Login / Register

Advice on which speakers would be best to buy from Craigslist?
New Reply
Subscribe
zazu
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear interested

Advice on which speakers would be best to buy from Craigslist?

Hi - I'm sorry if this is a bad thread/in the wrong forum, but I'm trying to figure out what studio monitors to buy, and I need some advice, hopefully someone here can help me out!

My friend and I have been messing around on Ableton making electronic music for a couple of months now, we haven't been to serious about it until now so we've been using just laptop speakers/headphones, but obviously that doesn't give us very good sound quality, and our sound levels are all messed up because of it. It's just a hobby, so we don't need things to be perfect, but we'd like to get a decent pair of studio monitors anyways because we have some extra money this month, haha

We're thinking in the $200-$250 range would be perfect, so we're cruising Craigslist trying to find a nice pair, and we've found these ones in our area:

( $240 )Pair of original Event 20/20 studio monitors. 4ohm, 150watt max input. Lightly used in a small climate-controlled studio environment. Some minor surface scratches and minute edge dings but quite clean. Acoustically perfect.

( $225 ) Pair of great sounding Yorkville YSM2p active studio monitors. 46 watts, bi-amplified. 1" tweeter; 5.25" driver. 1/4" and XLR inputs. This pair is in excellent condition and includes the original boxes, power cords and owner's manuals.

( $150 ) Tapco by Mackie S5 studio monitors, In excellent condition, including power cords and an owner's manual.

( $250 ) This is a fully working pair of Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors from the 80's. Both woofers work/sound great.
No rattles, no rubbing voice coils, no issues. Tweeters sound wonderful.

Clearly we're pretty inexperienced, so I'm just hoping someone can look at those and tell me which of those is the best deal, or whether any of them is a good deal at all.

We honestly make a lot of different kinds of electronic music, my friend is really into hip hop/trap while I'm more into house.

If you have time and know these sorts of things, if we did go to check the monitors out, what sorts of questions do we need to ask/things do we need to look/listen for when testing them?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazu View Post
if we did go to check the monitors out, what sorts of questions do we need to ask/things do we need to look/listen for when testing them?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Do they work and sound correct? Would be something I would listen for.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search