Login / Register

New gear from Roland and BOSS, looking good!
New Reply
Subscribe
ROLAND RAZZ
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Roland sends a private message to Gearslutz :
"Sell your Integra-7 and your Sh-1000, and buy a VR-09 + a pair of sunglasses."

V-Combo VR-09 Studio Performance with Looper - YouTube
I am sorry, I thought that sounded, very impressive and fun. If I did not already have a Jupiter 50, and soon a Korg Microstation, the VR-09, the new 61 key piano and a Juno GI would be on my short list for an ultimate 3 keyboard live setup.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
I doubt many techno producers would be interested in newer day Roland gear, excluding vintage stuff. Concurrent techno sound is more suited for Viruses and other tight synths or then SW synths. But what do I know, I only release 10 techno tracks a year (and I don't really care what I used for producing those.)

Ooooooooh... you're THAT "kind" of guy. rotflmfao
MusicFan
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post

I've pretty much given up on Gearslutz being anything but a partisan ideological bickerfest anymore.

MusicFan
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post

Where's MusicFan to join in the Roland praise when u need him?
Nice to be remembered!

...but my battle for justice was only for the Jupiter-80, my dear friend.

Otherwise I don't give a sh*t about Roland or any other synth manufacturer.

I care about good synths and good music, nothing else...

24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Roland is about as exciting now as Windows is to Apple's innovative products.
Hey Man, you like paying top dollar for crippled products, that your prerogative. Not all of us are that easily fooled.

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

Remember kids, Gearslutz is for entertainment purposes only.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Ooooooooh... you're THAT "kind" of guy. rotflmfao
Yes, mr. rotflmfao.

Going back to something more constructive, the VR-09 is actually pretty interesting for me as I've been looking for something useable for live keyboard gigs, Nord Electros being in my radar for a while but I need an 88 key weighted key solution anyway, where the VR-09 could sit on top for any needed B3 and other synth parts. It's cheap enough for such gigging purposes.

For studio production, tech house et rest, I would not use much of any keyboards out there as these kind of productions are sonically so complex today so that you need Reaktor and other trickery SW to make things interesting.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm curious over the VR-09 too. It sounds fairly realistic - not sure about any chorus or vibrato modeling, but the price is likely way below the other organ models, and there are plenty of controls to fuss with.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Hey Man, you like paying top dollar for crippled products, that your prerogative. Not all of us are that easily fooled.
Getting a virus on a PC is a crippled product...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious over the VR-09 too. It sounds fairly realistic - not sure about any chorus or vibrato modeling, but the price is likely way below the other organ models, and there are plenty of controls to fuss with.
I want to find out how the SN Synth will programme without an iPad, if at all, if it does, I am very interested....

Love the hands on and looper stuff, just extends it so much..

Shame no ARP....

25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

MusicFan
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

I want to find out how the SN Synth will programme without an iPad, if at all, if it does, I am very interested....
As far as I understand and concerning the specs, the VR-09's synth section is not based on the SN technology of JP-80/50/Integra.

Only the VR-09's organ engine is based on SN.

The synth section is probably similar to the GAIA and the rest is "ROMpling" based on the Fantom/Juno engine...

25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm betting it's based on the Jupiter. The virtual control panel is identical, minus the extra modeled filters.

And thanks for the vid link SB.
MusicFan
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
MusicFan

Quote:

I'm betting it's based on the Jupiter. The virtual control panel is identical, minus the extra modeled filters.
I highly doubt that, if one reads the VR-09's specs... The edit panel of the GAIA itself has the similar look like the JP-80 user interface, but they use completely different technologies anyway.
So only because the iPAD editor looks similar, you can't draw any conclusions.

The VR-09 seems to be a mixture between GAIA (I might be completely wrong on this...), Juno Stage and a SuperNATURAL Organ engine, therefore the low price point. But otherwise, I think there is unfortunately no JP-80/50/Integra SN technology on baord...

VR-09 Specs (from Roland U.S.) :

Sound Generator Section
Organ Section
Virtual Tone Wheel method (SuperNATURAL)
MIDI Format
Conforms to GM2, GS, XG Lite
Maximum Polyphony
128 voices
Parts
Organ (3 parts) Piano (2 parts) Synthesizer (2 parts) Drum (1 part) GM2 (16 parts)
Sounds
223 sounds
Registrations
100 (4 x 25 banks)
Effects (7 systems always on / global control)
Overdrive Tone Compressor Multi-effects: 20 types Delay: 6 types Reverb: 6 types Rotary: 2 types

PS: You almost force me to a full GS "comeback"...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

And thanks for the vid link SB.
I agree.

