Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   DSI Prophet 12 (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/805970-dsi-prophet-12-a.html)

greenlights 28th June 2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxis (Post 9177045)
Sorry in advance for a boring question:
Does a new lucky owner (or Pym) have the dimensions of the box/packaging? I have one on order and am trying to figure out if it will fit in my car or not.

Thanks! :)

Are trying to hide it from your wife/girlfriend?? Lol!!!

Nedavine 28th June 2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlights (Post 9178769)

Wish I could hide one from my wife. I should never have given her my bank card.

Foxis 28th June 2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlights (Post 9178769)

Busted! gooof
Trying to avoid transport issues. I have yet to play it though, so decision has not been made. I'm first on the waiting list but will only pull the trigger if it's special. Going by the comments here, it is. :)

HrastProgrammer 28th June 2013 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Solaris (Post 9178762)
i.e. when you take a ramp on a modular synth and modulate VCO1 pitch

Something similar to this, Don?

Saw wave pitch modulated between 20Hz and 20kHz with exp-down LFO well into audio range ...

droolmaster0 28th June 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffor (Post 9178317)
And that is the reason the Xpander/Matrix-12 allows you to double, triple, quadruple, ... your modulation! It is tame if you want it to be but it can easily scan the whole filter cutoff range what cannot be said of other classic polyphonic synths.

? My impression has always been that the fact that a single modulation goes through so little of the range is due to processing limitations. You only have 20 of them. You run out a lot quicker if you're using each one multiple times...

I really don't look at the fact that the modulations are so 'weak' as a feature. And the fact that the synth allows you to use the same modulation multiple times is certainly not unique to this instrument.

NewsFromTheSky 28th June 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laikenf (Post 9177503)
Quote:

Originally Posted by droolmaster0 (Post 9177499)
no multitracking, and no additional fx. In fact, I hadn't even tested out the layering function at this point, so it's just a single sound. I was quite stoned, though.

WOW!! ablian

Oh come on. There's nothing remarkable about the fact that he was stoned. jkthtyrt

PeteJames 29th June 2013 12:59 AM

Does the prophet 12 have an 'activate panel' switch like the moog sub phatty where you can press it and the synths sound instantly jumps to reflect the value of the pots? I really like this kind of thing and it bugs me If i'm trying to program but can't see what the knobs are actually set at like my patch is mysteriously hidden from me.

greenlights 29th June 2013 02:14 AM

ForWerd 29th June 2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlights (Post 9181109)

This sounds incredible. I didn't care for the prophet 08 at all, I think DCOs and analog filters is a good move for DSI.

Count down till rack/tabletop version
10, 9 ....

droolmaster0 29th June 2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForWerd (Post 9181175)
This sounds incredible. I didn't care for the prophet 08 at all, I think DCOs and analog filters is a good move for DSI.

10, 9 ....

The p08 has DCOs. The p12 does not.

Pym 29th June 2013 03:34 AM

Since we have so many params on encoders/pots split in sections (like 4 LFOs, OSC, Env, etc) it doesn't make as much sense to do something like that

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteJames (Post 9180947)
Does the prophet 12 have an 'activate panel' switch like the moog sub phatty where you can press it and the synths sound instantly jumps to reflect the value of the pots? I really like this kind of thing and it bugs me If i'm trying to program but can't see what the knobs are actually set at like my patch is mysteriously hidden from me.

polybonk 29th June 2013 04:14 AM

Damn that is a good sounding synth!

Kaoz 29th June 2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

10, 9 ....

:lol:

NWSooner 29th June 2013 04:38 AM

They're digitally generated oscillators, not digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs). Digital oscillators, analog filters.

CODEC 29th June 2013 05:22 AM

Hi Pym,

before i place my order, i am pretty convinced i am getting this now,

You went with Dsp based oscillators right? in real technical terms, or is it similar to whats in the sh 101 or the original pulse by waldorf?

And if you went with the dsp, is there room for expanding the waves?
And if so are you going to make additional waveforms available in the future for expanding the tonal palette.

And i want to congratulate you on your new baby kfhkh it must be a good feeling to set it flying across the globe, and by the looks of it it might be the first new purchase for a long time for me, and thank you for not taking the common route, three main waveforms today is really pretty ...errr... unimaginative for the lack of a better term!

SovietSpaceChild 29th June 2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODEC (Post 9181486)
is it similar to whats in the sh 101 or the original pulse by waldorf?

No.

yourmajesty 29th June 2013 05:43 AM

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2s1khg2.jpg
courtesy of MATRIXSYNTH: Unboxing Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 SN 00002

and check out this demo, same guy that did some of the good youtube ones:

https://soundcloud.com/peterkeys88/p12-playthrough-peter-dyer

CODEC 29th June 2013 06:03 AM

kfhkh gotcha, Thanks!

and thanks for pointing me to some good demos!
much obliged.

