says in the above video that the one he's using for demonstration is owned by Hans Zimmer ( and that Giorgio Moroder "played" on it .. maybe he is one of the other owners )

I'd love to have one just so i can lick that board every morning... Gorgeous..
Honestly though , based on that video, i'm not hearing anything out of this world in terms of sound... But then synth designers are usually not the best person to demonstrate their own creations ( just look at the original P12 video by Dave Smith).
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
I don't know......u where here in the forum I just assumed because u liked it and wanted one. Now it is Obvious u are here trolling. Good luck to you

Ah my mistake, didn't realize participants in your threads need to tow the party line.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post

Cheers
If its at the next Messe show I'll trade my car with it and take the train home.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear
I'm trying hard not to want one (the price is helping me a lot)
Old 28th January 2013
Gear maniac
I would like one but for me is painful and easy, I can't afford one. At least not for just one synth although a monster of a synth = I'm not getting one (:
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

If its at the next Messe show I'll trade my car with it and take the train home.

Oops!!!! I think he left one thing out and that could be the batteries for portability.

Probably need a nuclear generator just to power it up.

Anyway worst case scenario is you could run a power cord from your station into your bullet train. lolz

Cheers
Old 29th January 2013
Quote:
as for the other... hmmmm. I do believe, however, that a certain rodent-eared EDM artist bought the Fairlight CMI-30a demo unit right off the NAMM show floor for $20k - I was there as they were getting ready to box it up and load it into his assistant's waiting Range Rover.
So there's that....
That would of been my first guess.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Old 29th January 2013

Quote:
what a complete waste of a fantastic instrument. the guys has zero musical talent and doesn't work with any musicians who play keys. such an shame.

he will not bring anything back to the 80's. people knew how to play an instrument in the 80's.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search