A chap who speaks to Roland allot told me the GAIA was based on COSM

Rolands GAIA import documents said VA (as in not PCM)

I suspect when they named the Jups synth a SuperNatural Synth it was just a new name for COSM.

It makes no sense to take what is more like the Jupiter than the GAIA and make it different.

I have no idea why some people need to try to suggest these things are different. They appear to be the same basic technology. The GAIA is more preset in some ways to make it operation simpler. Add some EQ to it to cut the high frequencies and you will hear the VA of old...

The new V Combo has some stuff I wish they had added to the GAIA, but hey ho, if you get this new one as well you have two great flavors of the same tech.

The Jupiter patch on the Roland Canada vid was jaw droppingly good.... I don't think they have changed it from the Jup 80/50 other than giving you 7 global effects which means the synth sound can be compressed as well... It sounded better than any of the Jup 80/50 demos IE through the slight distortion of U tube demos, so maybe it is just that bit better

I think 2 blocks of triple synth engine (GAIA plus) is enough for most, especially those confused by the Jupiter blocks on blocks and the efx routing which is still limited in some ways (although much more flexible than ver 1)...

The lack of red or blue paint stripes also lifts the look. It really looks the part. I have no need for organ sounds but that looks more fun for those users than a list of PCM organ presets in PCM to search through... The 60's transistor organ is a nice addition to the Super Natural organ part. I don't see that in the SuperNatural patch list on the Integra7 or Jups so it looks very new...
MusicFan
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
MusicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

A chap who speaks to Roland allot told me the GAIA was based on COSM

Rolands GAIA import documents said VA (as in not PCM)

I suspect when they named the Jups synth a SuperNatural Synth it was just a new name for COSM.

It makes no sense to take what is more like the Jupiter than the GAIA and make it different.

I have no idea why some people need to try to suggest these things are different. They appear to be the same basic technology. The GAIA is more preset in some ways to make it operation simpler. Add some EQ to it to cut the high frequencies and you will hear the VA of old...

The new V Combo has some stuff I wish they had added to the GAIA, but hey ho, if you get this new one as well you have two great flavors of the same tech.

The Jupiter patch on the Roland Canada vid was jaw droppingly good.... I don't think they have changed it from the Jup 80/50 other than giving you 7 global effects which means the synth sound can be compressed as well... It sounded better than any of the Jup 80/50 demos IE through the slight distortion of U tube demos, so maybe it is just that bit better

I think 2 blocks of triple synth engine (GAIA plus) is enough for most, especially those confused by the Jupiter blocks on blocks and the efx routing which is still limited in some ways (although much more flexible than ver 1)...

The lack of red or blue paint stripes also lifts the look. It really looks the part. I have no need for organ sounds but that looks more fun for those users than a list of PCM organ presets in PCM to search through... The 60's transistor organ is a nice addition to the Super Natural organ part. I don't see that in the SuperNatural patch list on the Integra7 or Jups so it looks very new...
The VR-09 piano is not a SN piano (SN = no velocity switching but seamless sound transition from velocity 0-127) from the JP/Integra series, but based on the pure sample based Fantom/Juno Stage engine, with the usual velocity switching.

Sweetwater Price VR-09 : $ 999 Roland V-Combo VR-09 | Sweetwater.com

OK, Sweetwater tells us: Roland V-Combo VR-09 | Sweetwater.com

"Three top-level sound engines cover all the bases
Combining Roland's acclaimed Virtual Tone Wheel organ engine with their SuperNATURAL orchestral sound engine and classic synth sounds, the V-Combo VR-09 will never leave you high and dry on tones. Whether you need a whirling organ (complete with leakage and click noise), a glossy EP, or an old-school SH-2 analog synth, you've got it all! What's more, there's a whole host of cool effects onboard the VR-09 to flesh out your tones, such as overdrive, amp emulators, phasers, and rotary cabinet emulators, including a cool Twin-Rotary effect."

"Includes Roland's Virtual Tone Wheel organ engine, SuperNATURAL orchestral sound engine, full-wave piano sounds, and classic synth emulator"

I just reflected on the whole issue and indeed it seems to me that i underrated the VR-09. It seems to offer a VA synth engine, a so called SN organ and other SN orchestral sounds (!!!) and some very good sample based sounds, like the piano from the Juno Stage. So you have a VA synth plus some SN sounds and very good sample based stuff, much better than the samples from KingKorg. The VA engine from KingKORG seems to be superiour instead.