ForWerd 29th June 2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWSooner (Post 9181399)
They're digitally generated oscillators, not digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs). Digital oscillators, analog filters.

Oh ok so DGOs

Thanks for clearing that up

e6400ultra 29th June 2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourmajesty (Post 9181527)

Those positional slider LEDs are dead sexy.

Bonkks 29th June 2013 08:06 AM

After listening to a lot of demos, I think it sound very similar to the Poly Evolver. Enough so, that I am not really feeling the need to rush out and buy this yet.

Don Solaris 29th June 2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HrastProgrammer (Post 9178944)
Something similar to this, Don?

Yes.

droolmaster0 30th June 2013 04:56 AM

More 'experimental, drone, whatever' improv with the prophet 12.

http://soundcloud.com/ancient-eyeball-recipe/mcgeorge-bundy-school-of

http://soundcloud.com/ancient-eyeball-recipe/dronecoming-scream

http://soundcloud.com/ancient-eyeball-recipe/replace-your-fart-smell-with

mwvm 30th June 2013 08:42 AM

i love my drone.... spend the last 10 year or so making it, though i found the bit reduction or whatever grainy/noise sound used in these pieces to "float" on the sound and not actually effect it so to speak. and it wasn't a pleasant noise imo or a noise that would blow me away...(like hecker or belong's album on carpark.) not saying that it should but those are good reference points.

droolmaster0 30th June 2013 03:27 PM

Well, no - I"m not trying to do 'pretty' guitar drones like you. Glad you liked it so much.

mwvm 30th June 2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droolmaster0 (Post 9185136)
Well, no - I"m not trying to do 'pretty' guitar drones like you. Glad you liked it so much.

i didn't say i disliked it. interesting stuff... just looking at it from the synth point of view. i didn't care much for the type of distortion...

let's discuss it. what was it that you used - bit reduction? i'm generally interested in the p12.

Marzzz 30th June 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

I think DCOs and analog filters is a good move for DSI.

In fact, the P12 oscillators are generated by SHARC DSP, i.e. digital. NTTAWWT.

droolmaster0 30th June 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwvm (Post 9185464)
i didn't say i disliked it. interesting stuff... just looking at it from the synth point of view. i didn't care much for the type of distortion...

let's discuss it. what was it that you used - bit reduction? i'm generally interested in the p12.

Your comments don't read that way....but, to answer your question:
I don't remember what exactly i had going at every point. There was zero intention of making a 'demo' per se - I just sat down with the synth and recorded while I messed with 2 'basic patches' saved into both layers, experimenting with various modulations and settings, etc, then saved a few sections. There was definitely some bit reduction at some points, but I honestly don't remember whether I used it in all 3....and at some point I also added modulation of some of the character parameters also.

The layering is pretty interesting, but there seem to be some weirdnesses....it seemed to me that, although you can only choose 1 midi channel for the instrument, you can only get controllers to modulate both layers if you set it to 'edit both layers'. But then, if you set it this way, any knobs you turn, etc, affect both layers. So you can't edit, say, only instrument A, but have CCs modulate both instruments. (I was in stacked mode)

mwvm 30th June 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droolmaster0 (Post 9185487)
Your comments don't read that way....but, to answer your question:
I don't remember what exactly i had going at every point. There was zero intention of making a 'demo' per se - I just sat down with the synth and recorded while I messed with 2 'basic patches' saved into both layers, experimenting with various modulations and settings, etc, then saved a few sections. There was definitely some bit reduction at some points, but I honestly don't remember whether I used it in all 3....and at some point I also added modulation of some of the character parameters also.

The layering is pretty interesting, but there seem to be some weirdnesses....it seemed to me that, although you can only choose 1 midi channel for the instrument, you can only get controllers to modulate both layers if you set it to 'edit both layers'. But then, if you set it this way, any knobs you turn, etc, affect both layers. So you can't edit, say, only instrument A, but have CCs modulate both instruments. (I was in stacked mode)

it's the internet - things get taken out of context.

what does fascinate me is the experimental and tone shaping side of the synth. now what you thought was critique was more an observation of how i thought the noise sat as opposed to say using a some type of "destruction" plugin or a pedal of some sought.

if you know what i mean?

and "demos" like yours are few and far between and much appreciated believe you me...

ourfamous dead 30th June 2013 11:16 PM

They are some great soundscapes you have made there. Absolutely can not wait to get my hands one one of these.
Your sounds are very much appreciated...they really show a different side to the synth that is not shown with any of the other demos and really shows how flexible and expressive this thing can be in the right hands.
kfhkh