Login / Register

have a nord g2 on the way
New Reply
Subscribe
dionysiananarchy
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

have a nord g2 on the way (update, got it now)

so i have one on the way, i am pretty excited about it from what i have seen online.

i am interested in knowing more about this synth, so any opinions or tips would be great,

i have the demo software, its great, but i cant use the fm modules, how are they?
dionysiananarchy
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013

i love this thing, its crazy cool, the g2 has a flexibility i find inspiring to no end, i have done things in the last few days i never woulda imagined before,,,,

i guess i am trying to say i like it a lot,
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

I love my G2! This is the world of synthesis not just a synth! Years of fun ahead.
dionysiananarchy
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013

i have been messing with it for hours tonight, its like an experiment, i want to see what everything will do, its great,

i am still new to it so i am still trying to work out the more complex features, but even just stacking oscs with filters and effects and then lfo.s is going great at this point, i want to figure out the more complex stuff,

this synth is definitely worth the money, its a system, i think once i really get the hang of it i can see some really great stuff happening, especially in the evolving pads , its unlimited the amount of change
Oli
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

check out the resources at electro-music. Lots of learning material there.

You will also find bug descriptions. Don't let them put you off too much. Every design has issues, but the G2 has plenty to celebrate.

Which version did you get? I went for the G2x. It was after a hiatus, and I decided to go for decent keys at the time.
dionysiananarchy
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013

well, i traded a synth for it, i had an omega 2 voice from studio electronics, it sounded really amazing, i liked it a lot, but i never used it too much, i think it was the interface,, i just never clicked with it,, the sound i liked though,,,,

i got the regular g2,

i have only had it since yesterday, but i can tell already i love it, i have been making sounds for hours today,, ones that i wanted but couldn't do very easy on the virus,,, or totally new sounds that kinda came up thru randomly tweaking,,,, it seems like the interface and the way the software works really helps with creativity for me, i like to experiment so this really fits me,

i havent had it long so i cant tell if running out of voices will be an issue, i hear some website sells the expansion,
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Congrats

It's probably my favorite synth and it's indeed a fantastic machine.
I have 2 G2Xs and a G2 Engine, so you can see how much I like them

Do as Oli mentioned, go to electro-music.com, there are lots of resources for the G2 there

And don't think you'll learn everything that quick:P
Check some of the patches there, cause some are just insane configurations of modules... but work pretty well
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

G2 is great, you'll enjoy it:-) I'm looking to pick one up myself. You got a great deal on that too!

I think it's the tops for digital synthesis. I'm always a little worried about future OSX support which scares me.

But if your'e into synthesis, it's just one of those pieces that'll always have you going.

I think especially for a hobbyist it can scratch that synthesis need.

When I had one before, I always thought one of the cooler ideas to do would be to pick up an analog filter like a sherman that's midi cc controllable, and then use the individual outputs to route through the filter, and then back into the synth engine...:> hybrid. Control the sherman by CCs out from the nord... could be tons of fun, and give it that warmth...

On that note though, I've ALWAYS loved G1 sounds, a friend of mine in Sweden had one when they came out, and he used to show me the sounds he got and, for the most part i was really blown away, they were goa trance type sounds, but very unique, while still having the old goa sound(which is basically nord lead/virus). I've never owned a G1, are htey worth owning now? On that synth I'm VERY worried about OSX compatibility.

What benefits does the G2 really have over the G1? I prefer the nord 1 to the nord 2, and dont really like the nord 3 that the g2 is based off of. I know the g2 has a ton more features.

has anyone gotten g1 software to work on newer osx?
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

The sound is different, a bit like Nord Lead 2 vs Lead 3.
I like the sound of both.
Actually, I like the sound of all Nord synths I heard so far, I think they did a great job with their synths.

Other than that, the G1 has a worse interface, short delays only (and less effects too), and no MIDI modules (at least the G2 had CC modules, but a shame they didn't include Sysex too...).

