Virus A/B vs JP8000 for rich pad sounds?
bruvvamoff
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

Virus A/B vs JP8000 for rich pad sounds?

Hi all.

Sorry for yet another virus vs ? thread.
I used to own a JP8000 which I sold to downsize to the rack version (JP8080)
Trouble is noone is selling a JP8080, not in the UK anyway.
If anyone has ever owned a JP they will know about the rich/warm/juno type pad sounds it's capable of, and it was my favourite characteristic.
I often used to hit the sawtooth oscillator, add some fx and simply float away for hours (as you do)
I'm seeing that for the same price as a JP8080 I could get a Virus A or B, but Im wondering if it is capable of the sawtooth richness of the Roland?
I wish I could test a Virus A or B but the only models in stores are Ti's which are out of my price range and uncomfortably complex for my 90's mind.
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Roland and Virus are 2 different beasts. Virus is meaty but it has not a sharp high end.
I own both Virus and V-synth (which has a fair bit of JP8000 in it's VA section + more).

V-synth is the most underrated synth ever, it does sampling too and has that COSM stuff. You should have more pad possibilities with that one.

Still virus B is my favourite VA though, even though it does not have supersaw and sampling

bruvvamoff
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

[QUOTE=Optical Lens;8648129]Roland and Virus are 2 different beasts. Virus is meaty but it has not a sharp high end.
I own both Virus and V-synth (which has a fair bit of JP8000 in it's VA section + more).

V-synth is the most underrated synth ever, it does sampling too and has that COSM stuff. You should have more pad possibilities with that one.

Still virus B is my favourite VA though, even though it does not have supersaw and sampling

Do you find that the third oscillator on the Virus sets it apart from the V?
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hard to tell, virus has a different sound! Different oscs, different filters, different structure.

Roland and virus covers different grounds, but both are great for pads ... I'd say get both!
bruvvamoff
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
Hard to tell, virus has a different sound! Different oscs, different filters, different structure.

Roland and virus covers different grounds, but both are great for pads ... I'd say get both!
Can't afford both, haven't the rack space, and imo there is probably going to be a large overlap between the two.
Right now I'm remembering the feedback oscillator on the jp.
Could the virus replicate that sound I wonder?
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

As has been said the Virus and JP sound is very different. I love my JP, I'm in the UK and it took me a while to find one in decent nick and for a fair price. The Virus can't do the feedback osc. If I had to choose a workhorse it would be the Virus. If I wanted character it's the JP all the way for me. The pads so lush and despite what some people say here the filter has that squelchy Roland character which you cannot get on a Virus.

The JP also has bite in the oscillators, the Virus has an almost muffled quality to them, probably to reduce aliasing. The JP aliases but it's a part of the sound to me.

Good luck with you choice.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
As has been said the Virus and JP sound is very different. I love my JP, I'm in the UK and it took me a while to find one in decent nick and for a fair price. The Virus can't do the feedback osc. If I had to choose a workhorse it would be the Virus. If I wanted character it's the JP all the way for me. The pads so lush and despite what some people say here the filter has that squelchy Roland character which you cannot get on a Virus.

The JP also has bite in the oscillators, the Virus has an almost muffled quality to them, probably to reduce aliasing. The JP aliases but it's a part of the sound to me.

Good luck with you choice.
THis just about sums it up. Since I bought my Virus TI (two weeks ago) i have been seriously wondering whether I still need the JP8000. I'm still not sure, but it would probably be a pity to get rid of it, especially as if I do regret it and want another one, it might be a problem to find one as good as the one I have now.

D.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

hold out for the JP8080 - I'm waiting on one, and fully expecting it to be a game changer.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
THis just about sums it up. Since I bought my Virus TI (two weeks ago) i have been seriously wondering whether I still need the JP8000. I'm still not sure, but it would probably be a pity to get rid of it, especially as if I do regret it and want another one, it might be a problem to find one as good as the one I have now.

D.
Don't loose the JP. I did for a few years and I missed it. It is one of those instruments I can just turn on and play for hours and it keeps giving. The Virus is a great machine, but I don't get the same vibe from it. It is a workhorse though, and there are things the Virus does that the JP cannot go close to.

As usual there is no right answer, I am glad I managed to get both and won't be loosing either soon.

Oh and believe me, finding a JP in good condition without knob rot is getting harder. My last JP was self editing all over the place. My new one is almost like new.

Last edited by totty; 19th January 2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Addition
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
I don't know if this is worth anything. I own and have used Virus B so I know the sound, haven't used any Roland hardware, but as soon as I got D-16 LuSH-101 and TAL U-NO-LX plugins, I kind of figured out the Roland sound. Even if they're only plugins, emulating Rolands. LuSH emulates SH-101, but has a supersaw option and LX is a Juno clone. In my opinion, Virus can't do similar sound. It's got it's own sound.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Lush 101 and U-NO are great I agree. The U-NO has certainly nailed the Juno sound for me. I had a 106 years back, maybe it was me, I found it harsh, a bit lifeless and the parameter resolution shite. I actually prefer the Alpha Juno sound and U-NO has a bit of that too.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

If you are running a powerful pc then look at uhe diva. It sounds absolutely beautiful. My virus c hasn't done much since I bought it and id take the virus c over a jp8080.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear addict

Me being a Roland fanboy of course I love the JP8000 and regret never getting one. With that being a new Virus TI snow keyboard is just more instrument and far more complex making comparison apples and oranges. Given the choice I would go with the Virus everyday and twice on Sundays. It is just a deeper machine.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

The JP will give you Jupiter 6 pads all day, plus you get the Super Saw and more.

