Airy/evolving pads?
New Reply
Subscribe
nrvana8775
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Airy/evolving pads?

I'm looking for a pad sound that sits vertically higher up in the 3d stereo field. Nothing thick, just a clear/defined presence.

Would definitely like some modulation options, as I'm looking for vertical and horizontal movement.

Older Roland polys have a chewyness/milkyness that sounds good, but isn't really the tone I'm after. SCI stuff is a mid mid-range bitey for my taste.

Any suggestions?
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Synths with band-pass or high pass filters will really help with this- the Blofeld can do some nice airy sounds and has two filters, so you can route the oscillators where you want.

Some of the 90's ROMplers will do it- my TG-55 has two 6db filters that can be set to low, band or high pass. When using "breathy" source samples (voices or noise, frexample), it can give some nice spacy tones.

Are you specifically looking for analogue, or would ROMplers/VA do as well?
nrvana8775
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Synths with band-pass or high pass filters will really help with this- the Blofeld can do some nice airy sounds and has two filters, so you can route the oscillators where you want.

Some of the 90's ROMplers will do it- my TG-55 has two 6db filters that can be set to low, band or high pass. When using "breathy" source samples (voices or noise, frexample), it can give some nice spacy tones.

Are you specifically looking for analogue, or would ROMplers/VA do as well?
Doesn't really matter, as this would be for a specific application.

I'm doing mostly sample-based stuff / electronic flourishes with acoustic samples. Whatever works within the context of everything else.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Geariophile

Wavestation? D-50? SY77?
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

does it have to be hardware? if not, try absynth.

after a few shots of the stuff, try the plugin by the same name
nrvana8775
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Any other suggestions?
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
Any other suggestions?
Definitely Roland JD-800 or better one would be JD-990. Another great one would be Generalmusic S2 / S3. I could also recommend Technics WSA-1 if you can ever find one for sale.
"I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bullshit computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: "With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes". This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!" - Vangelis
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Didn't Eno use DX7 for this kind of stuff?
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

If money is not an issue, Hartmann Neuron, definitely.
It's the best pad machine I ever tried so far and it's a joy to use and create sounds with.

A Nord Modular G2 is another great choice.

For a cheaper price, a good FM synth (DX7 or SY77), Korg Wavestation (or a wavetable synth), and even some ROMplers or samplers can be good alternatives.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear addict

THe V-synth original is a V-synth and D-50 in one package. With A PG-1000 it is very interactive. My Fav will always be the PEK PE. The Wavestation started it all and the Fizmo is like no other.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear maniac

E-mu Morpheus or even better it's bigger brother the UltraProteus (288 Z-Plane filters...)
Ksp
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Ksp
Gear addict

[QUOTE=nrvana8775;8669533]I'm looking for a pad sound that sits vertically higher up in the 3d stereo field. Nothing thick, just a clear/defined presence.

korg wavestation or better still korg karma or kronos , jd800 also

Those synths have an airyness few have and for pads they offer just what your after.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Waldorf Blofeld / Microwave / Q
Roland JD-990 / JD-800
Kawai K5000S
Emu E-Synth Ultra
Novation Supernova
Access Virus
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for acid

Jupiter 6 bandpass filter is good for this.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
Didn't Eno use DX7 for this kind of stuff?
yes.

I would suggest to try Rob Papens Blue for this airy pads with modulation. an extremely versatile synth.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

JD990.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Almost any digital synthesizer can do "airy." But if you want "evolving," too, then you should look first to wavetable synthesizers. The Blofeld will get you there for very little money (used modules can be found for under $400); for a bit more, you could look into the Microwave series (XT if you want a particularly inviting interface).
m.h
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
m.h
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

wavestation.Forget waldorf its rubbish for these sounds .You need an old digital rompler like those mentioned with waveforms of blow / wind / airey sounds.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77 SY77

It can sound analogue, or digital, always evolving, and airy about 70% of the time.

Buy Buy Buy!

Music at http://www.soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

As someone who bases purchases around evolving pads and ethereal sounds I recommend Omnisphere as the overall best value in that it contains very high quality samples of some of the aforementioned synths and more -- including Fairlight and Kawai soundsources, a bright integrated synth engine with fx racks available per layer, a lot of sophisticated modulation options and a GUI that makes stacking, assigning and mixing sounds easy.

I also think Reaktor is capable of some amazing air, especially the Steampipe 2 ensemble and the Space Drone sound generator.

Finally, the Virus can get good digital fizz.

