oymusic
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Late 80's synth brass sound

4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

pretty much any digital synth from the 1980s can do that, Yamaha DX line, Roland D50, etc. Its also pretty standard to find it on any Keyboard made since the early 90s as it is part of the General Midi spec where it is sound 62 and 63.

Some of which will sound better than others. Most of the songs you listed were done with a Roland D50 and or a Yamaha DX7, but then again most mid to late 80s were done with Yamaha DX7s or Roland D50s
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

some people sampled these sounds themselves...and others hired real brass session players and recorded the real thing during the production of the recordings.. "yes...that happened a lot in the 80's....Great samples of the real thing are the best,, but there was really no substitute for the real thing in the 80's.. That has somewhat changed lately, but not completely. Hey I just happen to be listening to an old Tower Of Power recording right now "Back To Oakland" some great brass sounds, and that's all real horns. You ain't getting that out of a DX or a D50. give that recording a listen....listen to the whole thing....you will see what I mean
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Guru

The synth brass in "Tell it to my heart" is different from the one in "Forever your girl" though, and may already be achieved with any (virtual) analog, but for "Forever your girl" I'd look at vintage sample libraries (Fairlight, E-mu Emulator).
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Gwen Stefani.."hollaback Girl' give that a listen.. some amazing brass sounds there.. i'm thinking that those are electronic...i might be wrong.. but whatever they are..outstanding...
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Guru

The sampled brass sound often has a slightly detuned attack portion which turns into a single constant waveform after that initial attack; that's a consequence of looping. This is not so easy on a modeling synth unless you have access to sufficient routing possibilities (an extra envelope besides VCA/VCF). Furthermore, the waveform has a decidedly non-analog quality to it - it's pretty shrill.

That typical octave brass ensemble is what leads me to believe that the "Forever your girl" brass is sampled; I'd even go as far as saying that it was probably composed on a single machine.

The "Wink" track shows a Kurzweil K250. While music clips are usually misleading (gear played is not gear heard), I wouldn't put it past it to be used in this case.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search