Its a Legend.

Bought mine new in 98.
bruvvamoff
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Gear addict

Thanks all for the input. Glad to see mixed responses, I do miss the JP.
I managed to bag a Virus B at a killer price, time will tell if the Virus manages to replace the Roland.
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
The JP will give you Jupiter 6 pads all day, plus you get the Super Saw and more.

Its a Legend.

Bought mine new in 98.
This is true, but the Virus is absolute pad heaven. This is true for the Virus B as much as any other. All Viruses have first-rate effects, including an absolutely awesome phaser. This, and the very comprehensive modulation matrix, mean it can make some of the best pad sounds you'll ever hear.

Congrats to the PO on buying the Virus B. Let us know what you think of it.
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is true, but the Virus is absolute pad heaven. The is true for the Virus B as much as any other, BTW. All Viruses have first-rate effects, including an absolutely awesome phaser. This, and hte very comprehensive modulation matrix, mean it can make some of the best pad sounds you'll ever hear.
Second that!!! Virus has VERY llush effects, especially the phaser, I use virus B as an effects unit too. Gotta love all those ins and outs
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post

Its a Legend.

Bought mine new in 98.

Agreed. It's the closest hardware va to a jp6.
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Get this!
Attached Thumbnails
Virus A/B vs JP8000 for rich pad sounds?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1358717865.195350.jpg  
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think the JP-8k is not about the complexity rather the instant gratification of a wide palette of sounds.
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I've heard 8000/8080 demos that have sounded ravey as hell (in good way) then demos that sound oldschool analogue.

I'm getting a JP8080 asap soon as luck brings a good one my way - just as soon as I don't get side tracked by other synths I want

I do kinda want a virus desktop, B or C - the Indigo 2 is real sexy too!!
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

It's just occurred to me that the JP8000 would sound fantastic through the Virus effects. I must try that when I get the time.

My conclusion is that you absolutely must have both or your music will suffer...
bruvvamoff
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
My conclusion is that you absolutely must have both or your music will suffer...
Spoken like a true Gearslut
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruvvamoff View Post
Spoken like a true Gearslut

I've just been experimenting with putting the Minibrute through the Virus' filters and effects. The sound was amazing.

The cherry on the icing is that with the TI you can do it all via USB, including the input, and then all of your settings and whatnot are saved in the DAW project when you close it. The more I play with the Virus the more awed I am by it.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

this must be one of those 'good luck' threads - I just copped what looks like a great condition JP8080, couldn't resist - can tell its going to be a joy to program compared to some of my other rack units. even though its old it'll be one of the 'newer' synths in my collection. am just hoping is survives the postal journey.

Some serious love for the TI on this thread, got to check it - I love the smaller Virus keyboards, they just look stunning!
bruvvamoff
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

[QUOTE=danielb;8661501]

I've just been experimenting with putting the Minibrute through the Virus' filters and effects. The sound was amazing. QUOTE]

I have boss guitar pedals for chorus, delay, distortion, compression, you name it.
By the time you run a synth through them, the possibilities are simply limitless.
I hear good things about the phaser on the virus, wonder what it will do to my guitar?
bruvvamoff
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
this must be one of those 'good luck' threads - I just copped what looks like a great condition JP8080, couldn't resist - can tell its going to be a joy to program compared to some of my other rack units. even though its old it'll be one of the 'newer' synths in my collection. am just hoping is survives the postal journey.

Some serious love for the TI on this thread, got to check it - I love the smaller Virus keyboards, they just look stunning!
You won't regret buying it. Make sure you play with the feedback oscillator, it's untouched by anything I've heard elsewhere.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just occurred to me that the JP8000 would sound fantastic through the Virus effects. I must try that when I get the time.

That is the reason I like the SH-201 better than the JP-8k. A reverb/mod. delay is just more usable than a chorus/delay. In addition you have all kind of control over the effect as well.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruvvamoff View Post
You won't regret buying it. Make sure you play with the feedback oscillator, it's untouched by anything I've heard elsewhere.
thanks bro - I pick my synths very carefully. Have Memorymoog, D-550, Sh-2, Blofeld, Emu Proteus modules, ATC1 and plan to get a DX7IID - the 8080 does some stuff I can't reach with the other synths (except maybe the Blofeld)
bruvvamoff
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
thanks bro - I pick my synths very carefully. Have Memorymoog, D-550, Sh-2, Blofeld, Emu Proteus modules, ATC1 and plan to get a DX7IID - the 8080 does some stuff I can't reach with the other synths (except maybe the Blofeld)
Holy crap, you do like your synths.
My synth history, Yamaha DJX(sold), Korg Triton(sold), Roland JP8000(sold), Korg MS2000(sold), Virus B(in the post)
As you can tell I don't like having 2 synths at once.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search