Finally: VR-09 and Integra-7 will contribute to the further drastical decrease of Jupiter-80 and 50 sales. Quite self-destructive strategy from Roland, but good for new customers, who didn't like the JP-80/50 series, but will now probably change their minds and purchase an Interga-7 or VR-09 instead!

So yes, I was wrong on the VR-09...

25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I agree that possible Jupiter-50 prospects will take a look at VR-09 (such as me) now when they are available. There's something nice about taking a sub $1k keyboard to gigs and if it breaks down due to the normal mayhem (like bass players jumping around left and right not looking where they land) it's not a big deal. Plus loading/unloading with a light and small keyboard is nice. It all depends how good the VR-09 organ sounds are just now for me.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm still wanting something with the Jupiter name on it, which I'm sure has a few slutzkis here groaning, but oh well.

I don't know... even with all the gear I now own, something portable but potent for quick totes to the studio might be a good idea, maybe the VR-09 and King KORG both. Finances will decide, as always...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Korg is wiping the floor with them all. Kronos, ms20, krome, King Korg. Way better than any of this crap.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm really interested in this synth because i have no hardware for organs and pianos, so far i'm stuck with VSTs when i want these sounds. The VR-09 sounds gorgeous, i gotta say.
Also i like performance synths that you can tweak live but they can still work when you compose in studio. I like the fact there is a looper inside for quick ideas.

And i own a SH-201 which is hated by a lot, but i just think it's a cute synth with great controls. I believe the VR-09 would complement with the SH-201 quite nicely.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Korg is wiping the floor with them all. Kronos, ms20, krome, King Korg. Way better than any of this crap.
Now, from a pure marketing/sales point of view, there are bigger margins and markets selling live and home/hobbyist gear than analog/VA synths.

And as I mentioned earlier, a lot of young producers use Massive, Sylenth et rest SW plug-ins, even if analog is supposedly better (which I also sometimes doubt) they have to compete against that. At least new analog gear is getting cheaper which is good -- but then the profit margins go down as well.

I still think Roland did the best they could concerning their current financial situation.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

just downloaded the VR-09 editor for ipad

so it's NOT gaia for sure...you have super saw detune for example and under oscilators you have pcm the same as the integra 7

you don't have the choice of the 4 low pass filter types like on the integra 7 however

vr-09 has 363 pcm waves
jupiter 80 has 363 waves
integra 7 has 450 pcm waves

sorry for the large screen grabs but they ARE useful for people enquiring about the differences:

roland VR-09

Roland Integra 7

Roland jupiter 80

logic pro 9, roland sh-01, minibrute, nanozwerg, volca bass, arturia jp8V and semV, blofeld electribe, korg ddd1 and yamaha rx5
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

So the VR-09 is hiding underneath it skin a very flexible synthesizer...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
So the VR-09 is hiding underneath it skin a very flexible synthesizer...

yeh it's basically the same as a jupiter 80 minus the revsion II low pass filters that roland stuff into the jupiter 80 and 50 at a later date.

btw the integra 7 has more pcm' than ANY of the jupiters

other than that the editor looksthe same for all of them....ie pretty darn cool for $999
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

cresshead, that's what we were saying too. Thanks for going the extra mile for us. I looked over the VR-09 editor closely and noticed that it was essentially the same thing as the JP/Integra VA tone, minus the modeled filters. And it definitely didn't sound like a Gaia, which to me sounds uncomfortably like it uses the Fantom filters.

For a first/only keyboard, the VR-09 is kind of limited, such as offering only two sounds at once. But it does give you a TON of things to play with. I can just imagine how nerve wracking it would be for me if I was waiting on these guys to ship and wanting one for my first synths. With a VR and King KORG, I'd be in synth heaven, and not spend an arm and a leg getting there - as much as on a new P08!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan View Post
VR-09
Yep the Organ is the main SN part.

The VA synth is a VA plus it does ,like the new Jups, have access to a list of their classic synth history in the form of PCM waves to route through its engine when you specifically set the OSC to PCM and select a wave.

The rest of the sounds are PCM and GM. It does not have many sounds so it is possible they have only select sounds aimed at the target user group.

There is a drum unit with patterns hidden away for backing. The loop function over comes poly and track limits for that kind of stuff...
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

And if you want an SN piano, then get real keys too:

Somebody has got that love that.

