Sh!t can my hr824s for? A7x?
New Reply
Subscribe
javd007
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Sh!t can my hr824s for? A7x?

My monitors consist of: ns10s, auratone 5c, and mackie hr 824. The 824s are for listening to music as well as some mixing. The key thing I like is that they are loud and sound great for playing music on. However for mixing they are meh. I need a set of speakers that not only is 1.loud 2. Sounds great 3. Can mix on. Will Adam a7x fit the criteria? How about jbl 4311?
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
My monitors consist of: ns10s, auratone 5c, and mackie hr 824. The 824s are for listening to music as well as some mixing. The key thing I like is that they are loud and sound great for playing music on. However for mixing they are meh. I need a set of speakers that not only is 1.loud 2. Sounds great 3. Can mix on. Will Adam a7x fit the criteria? How about jbl 4311?
The only thing I can tell you is, that once I treated my room, my 824s sounded way better than before. I had quite some interest in the Event 2030s, but now I am not as sure. I would try to get a pair on loan, and try them at your place, before making your ultimate choice. A lot of people probably are going to praise (even hype) the Adam. Monitors is a personal choice, and you have to make yours for your situation.

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear nut

If you can't mix on the Mackies, you probably can't on the Adams. Mackies aren't top of the line monitors but there decent enough too mix on. What the poster above me says could be very important as well...
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Osc1lfo
Maybe a track that is not complete does not sound quite as good compared to produced, mastered, complete tracks on the same speakers.

Don't listen to me though, I put away my near-field monitors for sounding too harsh, and I use an $80 set of Cambridge Soundworks gaming speakers with a sub. I know, it's pro audio blasphemy, but they sound great to me.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

I know loads of people who mix with the mackies. i think they're decent.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

a decade of some of the greatest edm songs and albums of all time were mixed on mackies , they were the weapon of choice and those tracks sound better than half the stuff produced now

you can mix on anything and the mackies are miles beyond the level of quality that would cause you any difficulties doing so
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Guru

8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

For some reason when I mix on mackies, I get 0 translation. When I use auratones and ns10s, I get perfect mixes. I was looking up focal 6be. Maybe ill get a set of those?
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Geariophile

Audition some PSI monitors.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for acid

8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Funnily I've had quested s7's and Mackie HR624's in my room but recently got a pair of Yamaha MSP5's off Ebay in mint condition for £137 and they piss all over the quested's and mackies for translation 'in my room'. Nothing against the other 2 but I've been quite shocked how well I've got on with them even at the low end of the spectrum.

I had an apogee ensemble with the s7's but now have a duet 2 with the mps5s and much prefer the new setup. I also got a set of the isoacosutics desktop stands and they work wonders.

Ben
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknosmoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Funnily I've had quested s7's and Mackie HR624's in my room but recently got a pair of Yamaha MSP5's off Ebay in mint condition for £137 and they piss all over the quested's and mackies for translation 'in my room'. Nothing against the other 2 but I've been quite shocked how well I've got on with them even at the low end of the spectrum.
Agreed. I've got a set of the MSP5's and for an inexpensive set of monitors, they translate pretty well for me too. I kinda' see them as the "poor man's NS10s". They're cheap, unflattering and they make you really work to get a good mix. Once you've got something sounding good on them, they sound good almost anywhere.

I've wanted to upgrade my Mackie HR824s for a long time, as I've had them for 15 yeas now. Unfortunately, at this time I cannot afford the caliber of monitor that I'd really like to replace them with (Barefoot, Adam S3A/X, etc.) as my primary set. To my ears, the low-mids on the Mackies (from about 250 - 400 Hz) are a bit muddy and the highs are a bit hyped. It took a while for me to get decent mixes out of them initially. Over the years, I learned of their deficiencies & learned how to compensate for them during mixing. Proper acoustic room treatment will change your mixes MUCH more than a new set of monitors. Once I got some good bass traps, strategically placed absorption panels and some diffusion behind me, it was as if I had a brand new set of much nicer monitors. At mixdown, I still A/B between the HR824s & the MSP5s though.

-T
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknosmoker View Post

To my ears, the low-mids on the Mackies (from about 250 - 400 Hz) are a bit muddy and the highs are a bit hyped. It took a while for me to get decent mixes out of them initially. Over the years, I learned of their deficiencies & learned how to compensate for them during mixing. Proper acoustic room treatment will change your mixes MUCH more than a new set of monitors.

-T
+1. The room is more important than the monitor.

But that said, the HR824s aren't great monitors, either. However they are very good sounding, perhaps too good.

I demoted mine to home theater duty over 10 years ago, a job they have excelled at.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear addict

Event 20/30s.They beat A7x in every way.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
+1. The room is more important than the monitor.
Err... I can't say that for myself. I have picky ears, and need to hear the sound as it really is, or I feel lost. Of course I tend to record all kinds of things, not just synths, so I need very honest monitors to know what frequencies need a touch of EQ or whatever.

