Keep Tempest or not?
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Keep Tempest or not?

I'm really on the fence here, and wondering if you sluts can help me out:-)

I have a love hate relationship with the tempest. some days I think it's pretty cool but often i power it up, and then get demotivated to work on music and then power it down.

I often want to sell it, but then when It comes to selling it, I'm on the fence about letting it go.

I'm considering replacing it with a polyevolver, nord modular g2, or an acid lab miami.

I have an MFB522 on the way coming for other drum sounds...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

I may not be a real slut on here, but i implore you keep it. It has much promise (maybe with future OSupdates) but if its what is really drowning your workflow and style, then its all fine for getting something else.

I also like the Acidlab Miami, but...compared to the Tempest its sounds might be a bit restircted (remember its modeled after the 808). It sounds very nice though

My 2 cents...not really worth much yet :\
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Have you blanked the memory and made custom kits that are specifically tailored to your liking? If not then do that first before parting with it IMHO.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
Have you blanked the memory and made custom kits that are specifically tailored to your liking? If not then do that first before parting with it IMHO.
^^THAT is the point of the Tempest...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
yup. I made some cool stuff. the basslines that come out of this box are insane. anyone into miami bass really has to have one of these...

Maybe I will keep it...it kind of has it's niche in the setup, besides for the tempest,along side it is: tt303, mfb522, alpha juno 1, roland jx10, and for effects, space echo, and eventide space. I have other gear, but i really dont touch the other gear, I'm thinking I'll set up the mpc500 to sequence mks7 and alpha juno.

I want the miami, but i'm also feeling like going to a miami is regressing, i would have too much an old school roland set up, and I think I would just sound like the 90s over again...

Sometimes the interface just gets to me, like programming the adsr through a menu...it kind of sucks in that regard.

I'm just on the fence with it. it seems a lot of people hate and love theres at the same time...:o

but it's not near the jx10 love i have I always <3 that thing even with it's perks

one thing htat drives me nuts, is i like to make evolving sounds, and with the lack of free flowing sounds, it's difficult. The fact that the sliders only work on each hit, instead of a smooth tweak, is an annoyance too.

hmmm
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

It's a funny box that Tempest. The other day I was having a hard time getting good hat and shaker sounds, it all sounded very harsh... Then yesterday I redid all sounds (also referencing stimrep's noisy little bugger tutorials) and all of a sudden I'm back in love. Really liking the toms and even got some decent hats and shaker going.

I think Tempest users have to let go of their preconceived (roland) ideas of what it has to sound like and realize that it sounds like a Tempest and you either like that or not. I'm still going to pick up either a vermona drm or an mfb box for dedicated drum circuits but I don't think I'll ever sell the Tempest. I love what it does.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Tempest can be hard work. You need discipline to design your sounds separately from composition. Otherwise it's too easy to get carried away on a nice pattern, only to end-up frustrated at lack of progress.

And you have to make your own kits. The presets are garbage and there is a surprising paucity of user kits after 18 months.

I love mine - the sound and workflow and I've barely scratched the surface. Waiting this long for a complete OS is getting tedious now, but I believe that DSI will come-through for us.

Nevertheless, with the latest beta the machine is mostly working as advertised, and the niggles I share with you are vastly outweighed by the sum of the parts IMO.

If you don't have the patience or of it's not working for you then I say sell it and move-on. You seem to have plenty of drum options and more to come.
The Miami seems like a cool machine - would like one myself.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

i've gotten some decent sounds out of it, dont get me wrong.

Somethings just get to me I really dont like most of the samples they have in there...a lot of them, just dont sound good. I'm hoping in the future they'll come out with new samples for it, or let us import our own. IF that is possible, this would be an AMAZINg machine, i'd be very very happy with it at that point.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

I loved mine in theory, but the buggy OS was just unacceptable. It felt like I was fighting with a cracked piece of software. If they ever get it rock solid I'll probably pick up another, but as of a few months ago it was unusable in my setup. I didn't have trouble with the sound, and the sequencer is effing brilliant when it works. Hopefully they get it sorted out eventually.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I just peeled the plastic off the display on my Tempest, finally passed the 30 day period.