For introducing "movement" stacking sounds is sometimes easier. Designing a "deeper" layer that has no sound until brought in with a mod wheel (for instance) can make more sense for creating downward movement than trying to make an airy pad incorporate a bass-ier level hidden below the high pass cutoff. Also, having a layer of just panning sparkle or shimmer that can go back and forth and front and back is another thing that can make more-sense to do separately. Omnisphere's orb is good for this. I guess my point is that being able to stack multiple sounds in a multi-patch is less hassle and is worth fitting in to your workflow considerations.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

But look how sexy the SY77 is!

3! Mod Wheels!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

3! Mod Wheels!
Even sexier if you fix/add a white on blue LED screen to it - not that you can tell in this photo (always looks too bright in photos but is very readable in reality)

Anyway this photo is also my answer to the OP - either of these two digital beasts will sort you out (ignore my JX-3P). Actually get both and layer them as I do, they compliment each other very well for some epic pads you'll never have heard anywhere but in this combo!

These 2 synths are IMO the best digital synths (KEYBOARDS) Yamaha and Roland ever made. Quote me on that :P

25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

NO NO NO!

Although it has one card with it, and they fetch $50 a piece on their own, I paid, £300, about $473 for one last month, it had the floppy drive recently serviced with a new belt, the original turquoise floppy, a HARD CASE, AND...THE SELLER DROVE IT TO MY HOUSE! XD

Do not pay over $450-500 dollars for one, the SY99 could probably fetch another $150 on top, because it has more keys and you can load your own samples, but no, that's a ridiculous price. Plus, on my one, the keys aren't amazing but they're good enough, i think i paid slightly over the odds to be honest.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
Just looked one up on ebay -- is this a good price?
Yamaha SY 77 Synthesizer Keyboard EXTRAS | eBay

Coincidentally the seller only lives 20 minutes away.
Not particularly, you should be able to get one for around £300 ($470) max. Many times they are much cheaper (very under valued). Mine cost £120 but drive was gone on it (I did the easy mod and fitted a beltless new sony PC drive for £5 ) - LED screen cost me £25? i think, but they (the LED screens) are rarer now and the seller on ebay lets them go high
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm programming mine VIA sound diver, got some AWESOME PWM out of it, and figured how to route cutoff to the third wheel for a bang-on Pro-One patch, It's literally the best VA I've ever hard (great filters) Plus it's a whole DX7, PLUS, you can use a bit of PCM to spice things up, and even run it through the FM section.

It even has freely downloadable Wavestation and D50 banks for it and totally nails those board's sounds.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

• Absynth / Alchemy / Omnisphere as the obvious answer
  • a couple of libraries for Kontakt (e.g. Hollow Sun)
  • Wavestation (both hardware) or related vector-based snthesis (e.g. TG-33, Prophet VS)
  • almost any stereo analogue polyphonic synth/string machine (or Virtual String Machine as a software alternative)
  • Massive or Virus TI for more motion-oriented pads.
Then process it in software (e.g. eq the highs and make them really wide)

I also heard that if you pray to Jesus enough the Gates of Heaven will open and angels will start singing – be sure to have a handy stereo hand-held recorder and sample that sound!

Check out my soundtrack album, Appearances.

Seek for a place where the birds live forever...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.h View Post
wavestation.Forget waldorf its rubbish for these sounds .You need an old digital rompler like those mentioned with waveforms of blow / wind / airey sounds.
Wavestation sounds dead, crappy filters and overblown (been here before) but it just doesn't compare with JD or SY77 on sonics, I flipped my wavestation within 2 months was almost as annoying as the M1 I'd had.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm programming mine VIA sound diver, got some AWESOME PWM out of it, and figured how to route cutoff to the third wheel for a bang-on Pro-One patch, It's literally the best VA I've ever hard (great filters) Plus it's a whole DX7, PLUS, you can use a bit of PCM to spice things up, and even run it through the FM section.

It even has freely downloadable Wavestation and D50 banks for it and totally nails those board's sounds.
Yeah I've got many discs full of patches, had the SY for quite some years now - always been centre of my studio. And I agree it's a great 'VA' when it wants to be (other than filter acrobatics/squealy stuff). It outweighed my AN1x and KS-rack so they went, they sounded toyish in comparison! (same applies to the JD-800 vs those VAs too, just has more depth/quality than cheap VA).

I have started a BCR2000 profile for the SY77, fun to control it from hands on knobs (more so than sounddiver which I do use too from time to time). I've not finished it yet as it needs mapping over many presets to fit it all in
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

3! Mod Wheels!

Want

stop
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search