You may be in the same boat, but you won't know unless you borrow some monitors. Speakers and headphones are a very personal thing, and obviously in this thread, people differ on what rocks them. But one thing they are right about is if your room is set up right for listening. Play a CD of stuff you like and are familiar with through your system. If it sounds off, I'd say your room does need tending to.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Go with focal CMS65. My friend has the mackies...I often bring mixes there to see how they sound because they sound so different than my Focals... and compared to my focals they are like 200 dollar JVC speakers from 1985.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

I forgot to kudo the Focals. The audiophile speakers are extremely musical, and I've heard nothing but good things about the monitors, so if you find the Mackies lacking, I'd say the Focal line would be a safe bet.
javd007
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Cms65 over the 6be?
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

If you can afford the Solo6 Be, I'd say they have to be worth the money. But from reviews I scrounged up on the CMS65, they replaced some pretty good monitors and are highly praised. Once again, it's always best to check stuff out, but after listening to the superb stereo speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any Focal monitors.
javd007
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

6bes are a bit much for me to spend now. I just bought a few pieces of expensive gear. The Mackies sound great and that's the problem I believe. However it is true they have been used for a decade in the EDM world. I am thinking of JBL 4312s.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
If you can't mix on the Mackies, you probably can't on the Adams. Mackies aren't top of the line monitors but there decent enough too mix on.
+100

and to add..

I always check any mix on my home hifi (yam a500, marantz cd, monitor audio bx5s) Then on a crappy old cd ghetto blaster, iphone and grado sr80is, the car stereo etc. Once a month i get an hour in a local nightclub to blast through the 80k turbo sound system.

That way you begin to understand how your work translates on a number of platforms and ensures you learn how your monitors translate onto the popular platforms that people WILL be listening to your music on. That is the point of monitoring really.

I hate listening to my ns10s, but they remain the grey bearded wise mentor , criticizing the mix with no friendly favor. They can sound rubbish, but i am pretty sold on the old saying, if you get it sounding nice on ns10s, it will more than adequate on most other stuff.

Grado /stax headphones maybe worth a look if it is nice hifi sound you are after. I have grados,krks,ns10s all rigged up to listen as and when i want. All controlled via knobs on the soundcard. Total cost =£500.

And +1000 on the room treatment.

13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Plunkett View Post
+100

and to add..

I always check any mix on my home hifi (yam a500, marantz cd, monitor audio bx5s) Then on a crappy old cd ghetto blaster, iphone and grado sr80is, the car stereo etc. Once a month i get an hour in a local nightclub to blast through the 80k turbo sound system.

That way you begin to understand how your work translates on a number of platforms and ensures you learn how your monitors translate onto the popular platforms that people WILL be listening to your music on. That is the point of monitoring really.

I hate listening to my ns10s, but they remain the grey bearded wise mentor , criticizing the mix with no friendly favor. They can sound rubbish, but i am pretty sold on the old saying, if you get it sounding nice on ns10s, it will more than adequate on most other stuff.

Grado /stax headphones maybe worth a look if it is nice hifi sound you are after. I have grados,krks,ns10s all rigged up to listen as and when i want. All controlled via knobs on the soundcard. Total cost =£500.

And +1000 on the room treatment.

Wait, you're not THAT Jim Plunkett are you?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
I need a set of speakers that not only is 1.loud 2. Sounds great 3. Can mix on.
Since you have aura tones and NS10's I would suggest Dynaudio BM6a or BM15a depending on the size of your room. Good old fashioned MOSFET amps, go really loud and sound really good (too good perhaps if they are your only set of monitors).

I used to have the BM6 passives. I found them a little recessed in the mids so upgraded. But with your other monitors you have the mids sorted! I actually wish I kept my Dynaudios for the living room.

When upgrading I listened to Adam A7, A77, PMC DB1, quested S6 and S7, Event 2030, Pelonis, and Neumann KH120's. I went for the Neumanns...but they aren't loud like the Dyns.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

Lowkey,why did you choose the Neumann's and what's your opinion about 20/30's?The Neumann's are your only set of speakers now?How you handle very-low frequencies like sub-basses?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

I upgraded from the BM6s because I was having problems with my mids. I bought the PMC DB1s and used them for a couple of years. The mids were more forward, but they had a weird lump around 100Hz and I could never get the bass right.

I didn't think much of the 2030's when I heard them...I used to own a pair of 2020's way back that I quite liked at the time (before I got the BM6s). Perhaps they weren't broken in as they were just new at the shop. They sounded compressed and boxy. Bass was less than I thought they would be.
The Neumanns sounded the most balanced to me. The bass is much more accurate than the PMC's but the mids are still clear...More revealing too. I don't monitor loudly but they can really move a bit of air for such small speakers. They are great for electronic stuff.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

But how do you handle low-freqs like 35 hz for example?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Sennheiser HD650's.
I've got an Adam Sub7, but I wouldn't really trust my room down that low...
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

I understand.You're such a lucky guy.I also have Sennheiser but they are HD280 pro.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

i second the treatened room argument !
the room-settings on the rear make sense now :D
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search