For me, I like the fact that it doesn't sound like an 808/909 drum box. I get way more on the synth end than on drums, but it does fatten up Addictive Drums nicely when I layer it and use it for just kick/snare beats.

I am sticking it out mainly because I am attached to it for synth sounds, but I'm hoping to see more development in the future with respect to things like legato, polyphonic sequencing, etc. I've tried to spend less time focused on what it can't do, and just poking and prodding it to see what I can get out of it.

I think a lot of Tempest owners who jumped ship after reading about issues on forums are going to find themselves regretting it eventually, but ultimately you gotta make a choice based on your own experiences. The only reason I'd part with mine is if something similar came out that had a bit better handle on the melody side of things. Really my only complaints have been lack of legato playing/recording, and the fact that the sequencer resets the envelope on each step. It would be nice to achieve smooth LFO sweeps across an entire pattern, but it's something I knew going in. If I need that, I run the Tempest through my Evolver.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

if you aren't having fun with a piece, and it isnt making you any money, toss it,,,

making music should be fun, if you have an expensive piece of gear there, and you are on the fence about, well, you probably shouldn't be,,,,, the gear you have should make you say damn, i really like this,, not jeeeez i wonder if this is any good,,,,,
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Kind of funny. Made the the VSE´s review for the Tempest, and the first comment from somebody was "....I got the Tempest a year ago, and I still unhappy with its sound"

How can labes release or design innovative instruments, more specifically on the "drum machine" area, when people still associating them with "808-909" terms, or rating it by how phat are their kicks? It find more similarities between a cat and an ameeba, than between a 808 and a Tempest.

In my opinion, is so good and refreshing for the dance music production, when somebody like Dave Smith, has the balls to release a syntfh with a different sound. I supposse he already was expecting people to bash about it because it has certain "sound" , quite different from the averall drum machines.

Buggy OS? For God´s sake. One of first things I realized when I got it, was the warning "Tempest hardware is finished, but not the OS" uppdates and fixes will come with each new OS release.... with those comments, people will really thing this synth has bugs on the OS. IT does not has bugs.

Is the synth of the moment, and there are a lot of people with good brains, working hard on the Tempest. You could regret in a couple of years, when this little beast, will unleash its true power.

Obviously my recommendation is to keep it. There are good things, and good things wich require time and careful observation to be appreciated. Tempest is one of them.

Is the synth with more "personality" I´ve used, (apart from the Fizmo") and the one with the most intuitive and meticulous design. Should not be rated by its sound, because this synth has a LOT of work on the design, and a heavy development on helping the owner with the composition´s workflow.

How good a Tempest sounds, is 100% up to the owner. If somebody does not like how it sounds, should reconsider blaming the inanimated instrument, and practice more with it.

I
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

didnt know sounding like there was
cotton in front of the speaker was a innovation,
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear maniac

The Tempest can be an Acidlab Miami: make a kit using all the 808 samples. There's kits already made on the DSI Forum. The samples are from Goldbaby, so there as good as they get. Plus, they're still going through the Tempest's analog filter. Since you already have it, this is a way more flexible machine than the Acidlab.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I dont fully agree with this, there isn't an infinite palate with a tempest. you're still confined to subtractive synthesis...It's inherent sound is there.

that's the good/bad part about analog.

What I dislike about it, is that it's based off the tetra/mopho crap. and by crap, i mean crap.

they aren't like the evolvers which is an amazing sounding synth.

the oscillators just aren't top notch. I happen to REALLY like the filter though.

I like the sound, it's not fantastic though. it's good but not great basically...that's why i'm on the fence with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by balma View Post
Kind of funny. Made the the VSE´s review for the Tempest, and the first comment from somebody was "....I got the Tempest a year ago, and I still unhappy with its sound"

How can labes release or design innovative instruments, more specifically on the "drum machine" area, when people still associating them with "808-909" terms, or rating it by how phat are their kicks? It find more similarities between a cat and an ameeba, than between a 808 and a Tempest.

In my opinion, is so good and refreshing for the dance music production, when somebody like Dave Smith, has the balls to release a syntfh with a different sound. I supposse he already was expecting people to bash about it because it has certain "sound" , quite different from the averall drum machines.