I can't use my G1 with Clavia's editor on Mac OS 10.6, but with 10.5 it worked pretty well...
Unfortunately that laptop I had died... but I still have my iMac G5 to program it, just need to remodel my studio to get it to good use soon

I think it's a great buy, and I have an expanded keyboard plus a MicroModular in addition to my G2 setup.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
Actually, I like the sound of all Nord synths I heard so far, I think they did a great job with their synths.

Other than that, the G1 has a worse interface, short delays only (and less effects too), and no MIDI modules (at least the G2 had CC modules, but a shame they didn't include Sysex too...).

I can't use my G1 with Clavia's editor on Mac OS 10.6, but with 10.5 it worked pretty well...
Unfortunately that laptop I had died... but I still have my iMac G5 to program it, just need to remodel my studio to get it to good use soon

I think it's a great buy, and I have an expanded keyboard plus a MicroModular in addition to my G2 setup.

by interface do you mean software wise or the keyboard itself ?:-)
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Congrats! As you're discovering, it's a great digital synth that will keep you happy for many years. I'm at year 6 with mine and still madly in love with it. Pretty sure I'm a G2 lifer at this point.

A 3rd-party G2 expansion card is available from Encore Electronics. I've left mine unexpanded and have never had an issue, but I know others couldn't live without the extra power.

Welcome to Encore Electronics

Also, if you haven't already found it, Rob Hordijk's G2 Workshops and Tutorials is an excellent learning tool for the G2. I consider this essential reading for any G2 owner as it gets into concepts and applications that are far beyond anything in the manual provided by Clavia.

SynthesisWorkshops
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Great machine even with the presets. Surprisingly good on board editing, even with out the computer. Good effects and a board that can be installed to double the memory. Such an elegant machine. I had a G2X and miss that 61 key dream machine terribly. Congrats, and I am very envious of your find.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
by interface do you mean software wise or the keyboard itself ?:-)
The keyboard itself.

The software is more or less the same.
If you can work well on the G2's editor, you should be able to do that too with the original editor
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
The keyboard itself.

The software is more or less the same.
If you can work well on the G2's editor, you should be able to do that too with the original editor
The keyboard it self goes a long way much unlike the G1. I gigged with my G2X with ever touching the computer editor.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

cool, I think ill save up for that, it might take a while though!

how long of a delay does it have? my G1 has a whopping 2.65Ms
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

2.7 seconds.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree, the G2 is far more like the Nordlead 3, polished, digital, good strings, FM, and a buttery pad type sound. The Nord 2 is far more raw and edgy. My humble observation.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

not as raw as a polivoks though
dionysiananarchy
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013

thanks, i think i might as well toss my other digital hardware synths, the g2 has the sounds i want covered, plus the interface gives me ideas, it has soooo much stuff its by far the deepest hardware synth, yet the easiest to get complex sounds i ever have had.... i have a virus snow, i programed it on the computer, but i rarely got anything that was worth it, no idea why.. i love the sound of the virus,

i have notived the sound it very clean, but just in the few days i have had it i made more sounds i liked then any other synth i ever had, i dirtied up some of the sounds and got a more punchy feel with the various distortions and comp, i am thinking this is a great synth for evolving pads, the sequencer modules, the random generators, all kinds of crazy stuff makes for pads that evolve forever in diffrent ways,,,,, i just dont know how to make um,,,,,,

one last thing,,, shame on clavia for stopping this line of synths, its ****ing ridiculous, i guess its easier to market an organ than a crazy digital modular....
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

This spectrum tilt filter building block patch is useful for rounding out the sound a bit. Honestly I just barely grasp the concept of this patch, but I put it on almost everything that comes out of the G2 and adjust the tone control a bit until my ears say "ahh, that's better".

electro-music.com :: View topic - Spectrum tilting
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLAND RAZZ View Post
I have to respectfully disagree, the G2 is far more like the Nordlead 3, polished, digital, good strings, FM, and a buttery pad type sound. The Nord 2 is far more raw and edgy. My humble observation.
If it wasn't clear, what I meant is that the G2 is to the G1 just like the Lead 3 is to the G1.
The sound of the G2 is more similar to the Lead 3, while the G1 is more similar to the Lead 2, which in my opinion makes it worth having both.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

[QUOTE=paugui;8663099]If it wasn't clear, what I meant is that the G2 is to the G1 just like the Lead 3 is to the G1.
The sound of the G2 is more similar to the Lead 3, while the G1 is more similar to the Lead 2, which in my opinion makes it worth having both.[/QUOTE

Thanks dude I was confused. I totally agree.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear maniac

I would say that the G2 is much much more than a 'Sounds Like X/Y' kind of synth, simply because it can do so much more than any other digital synth, give or take things like sampling. This thing can be like any VA or FM synth you can imagine and the nsome, and it can act as a good FX processor for other gear too.

