Where You Do Your Music Buying
New Reply
Subscribe
JES
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Where You Do Your Music Buying

This is slightly OT, but for those of you who still buy music and buy albums, where do you buy your stuff? I'm "an album guy" -- I never buy singles.

With the new iTunes setup, I find I'm more drawn to the store somehow, but I think the artist will get more money if I buy the CD and forgo the instant gratification. How does Boomkat do in comparison or other online retailers? Obviously, if it's an independent artist on bandcamp or something, it's a no-brainer.

This infographic gives me pause: Music Artists Online Earnings: How Much Do Musicians Earn In Digital Sales?

I'm posting here because I'm specifically asking about electronic music, though of course rock bands and jazz acts face the same issue.

Thoughts?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I buy almost exclusively from Boomkat these days. I love the music choices. Great shop. Only ever used iTunes once.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

I only buy physical media (primarily vinyl and cassettes) and I follow the artists I enjoy and their labels to find new music.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I usually go where the artist tells me to go, otherwise Google Play. I've gotten lots of good stuff on bandcamp.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

bleep.com
gogoyoko.com

Last edited by musden; 4th January 2013 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: editing
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
digital ears love analog

Juno Download (downloads) or Juno Records (vinyl) or local stores for used vinyl also Discogs.
Sampler: E-MU ESI-2000
fx: Filter Queen, Ibanez FL9, Rat 2,Boss PH-1R, Chorus, Wah, DigiTech MSP4, DL3 Delay, Alesis 3630
Daws: Reason 6.5, Cubase Studio 5
Software: Tracks 3, PPG Wave 2.V, Attack, D-Pole, Chipsounds, Synth Maker

http://rogue-ai.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/music-of-the-mind-of-the-soul
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Beatport, I have collected a long My beatport list of my fav artist and labels over the years.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Mostly Juno and Decks. Vinyl only, I have zero need for files.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post

This infographic gives me pause: Music Artists Online Earnings: How Much Do Musicians Earn In Digital Sales?

I'm posting here because I'm specifically asking about electronic music, though of course rock bands and jazz acts face the same issue.

Thoughts?
I honestly think the numbers on that chart are made up and I would not pay attention to them

for example where do they get the idea that it costs $4.34 to self press a CD? Depending on the packaging you are looking at between $1-$2 a piece unless you are doing very small runs, in which case why are doing very small runs if you are selling 268 CDs a month?

I just ordered 1,000 CDs in nice full color sleeves for less than $1 a piece for a band I recorded.

I also have a good friend that plays and sings folk rock on his guitar. I record lots of his shows for him with a very simple rig. He buys blank white plain label CDs cheap online then burns them at home with a bulk duplicator. Then he writes on them the title of the Album usually something like "live 1/4/2013" then signs his name and writes a number. He sells them in limited editions of 50-200 depending. Then he puts them into a plain cheapy paper sleeve. He then goes to the copy store and prints out a double sided flyer on colored paper with hand drawn graphics on one side and notes on the other. Then he folds them up a certain way and inserts the CD.

The above winds up looking very cool and well done and he sells them for $10 each at his shows or 3 for $20 his total cost per CD is less than 50 cents
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Ebay and Amazon for CDs, local record shops for vinyl.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

99% Spotify via a premium subscription. CD's are too bulky and last century ("when I was a kid, we used to buy music on little plastic discs"). Not going to buy downloads. Twice I've lost DRM-protected music that I "purchased", once from iTunes and then when Microsoft discontinued their music store (don't remember what it was called). With a per-month subscription only, I don't really loose anything if/when the service goes belly up.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Traxsource, Beatport, and Juno coz they offer wav/aiff downloads. I prefer full uncompressed files even though it costs more. If not, then i seek out the CD.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for acid

Electronic: Beatport
Mainstream: iTunes
Vinyl: discogs
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Local used music shops.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I only buy from the artist themselves, and only vinyl. I feel it's the only way to directly support the artist. Well that and merchandise, that helps too

I really feel it's the touring musician, that's best to buy from so they can have some money to eat/maybe stay at a decent hotel. electronic musicians do not need to rely on public performance, they can really have real jobs. But a touring musician, unless with some pop shit, there's not much money at all. And once there is money, might as well pirate the tracks
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

There is only one great place for new and old independent label music that offers digital and physical options for purchase.

