New Reply
Subscribe
smokingrobot
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

buying used juno-60 and had some questions

Howdy Slutz,

I'm hoping to buy a used Juno-60 off a fella this week. I'm going to schedule a look-see at it ASAP. I'd like to just test it out and make sure things work, so obvious things like keys hitting properly etc, knobs pans pots filters etcIm not worried about but im wondering if there's any other thing with this synth that folks with knowledge may be able to help me out with.

As far as the synth, its in good condition and has been serviced by a certified roland technician and also the battery was replaced w/ a new battery system for the preset memory. the battery modification allows a watch type battery to be added easily for saving presets etc.

EDIT: im realizing saying "used juno-60" is a bit redundant.

and thanks in advance!
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I just bought a used Juno 60 with some problems. I was able to fix it up without much effort but over the course here's what I discovered. Please note: I'm no expert on this or any other synth. However the service manual is clear enough that I could track down my problems with just the block diagrams. Very useful.

Sliders are near impossible to find but they can be rebuilt. They have to be desoldered, disassembled and cleaned. That would probably be a good thing to do anyway.

Pots can be replaced. The bender pot might be a problem to find, I need one but haven't looked. Buttons and switches can be replaced as well.

Test the envelope. If any of the voices have problems with the envelope it could be a bad envelope chip. Those are custom Roland, hard to find, and run about $30-$40 a pop.

Many other controller chips can fail but there are usually off the shelf replacements for a few bucks. In my case the envelope wasn't working with the VCF. Turned out to be a controller chip that cost $3 + a socket to replace.

I think VCF chips are custom Roland as are VCA. If you spot problems with those expect to pay premium prices for replacements.

Finally, I installed Minerva for the 60. I think it was a wise choice. Adds MIDI, a 2nd LFO and a dedicated ENV for the filter. I think that upgrade makes the 60 the most desirable Juno because of the extra modulation and added features. And it's reasonably cheap too.

That's all I know, good luck!

Edit: It's a fun synth. Very simple, but that's a large part of its charm for me. Just about every sound out of it is good to me. It sounds better to me than my Jupiter 6 and Polysix, though not as flexible as either of them.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search