Obviously my recommendation is to keep it. There are good things, and good things wich require time and careful observation to be appreciated. Tempest is one of them.

Is the synth with more "personality" I´ve used, (apart from the Fizmo") and the one with the most intuitive and meticulous design. Should not be rated by its sound, because this synth has a LOT of work on the design, and a heavy development on helping the owner with the composition´s workflow.

How good a Tempest sounds, is 100% up to the owner. If somebody does not like how it sounds, should reconsider blaming the inanimated instrument, and practice more with it.

I
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

If it doesn't inspire you, let it go. Unless you just like having it around.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

If you need a drum machine, it is one of the best out there and will only get better with software upgrades. But if you would rather have a keyboard, it does not get much better than a PEK PE. I know if I could buy another PEK PE I would in an instant, way before I would buy a Tempest. I would use Ableton for my beats or my trusty RC-300 to sketch out a song by using a simple 4/4 beat.

Get the PEK PE it is an amazing synth a keeper for life, and it will take that long to master it. A wonderful challenge to have in my mind.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't understand what you don't like.

The sound ? Name some sounds you like... It will make us easier to understand your problem.

The workflow ? Hard to be better.

The price ? Already bought. The harder is done

The bugs ? Stay with the OS that works. I don't remember the number. There's a thread on it at DSI forum, though. DSI is pretty responsive in that regard.

For me, it's closer to a musical instrument than any of the other drum machines. And as is, need to be learned and practiced. A violin or a guitar sounds crap with a crappy player... You don't see anyone ranting all threads long to say a violin or a guitar sound crap.

Keep it.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
I don't understand what you don't like.

The sound ? Name some sounds you like... It will make us easier to understand your problem.

The workflow ? Hard to be better.

The price ? Already bought. The harder is done

The bugs ? Stay with the OS that works. I don't remember the number. There's a thread on it at DSI forum, though. DSI is pretty responsive in that regard.

For me, it's closer to a musical instrument than any of the other drum machines. And as is, need to be learned and practiced. A violin or a guitar sounds crap with a crappy player... You don't see anyone ranting all threads long to say a violin or a guitar sound crap.

Keep it.

I dont know...even from "expert tempest users" I have heard shitty songs. I haven't heard many good songs from people done with it. one guy posted one really good techno track though. But i've heard a lot of crap

What i feel like the tempest is, it's a jack of all trades analog machine. But master of none.

What I kind of want out of my drum sounds is lets say, skinny puppy rabies type sounds, or surgeon type sounds. I was hoping the samples would be hard hitting enough to get this out of it.

Here's the buggy part I dont think is fixable: it's very volatile. There are many differences between the voices, it needs to be calibrated all the time, keeping my tempest on 24 hours really warmed up teh filter, but also I had no PWM wave after 10% until i calibrated it, there simply was no audible sound.

sometimes the sounds get louder for no reason, and I have to track down mod paths, only to find...it needs calibration :-)

The dynamic voice allocation on outputs drive me nuts...

I dont hate the machine fully, it's love and hate, some things i hate, some things I really like.

I think it's due to the variances...sometimes I'm working on something and i'll be really like "This sounds amazing," i'll come back to the same beat the next day and go O_o where'd it go. and recalibrate it, and it becomes sterile, and I dont like the sound anymore...

It DOES sound great through eventide space and space echo, but then again ALL gear does :-)

I didn't really like the tempest until I got the space, but does that mean I like the space and not the tempest?

I like filter sweeping a lot. especially in beat or mute mode, but then It effects my kicks and using it like a drum machine

Like I say, it's love and hate relationship.

Everytime I want to sell it I get sad and dont want to. And I keep it, when kept I end up not liking it...:|

just seems one one of those pieces...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Well here is the reason I'm thinking bout getting rid of it, I dont use it for drum sounds, minus a kick, which I can get off the MFB I'm pretty sure. I sometimes use ap ercussiv sound out of it, that i'll miss, but I can get the hi hats from the MFB also.