They also let you preview each whole song in segments With a very clever software interface:

www.Bleep.com

Not everything but you are spoiled for choice if electronic and dance music are your things.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Discogs, Boomkat, local stores in Helsinki, distro friends. That's pretty much it. No digital (but it's nice that most new vinyl releases include download codes).
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
There is only one great place for new and old independent label music that offers digital and physical options for purchase.

They also let you preview each whole song in segments With a very clever software interface:

www.Bleep.com

Not everything but you are spoiled for choice if electronic and dance music are your things.
Totally agree. Recently I found there musician under the name "Memory tapes" (Dayve Hawk). What a great melody at the end of "Follow me" composition!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

I buy a mixture of vinyl and digital - always a bonus to get free digital with a vinyl purchase!

Boomkat
Bleep
Hardwax
Clone
RubaDub
RedEye
Interstellar Sounds
Discogs
Godspill
Bandcamp

Here's a link to my Bandcamp "fan" page http://bandcamp.com/alexross
I.P
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
I.P
Gear Head

Always searching Beatport first and the exclusives @ Juno, Trackitdown and whatpeopleplay.

making my lists and then buy everything that exist @ Audio Jelly (for just 1 us/uk/eur for WAV!!!) and the rest from any other store. no preference.

unfortunately no money for vinyl at this time of my life ;0
BUT IF!!! i always searching @ Juno first
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Music I buy is 99% digital. Usually from Bandcamp first.

Second is Amazon mp3 if I can't find the bands music on Bandcamp.

I rarely ever buy CD's, and sometimes buy vinyl if possible.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I honestly think the numbers on that chart are made up and I would not pay attention to them

for example where do they get the idea that it costs $4.34 to self press a CD? Depending on the packaging you are looking at between $1-$2 a piece unless you are doing very small runs, in which case why are doing very small runs if you are selling 268 CDs a month?

I just ordered 1,000 CDs in nice full color sleeves for less than $1 a piece for a band I recorded.

I also have a good friend that plays and sings folk rock on his guitar. I record lots of his shows for him with a very simple rig. He buys blank white plain label CDs cheap online then burns them at home with a bulk duplicator. Then he writes on them the title of the Album usually something like "live 1/4/2013" then signs his name and writes a number. He sells them in limited editions of 50-200 depending. Then he puts them into a plain cheapy paper sleeve. He then goes to the copy store and prints out a double sided flyer on colored paper with hand drawn graphics on one side and notes on the other. Then he folds them up a certain way and inserts the CD.

The above winds up looking very cool and well done and he sells them for $10 each at his shows or 3 for $20 his total cost per CD is less than 50 cents
I guess their self released example includes a cut for the stores that sell the cd, it's not an example of complete self distribution, you make more per cd if you sell the disc yourself.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I mainly buy CDs, so HMV, Amazon, Play, wherever.

For the odd song I wouldn't buy an album for, iTunes store.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

junodownload.com or direct from artist if possible
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Discogs
Phonica
Blackmarket
Juno
Chemical
Sister Ray
Idel Hands
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Vinyl from Juno. Sometimes Red Eye Records or directly from the label.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Digital music I buy as wavs or Flacs, mostly from Boomkat, Juno download and Bandcamp. I use Beatport very rarely as they sometimes have something interesting as an exclusive. Vinyl I buy from Boomkat, Juno or Rubadub which is still, in my opinion, the best record store in Britain and only rivaled by Hardwax. I keep meaning to get a Discogs account, but i spend enough on music as it is and I would probably have to live in a box if I was going to start buying from there too.

@MegaTech: some nice stuff there on your Bandcamp page. Did you get your 30% off voucher from Semantica too? I got a couple of things but should probably get some more to get full use out of it.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Digital music I buy as wavs or Flacs, mostly from Boomkat, Juno download and Bandcamp. I use Beatport very rarely as they sometimes have something interesting as an exclusive. Vinyl I buy from Boomkat, Juno or Rubadub which is still, in my opinion, the best record store in Britain and only rivaled by Hardwax. I keep meaning to get a Discogs account, but i spend enough on music as it is and I would probably have to live in a box if I was going to start buying from there too.

@MegaTech: some nice stuff there on your Bandcamp page. Did you get your 30% off voucher from Semantica too? I got a couple of things but should probably get some more to get full use out of it.
Yeah my latest splurge was assisted by the discount!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

eBay
Amazon
iTunes
Bandcamp
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

discogs & local independant record store (sound it out records)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search