How big is your Loop/Sample Library collection?
View Poll Results: How big is your Loop/Sample Library collection?
less than 5gb
10 Votes - 22.22%
5-20gb
4 Votes - 8.89%
20-100gb
14 Votes - 31.11%
over 100gb
17 Votes - 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

How big is your Loop/Sample Library collection?

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently working on a research project at school and need to find out how big the Loop and Sample library of producers and DJs is?

Just to clarify:

Loops: Individual Loops, Loop Packs, Traktor Remix Sets etc
Samples: Sample Libraries/Packs, Sample based instruments (Kontakt), Maschine/MPC Expansion Packs or similar

Regular MP3 Songs or Albums and Vinyls are not included.

Thank you loads for your input and feedback!
Old 10th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Over 100...i chose option 3 by mistake .
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

if i compiled everything, pellas & diff formats ect, i'd probs have over a TB
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

around 60 gb
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

250GB of loops amd counting. Plus reason, plus zebra, plus diva, cant go wrong. I usually construct an instrumental with loops when I want it to sound like a live band, I use original work for that weird tripped out magic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Head

I have a bimonthly cull of everything I don't use. It means I'm less likely to put something on the back burner and leave it there in purgatory.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

about 30 GB, although if you include the libraries of Omnisphere, trilian, Kontakt etc there's well over 120GB.

Most of my library is free loop downloads from the internet [there's a great resource over at KVR for free sources] and there are a few paid-for packs on there aswell. I used to be a loop snob, but then figured they were both a great source of material for FSU FX chains [never the same sound twice] and a great way of piecing together a track quickly. Sometimes I go back and work on the details, sometimes I leave it well alone.

In fact, just the other day I purchased Odyssey by Ian Boddy, which is a collection of cool sample packs I've always thought might be fun. The Zero-g sale mad the packs £10 each, which was too good a deal to pass up.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well over 100 gigs (probably over 1 terabyte). That includes the EW Complete Composer Collection, Kontakt factory + some add-on libs, Battery and Omnisphere.
Old 10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
digital ears love analog

Does it include what you have made yourself?
Old 10th January 2013

Probably less than a couple of GB which is mostly ambient field recordings. Don't ever use loops (other than my own) because that just seems like lameness.
Old 11th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Probably less than a couple of GB which is mostly ambient field recordings. Don't ever use loops (other than my own) because that just seems like lameness.

Its obvious this includes all your library... your own too.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Waaaaaaaaay over one hundred gigs. But that's partly because I'm getting into doing some soundtrack work again. Sample libraries are pretty darn useful for that kinda stuff.
Old 11th January 2013
Stand alone loops, so not including the samples that are part of my synths and kontakt, about 40gb.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
250GB of loops amd counting. Plus reason, plus zebra, plus diva, cant go wrong. I usually construct an instrumental with loops when I want it to sound like a live band, I use original work for that weird tripped out magic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Amen to that

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Old 11th January 2013
Gear addict

Probably around 30 gig, but I really only use a tiny snippet of that.
Old 11th January 2013
120gb, as much as my MPC can hold. Though out of that collection I maybe have only a gig or two of selected samples I actually like and use in production.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear interested

hey, thanks for all the great feedback. I'm surprised that so many people have more than 100gb of content. How would you go about managing and organising all those files? per vendor? per instrument?
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuredanny View Post
hey, thanks for all the great feedback. I'm surprised that so many people have more than 100gb of content. How would you go about managing and organising all those files? per vendor? per instrument?
Per instrument for the most part. I'm not a very organized guy, so I've never tried to categorize them or organize them in any way. There are EWQL libraries, Kontakt libraries, Engine libraries and so on. Keeping track of it all is... well, pretty useless, really. Heh.

And you get to more than 100 gigs quickly these days - just the EWQL CCC is around two hundred, I think. Single libraries can easily be 20-30 gigs each.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear maniac

22.2gb, now I feel inadequate
Old 17th January 2013

With an 8TB thunderbolt drive I have almost 4TB of it filled to the brim with nearly endless instrument samples, loops, and etc...

I've estimated the commercial value to be worth in the $50,000 - $100,000 range.

This includes a shit-ton of stuff, though. Multiple full orchestral libraries, insane amount of kontakt libraries, an endless supply of drums, and of course scores and scores of sound effects and field recordings.

I try to have my computer downloading samples almost 24 / 7. Whether instrument libraries, drum samples, or sound fx, there is always more to be had. The shit is all on the internet, get it while it's hot!

How to organize? When I worked with one of Hollywood's top Librarians I learned some really great stuff. The best thing I learned was that your library should only have 2 levels of folders.

I have about 200 top level folders, and depending on what is their contents they might have anywhere from 5-100 subfolders. Never any deeper than this :

Category --> Subcategory --> Samples

Thanks to Ableton Live 9, which has a "Samples" folder that literally holds every single sample, I can actually see that I have :

1,264,227 samples
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

can i include my vinyl collection? i sample loops and samples from it all the time. its over 1000 LPs and about 300 45s. not sure what that translates to in digital space terms though. its heavy as shit and sucks to move.

EDIT: i chose over 100gb. while i dont have many loop/sample packs, i have about 40-50gb of drums and other weird 1-shot sounds and some drum breaks etc. so add that to my record collection and we're well over 100gb.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

A few hundred megabytes of drum samples, mostly 909's .

Hundreds of crappy (I don't sample good music on principle) LP's and 7"'s that I've bought from flea markets, with the intention of sampling them one day.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search