So I got a Jupiter 4
New Reply
Subscribe
saw wave analog
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

So I got a Jupiter 4

It is the best sounding synthesizer I have ever heard. It's the one I've always been searching for, why didn't anyone tell me sooner?

:D

Seriously. This thing must be all over every song I have ever loved, because it sounds familiar in a way I've never experienced with another synth save maybe the obvious tb303. It is *epically* wide sounding. Just massive. A living, breathing, beating, powerful oscillator. The Juno 60 sitting below it, one of my favorite synths, sounds like a weed with the same patch programmed. Not even close.

I know there's a honeymoon period with new synths, but this thing literally can not sound bad. How one oscillator sounds so incredibly deep and emotive is beyond me, but it does.

Anyway. You should get one if you don't have one, because man... what a sound. PWM strings are just pure emotion coming out of the monitors... there are lives being lived in that warm, swirling ocean of sound.

A half hour in and it is my favorite synth of all time. I am now complete ^_^
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I share your joy. I bought one last year but it was broken though. The presets work but in manual mode something tweaked is going on. And the filters don't work.

I love the arp and the basic reed-like quality to the sound. If anything would convert someone to analog, this synth would.
saw wave analog
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

It is totally unique. For as basic as its functionality is, the sound is miles deep. I will be spacing out on it for hours, left a party to come back home and play it. The sound of this thing is totally haunting.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
The sound of this thing is totally haunting.
I've used words like "alive" and "emotional", but "haunting" kinda nails it. My reaction when I got mine:

I too was amazed how much range you can get from the simple architecture. Sweet spots are everywhere. I wish I had mine back from the tech already... Sigh.

- CM
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

One day I will own one.
I'd need to commit some kind of serious crime to afford one though :/
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congratulations, man!

The Jupiter-4 is pure magic.

Don't forget to join the Jupiter-4 Roll Call!
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Geariophile

I hope that this thread won't push it further out of my reach.......
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is the best sounding synthesizer I have ever heard. It's the one I've always been searching for, why didn't anyone tell me sooner?

Seriously. This thing must be all over every song I have ever loved, because it sounds familiar in a way I've never experienced with another synth save maybe the obvious tb303. It is *epically* wide sounding. Just massive. A living, breathing, beating, powerful oscillator. The Juno 60 sitting below it, one of my favorite synths, sounds like a weed with the same patch programmed. Not even close.

I know there's a honeymoon period with new synths, but this thing literally can not sound bad. How one oscillator sounds so incredibly deep and emotive is beyond me, but it does.

Anyway. You should get one if you don't have one, because man... what a sound. PWM strings are just pure emotion coming out of the monitors... there are lives being lived in that warm, swirling ocean of sound.

Hey man congrats. I have been looking at these for a long while now.

However I really want the 8. I cannot afford both I'm afraid.

I was just looking at one of these Jupiter 4 on ebay just now from Yonkers.
Looks like one big bad %$#@ monster.

1978/9 did not realize they went back so far
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

How does it compare to the Jupiter 6?

Sent from my GT-N8013
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I hope that this thread won't push it further out of my reach.......
Good point.
Could people please keep their superlatives to a minimum please.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Good point.
Could people please keep their superlatives to a minimum please.
it's crazy to buy a jupiter. they're rubbish.
get an alesis 3630 instead.

(how's that?)
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
it's crazy to buy a jupiter. they're rubbish.
get an alesis 3630 instead.

(how's that?)
That's right. Won't even do french house anyway. Just give it to your little sister and by an Alesis 3630 instead. And give me your sister's mobile number.
saw wave analog
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimconcept View Post
I haven't owned a JP6 since 2004 or so, so I can't offer a direct comparison, but I did spend a few years with one so I am pretty familiar with the sound. The JP6 to me is the weakest sounding member of the big VCO poly club. The envelopes are a bit slow and it just lacks some of the punch and warmth that the other Jupiters, P5, OB's etc have. I often hear it refered to as cold or cutting, and I think those are fair terms to use to describe its general character. It is a precise sounding synth, which may not be a bad thing if that's what you are after... But I was never really in love with it ya know? It was just kind of there, and when I sold it I never missed it. I actually prefer the Juno 60 believe it or not, it doesn't do near as much but it has the punch and even a bit of the warmth that I felt was lacking on the JP6. So basically, it's the complete opposite of the JP4 as far as general tone goes.