These two products may help turn them round me thinks...
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Random post

Vfx
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Vfx
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLAND RAZZ View Post
Didn't like the GAIA, wow. The AX synth is just for fun and you had one, bummer.
Yea, I did not like the Gaia. I got it when it first came out and was disappointed with a few things. On my unit some keys were louder/mechanically noisier than others, that annoyed me, also the GM sounds would stay on over all other Midi channels when using Midi. Roland offered an update to switch those sounds off but after I sold it. Sound wise it was OK. I think "Virtual Analog" (what ever that means: PCM or analog modeling or whatever) is pointless. I had concluded that if I wanted analog (either DCO or VCO) I would buy analog. I have enough experience to know the difference when using an instrument, when I am face to face with it. It does not have that analog feel I guess that I am used to. The Build quality of these synths is not as good as they could be and honsetly I prefer 61 notes on synths that are not monophonic. Realistically it is an inexpensive light synth and I guess Roland is selling a lot of them.
The AX-Synth was fun but I concluded that synthesis/sound wise it really did not offer anything that my Fantom could not and editing on a computer is a drag. I probably would have kept it if it was Multitimbral. I think 128 voices of polyphony was overkill on it with out being multitimbral.
The New Juno's I had (I wasted my money) were too redundant for me I bought a Juno-G but got a Fantom X shortly after and they were too similar so I got rid of the G. I bought a Di thinking I would use it as a performance board because it was light but sounds were redundant and decided to sell it because I have older Roland boards that could do those duties. I pretty much concluded looking at my gear I had to many Roland Romplers that were pretty much the same or too similar in synthesis and sound. So I sold all of my plastic short keyed Romplers and "virtual analog" synths (microKorg, SH-01 Gaia, SH-201, AX-Synth, Juno-G, and Juno-Di) too much G.A.S.
Any way I have been using Roland for well over 20 years now and my rig is basically all Roland except for two Moogs.
Honestly I am tired of the trite offerings from Roland lately and am annoyed when they say the are looking to the future when they certainly do not mind using the names and color schemes/ design schemes from their original past synths which are legendary (Jupiter, Juno, etc) it is all marketing and pretty lame IMO.
The V-Synth was the last Roland synth I bought that I feel was different and not a rehash of say the JV series. It actually had new things to offer and mangle audio along with analog modeling that I found as a synthesist useful and inspiring for writing and sound design.
I love Roland and they had made so many awesome synths through their history and I was there for a good part of it BUT lately what gives?
Again I love Roland they really have not offered anything I find inspiring anymore. I love my Roland synths but where are Roland with something radically new or maybe they could reissue synths they made that are in high demand on the used market that built Roland's reputation.
With all these new keyboards Roland puts out I believe they could be alienating die hard synth fans with their current trend. I am hoping they will rise high soon with something else that really grabs synthesists again.
Really though, how many piano sounds does a synthesist need?
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't want a Jupiter or Integra because of the pianos.

I happen to think they're delicious synthesizers just from pouring over YouTube vids and mp3s. And I have tuned my ears to dig out the character of synths so that even with the KORG Kronos, I was pretty well familiar with it already when I got my hands on one.

The Jupiters are just like any other synth. Some will like them, some will turn up their noses. Frankly, I don't care what the politically correct music is these days, or synths either. I often have this uncanny feeling that there are a small number of us with an actual unbiased brain who can appreciate something just on the basis of the fact that it can be a good tool in the hands of a talented programmer. And produce amazing musical results. I have this crazy idea about all kinds of instruments being cool in their own way, which earned me the evidently unsavory label of a "rompler luuver." Like I really care what anyone thinks of me or romplers.

I have this crazy idea that the Jupiters and Integras are great VAs. I don't think Roland is hosing or hoodwinking anyone for making them. But I do think some people's opinions are too infected with herd mentality virus to see past their preconceived notions of what a "real" synth is.

I've decided that by hook or crook, I'm going to review either a Jupiter or Integra, and I won't do any other reviews until I do. And if I have fun making sounds on one, and dare to like the results, and seriously want one, I will say so, and probably cause more eyes to roll. If so, whatever, I'll have earned a few more trophies from around here to cherish.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I just visited a bar where a group of musicians I know played, looking at the space they were crammed into -- and this was a typical bar -- could I squeak in a possible Jupiter 50/80 there, no. Even a Nord 73 Electro would be tight, but a VR-09 playing in standing position, that would have worked.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search