What I use it for is weird sounds on top, little lfo swept sounds. maybe a bassline, but I got a tt303 coming to take care of that. I'm thinking that the new MS20+minibrute might be a good replacement, or even the analog 4....:-)

The sequencer is great on the tempest tho, really spot on. and it really can make some trance inducing rhythms...well IF it had free running LFOs, if it did, there would be no way i'd sell it.

That's what is annoying, since you have to swtich to each sound to make changes other than a global change, I can't have a filter sweep in the background, I have to do it individually...annoying as hell.

I'm not sure they can fix it, it might be a physical thing :(
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

get a vermona or other heavy drum synth that is proper, control it with the octatrack or machinedrum, thats a killer combo, any money left over get an evolver desktop, that's a better synth then the tempest any day,
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post

Keep it.
Indeed
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balma View Post
Indeed
I also agree it's very much a musical instrument. I will play some more tonight :-)

I actually think I've got some good sounds to record for demonstrating the Tempest on what it can do. It really can do a lot.

I'm kind of looking @ the options, and for the price, I dont know what else can fill that hole. the troll toll to get in the boy's soul...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

So far the closes thing is the A4, but the Tempest sequencer is so much more alive owing to pressure & velocity sensitive pads rather than hard plastic buttons. Plus every demo of the A4 I hear is very techno sounding. I've gotten some much more rock stuff coming out of my Tempest which is more up my alley. (yet no shortage of electronic stuff either.)

The grass is always greener on the other side, as they say. You will probably not find an instrument as flexible, expressive, and limitless as the Tempest. Though you might find something YOU like better.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I just powered it up after work. I like this thing, when doused in effects:/ then it sounds great.

it really does require a lot of programming, and it's a very hit or miss synth. there's not a a big sweet spot area, it's rather small.

I think I like the idea of it al ot more than than the reality of it, which sucks. the idea of it is keeping me having it...
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I had a Tempest. I liked it and sold it. I didn't like it $1500 worth and I don't have the time to program it as much as it needs to be programmed before it integrates smoothly into my time-deprived workflow.

Sounded good to me but lacked the character I wanted.

By the tone of your posts I say loose it, especially if you are dedicating time to it and leaving uninspired. That's not good. Are you trying to get it to fit with your music or building music around it?

On the other hand, the $ you loose in its sale may be a significant factor in your decision.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

dump it and get something you won't be unsure of
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy View Post
get a vermona or other heavy drum synth that is proper, control it with the octatrack or machinedrum, thats a killer combo, any money left over get an evolver desktop, that's a better synth then the tempest any day,
That won´t solve anything. And they can´t be compared with the Tempest. The Tempest is its own animal, that´s the reason of the hate/love thing.

I like it too much. It´s a brave invention. With these kind of creativity developments and new stuff, is wise to have a humble, curious and open-mind approach.

A lot of people who got rid of it, could regret in a few years.... dump this thread in 2015
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
I dont fully agree with this, there isn't an infinite palate with a tempest. you're still confined to subtractive synthesis...It's inherent sound is there.

that's the good/bad part about analog.

What I dislike about it, is that it's based off the tetra/mopho crap. and by crap, i mean crap.

they aren't like the evolvers which is an amazing sounding synth.
Uh... don't the Mopho/Prophet/Tetr4/Evolver all share the same DCOs and Curtis filter with the digital wave forms being an addition to the Evolver?

I had an Evolver and I have a MoPho and a Prophet and to me the Evolver sounded extremely similar, if not the same, when not using digital oscillators. Frankly, I didn't dig the aliased sound of the digital oscs and I got rid of the Evolver, but it could make some cool percussion sounds.

I don't know much about the Tempest except that I've yet to hear a demo of it that I thought sounded good to me. I just don't like it... in the way I didn't take to the Evolver, though I did take to the MoPho and Prophet 08. Maybe what you're saying is you like the wavetable sound of the DSI stuff and not the DCOs? Fair enough, but I think you're off in thinking the Evolver is drastically different in quality than anything else DSI makes.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
I think I like the idea of it al ot more than than the reality of it, which sucks. the idea of it is keeping me having it...
And that's the truth right there...I was the same, tried to like it for months, then ditched it. Not missed it once.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search