I was up late digging through the 4 and the thing is just a gooey warm mess of swirling sound. Mine has the earlier BA filter from the SH series, which I am glad for since my 60 has the 3109 and I was hoping for something different. It is just a creamy, bonky sounding thing. Light speed envelopes, very 70s sounding dreamy washy filter, a square wave like I've never heard before, a completely gorgeous analog ensemble effect, a bizarrely fast lfo, a reeealy easy to overdrive amp that sounds fantastic when pushed (Juno 60 is just a harsh mess when overdriven), cool polyphonic portamento and a fantastic arpeggiator that can modulate the filter in sync with the note changes... They are related in name only, polar opposites in terms of character. JP6 might be better if you want a more cutting tone, JP4 a more wooley, emotional sound. For me, it's not close to a contest... JP4 by miles and miles. The square wave is just consuming me haha... It sounds so god damned good.
saw wave analog
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Congratulations, man!

The Jupiter-4 is pure magic.

Don't forget to join the Jupiter-4 Roll Call!

Thanks! Your videos have a lot to do with why I wanted one actually, so thank you for them. I can't tell you how many times I've watched that vid with the Promars/jp4, love it. Great playing and great synths!
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Juno is way fatter than Jp6 and Jp4 is way fatter than Juno.
I got a 6 a few months ago, and it never gets me the way other synths do. It's harsh and cold and that's useful for me, but I never lose myself in the soundwaves.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Jup4 is an amazingly great sounding synth! But i will digress and say they're not worth the money they cost now. The market for them is super inflated.

I've never had a jup 6, and all I've heard from owners years ago is that they sound weak and thin, and that VAs sound better...:o

I like all rolands synths though, I dont know how one would not like a jup 6, shit I bought a beaten up HS10(alpha juno 1) that came yesterday, $75, and I love the damn thing. I'm just unhappy I didn't buy one earlier..
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sent from my GT-N8013
I have both, very different IMO. The JP4 is more fun to play, but the JP6 is more versatile and fits better with other synths.

The portamento on the JP4 is just ridiculous, and that LFO. It's a synth that just moves in a very beautiful way.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
I haven't owned a JP6 since 2004 or so, so I can't offer a direct comparison, but I did spend a few years with one so I am pretty familiar with the sound. The JP6 to me is the weakest sounding member of the big VCO poly club. The envelopes are a bit slow and it just lacks some of the punch and warmth that the other Jupiters, P5, OB's etc have. I often hear it refered to as cold or cutting, and I think those are fair terms to use to describe its general character. It is a precise sounding synth, which may not be a bad thing if that's what you are after... But I was never really in love with it ya know? It was just kind of there, and when I sold it I never missed it. I actually prefer the Juno 60 believe it or not, it doesn't do near as much but it has the punch and even a bit of the warmth that I felt was lacking on the JP6. So basically, it's the complete opposite of the JP4 as far as general tone goes.

I was up late digging through the 4 and the thing is just a gooey warm mess of swirling sound. Mine has the earlier BA filter from the SH series, which I am glad for since my 60 has the 3109 and I was hoping for something different. It is just a creamy, bonky sounding thing. Light speed envelopes, very 70s sounding dreamy washy filter, a square wave like I've never heard before, a completely gorgeous analog ensemble effect, a bizarrely fast lfo, a reeealy easy to overdrive amp that sounds fantastic when pushed (Juno 60 is just a harsh mess when overdriven), cool polyphonic portamento and a fantastic arpeggiator that can modulate the filter in sync with the note changes... They are related in name only, polar opposites in terms of character. JP6 might be better if you want a more cutting tone, JP4 a more wooley, emotional sound. For me, it's not close to a contest... JP4 by miles and miles. The square wave is just consuming me haha... It sounds so god damned good.
Thanks... I have a JP6 with the Europa Mod and thought it might have the JP4 covered. Seems not! Now I have to go pick up a 4....
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

I like the sound of the Jupe 4...basic architecture but very sweet sound...
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am now complete ^_^
If it does not have the Io kit, you are not complete.
Contact Covariance immediately, buy the upgrades, and thank me later.

If it has, congrats indeed.
Because everything that has been said about the JP-4's sound in this thread is, as far as i am concerned, true.

Gear list
Synth sounds

...Marimba trills!
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

For those that have or have played both, how does it sound compared to a JP8?
saw wave analog
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
If it does not have the Io kit, you are not complete.
Contact Covariance immediately, buy the upgrades, and thank me later.

If it has, congrats indeed.
Because everything that has been said about the JP-4's sound in this thread is, as far as i am concerned, true.

I've already contacted him :D I've put Minerva in a few Junos so I am eagerly anticipating the same functionality on the Jupiter.