Only thing I'd recommend is running it into a good preamp to boost its output and add some extra tube or transistor vibes.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

True, but the basic sound is given by algorithms similar to the Lead 2 (for the G1) and Lead 3 (for the G2), so they both have a different character.
But you can definitely do a lot with either of them for sure
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
I would say that the G2 is much much more than a 'Sounds Like X/Y' kind of synth, simply because it can do so much more than any other digital synth, give or take things like sampling. This thing can be like any VA or FM synth you can imagine and the nsome, and it can act as a good FX processor for other gear too.

Only thing I'd recommend is running it into a good preamp to boost its output and add some extra tube or transistor vibes.
That is what I did. That is one downfall.
Oli
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy View Post
i traded a synth for it, i had an omega 2 voice ... i like to experiment so this really fits me
Cool. Many have been disappointed with the sound of the G2, particularly in comparison to something like the Omega. However, it is great to experiment with. Sounds like a good fit indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 View Post
Also, if you haven't already found it, Rob Hordijk's G2 Workshops and Tutorials is an excellent learning tool for the G2. I consider this essential reading for any G2 owner as it gets into concepts and applications that are far beyond anything in the manual provided by Clavia.

SynthesisWorkshops
Hordijk, Kuit, and Singer have all published really great work in this regard, as have others on the electro-music site. Clavia's manual is more of a reference.

Quote:
thanks, i think i might as well toss my other digital hardware synths
G2 doesn't do some tricks found in some fixed VA architectures, such as oversampling for a filter or ring mod. Plenty of discussions to be found on this. It's tricky in a modular environment to assign required resources to handle oversampling.

Quote:
shame on clavia for stopping this line of synths, its ****ing ridiculous, i guess its easier to market an organ than a crazy digital modular....
They weren't popular, and they may have lost money overall. Conventional instruments will always have a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 View Post
This spectrum tilt filter building block patch is useful for rounding out the sound a bit.
It can help disguise some issues with the high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
I don't have any problem with the output level of my G2 (or NM1). They can both drive my converters to full range. Analogue stages for coloration is another matter though.
dionysiananarchy
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013

just on a put tone level, the omega is hard to beat, i just had a problem with the interface, it wasn't fun for me.

i would rather have something like the g2 that makes more complex evolving sounds, a heavy buzzy analog bass is great, but how many times can you use it? the omega wasn't very versatile... i actually like my minibrute a lot better, partially because of the tonally variety partly because of the interface.

the sound of the g2 has to be kinda coaxed out in certain areas,, its never gonna do as well as the omega for those heavy bass sounds, leads, but you can do a lot to get a better sound in those areas.... but lets see the omega do a crazy evolving pad with tons of modulation and effects.

the issues i had with my omega was the arp, stacking voices, and versatility,.. plus you couldn't save patch edits in the multimode,,, i hated that, not a deal breaker but annoying... i loved it bass though, it was a monster for that, but just about every sound i made on it seemed to turn into a stack unison sound, with a ton of buzz, 99% of the time i would just use the evolver or minibrute, it was faster and i wasn't loosing much.

i can understand why they would loose money, they are a bit complex, most people dont want to design their own sounds, not saying its a bad thing, but its the case, plus as i recall they were pretty expensive.... bad combo,

soundwise its a bit like the elektron gear, not the best sound quality right away, but with some tweaking it comes along very well, and the versatility is great,,, as a complete system its amazing, i mean look at the octarack, its a decent sounding sampler, not the best, with a sequencer that software destroys as far as features go,,,, but somehow the package makes a super inspiring box that i love,
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search