I am also in need of a few parts because it got damaged in shipping. The control board pcb was missing all 12 of the screws that hold it to the front panel so the only thing holding the two together was the two nuts on the waveform select and octave range pots. Well... they couldn't handle it, so they both ripped in half and the control board spent the entire trip here crashing around inside breaking stuff. The upside is that after a partial refund I only ended up paying $1000 for the synth and it seems to be in excellent cosmetic and functional condition otherwise, but I am in need of those rotary switches, a few toggle switches, a few keys, all of the slider caps, and I think something else I am spacing out at the moment. As of right now it is stuck in the highest octave, so I haven't even heard what it's like on bass yet ^_^

If anyone knows of a source for any of this stuff I'd appreciate the info. I emailed vintage planet a couple days ago but no response yet.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

None of the Jupiters have much in common other than the name... Jupiter-6 is my favorite (have all of them)...
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
... but I am in need of those rotary switches, a few toggle switches, a few keys, all of the slider caps, and I think something else I am spacing out at the moment. As of right now it is stuck in the highest octave, so I haven't even heard what it's like on bass yet ^_^

If anyone knows of a source for any of this stuff I'd appreciate the info. I emailed vintage planet a couple days ago but no response yet.
The rotaries and toggles should be fairly easy to source and keys usually aren't a problem. Slider caps are another story as I've yet to find any and no one seems to have reproduced them. Part of the problem is as far as I can tell nothing else but the JP-4 used that slider cap design. Given the rarity of the JP-4 I doubt anyone has bothered to make a reproduction. Your best bet might be a set of Juno 60 or 106 caps if you aren't too fussy about it looking exactly like it did in 1978. Be glad you aren't missing any of the patch or arp selector caps or have any non functioning buttons there!

Vintage planet probably doesn't have much of anything now. They are also revamping their web pages so it's frustrating to find something on a google search only to realize it's a cached page and they haven't had that part for months or years.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
For those that have or have played both, how does it sound compared to a JP8?
Despite just having one osc it actually sounds bigger and bolder.

Of course you can't do big complex chords on the 4 - and there is something about having two oscillators per note that helps in getting a richer sound for certain types of sounds (mainly pads).
One thing the 4 does not do as well as the 8 is soft pads - of course you can coax it into that territory, but analogue "silkyness" (i can already hear Don Solaris swooning about the 8's infinite osc resolution) is simply not what the 4 is best at.

But that does not take away the fact that if you play simple stuff such as single note lines, the 4 does not sound thin next to the 8 - just different.

(Warning! Personal opinion) Basically i found the 8 to be a rather unexciting synth - in that it does what it does in a very nice way indeed, and it is easy to get good results from fiddling with the controls, but to me there is very little "edge" in the sound, as nice as the sound of the 8 is.

For character and boldness the 4 slaps the 8 around - where the 8 excels at subtle texturing.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've already contacted him :D I've put Minerva in a few Junos so I am eagerly anticipating the same functionality on the Jupiter.

I am also in need of a few parts because it got damaged in shipping. The control board pcb was missing all 12 of the screws that hold it to the front panel so the only thing holding the two together was the two nuts on the waveform select and octave range pots. Well... they couldn't handle it, so they both ripped in half and the control board spent the entire trip here crashing around inside breaking stuff. The upside is that after a partial refund I only ended up paying $1000 for the synth and it seems to be in excellent cosmetic and functional condition otherwise, but I am in need of those rotary switches, a few toggle switches, a few keys, all of the slider caps, and I think something else I am spacing out at the moment. As of right now it is stuck in the highest octave, so I haven't even heard what it's like on bass yet ^_^

Sounds like a horror story.

However, if the functionality of the synth is not compromised, wouldn't installing the Io kit allow you to control those functions over midi? - Then at least you'd have the sound, if not the looks.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think the 4 will be my next synth purchase, however I'm torn between it and an SH5/7, knowing my tastes and the music I write, what do you think I'd enjoy more?

I already have a Mono/Poly as my killer mono, will be buying an MS20 too, so I think the only thing my setup is missing is a big poly, a motherf###### tone machine, something not as complex as the rest of my synths, but pure, fuzzy and organic, I think that's what I'm missing.

Elmo Sexwhistle - Minor/Major now available on iTunes and Amazon.
Ksp
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Ksp
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I think the 4 will be my next synth purchase, however I'm torn between it and an SH5/7, knowing my tastes and the music I write, what do you think I'd enjoy more?I already have a Mono/Poly as my killer mono, will be buying an MS20 too, so I think the only thing my setup is missing is a big poly, a motherf###### tone machine, something not as complex as the rest of my synths, but pure, fuzzy and organic, I think that's what I'm missing.
the sh5 i found really nice for that bandpass filter and its lead sounds but its also really good for weird special fx , from the sound of it you need a Jp4 though , i do also
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear addict

As a former owner, I have to say that, while the JP6 may not be as warm as some of the other Jupiters, it offers the greatest range of sonic possibilities, and absolutely kills on unison leads! A must for sound designer/fx types. With a little effort, it an really take you for a unique ride.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search