XFER Cthulhu VST
New Reply
Subscribe
Mononym
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

XFER Cthulhu VST

This was released yesterday....im thinking of buying it.

Cthulhu | Xfer Records

Quote:
Cthulhu
The Chord and Arp Monster
VST MIDI-FX Plug-In

Harmonic Inspiration, Made Easy.

Cthulhu is two MIDI FX modules combined into one plug-in:

Chords Module - One Note Becomes Many

Cthulhu is firstly a chord memorizer and player, allowing you to experiment with creating and reworking chord progressions with single-note presses.
Included are over 150 factory chord presets allowing for a near-unlimited amount of possible musical-sounding chord progressions.
Import MIDI or 'record' chords straight in, Cthulhu is able to analyze the chords you play and allow for various sorting options (Circle of 5ths, Chromatic, low note, etc) allowing for easy access over your chords!

Arp Module - Transform your chords in new ways.

The other half of Cthulhu is a unique pattern-based arpeggiator, allowing incoming notes or chords to be manipulated in various rhythmic ways. The 8 tabs of the stepsequencer allow you to completely reshape the incoming MIDI notes, even a single note fed into the arp can become a unique and rhythmic riff! Even if you have other arpeggio software plug-ins, Cthulhu's arp is unique and powerful with advanced features such as chord-arpeggio mode, ties, duration / velocity sequencing, intelligent transpose, harmony, and more! Every tab of the sequencer can operate on its own length, allowing for evolving polymetric arpeggios. From simple to complex, from chaotic to creating precise arpeggio you imagine in your head!

$39.00

I wonder if this is the "help" Deadmau5 had over the years with his awesome chord progressions, etc.

Techno

https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/birchbrook-11-25-13v4
https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/darky-vox-and-drum
https://soundcloud.com/dj-dimi-h/ohyeah-6-14-2013-comp

"I never try to please others when I make music; there is only one person who has to like what comes out of those speakers, and that person is myself." -Eric Prydz
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Soon lord cthulu himself will rise from the seas and play all music all the time.

Last edited by Reptil; 4th January 2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: slightly less gore - sorry it's a VST not a demon worship ;-)
Mononym
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Besides the point....

What do you guys think of the plugin?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

I bought it... Havent gotten too much into it... The presets don't exactly make it feel practical to me... Will mess some more tomorrow.
Mononym
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itege View Post
I bought it... Havent gotten too much into it... The presets don't exactly make it feel practical to me... Will mess some more tomorrow.
Same. Steve tweeted he was going to upload a video in the next few days.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononym View Post
I wonder if this is the "help" Deadmau5 had over the years with his awesome chord progressions, etc.
You know that even FL Studio has a drop-down menu that will draw the chords for you, right?

edit: what I'm saying is that these progressions are only awesome if you know jack shit about theory

edit2: $39 is a steal and less effort than building this in Max 4 Live
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

i just have a feeling there is a lot more too it. like LFO Tool and Nerve there are always multiple purposes to his software.

I cant wait for his video to come out.

im going to mess around with it more tomorrow.

and the ARP is pretty sweet too.
Mononym
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Steve even said this was Deadmau5s secret weapon

8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

^^ When I heard him say that I was like... lool
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear maniac

To me, that just sounded like he was using it to reharmonize his chords, Idk.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Steve makes some unique, deep pluggys, i'm sure this will be no different.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Guru

Bought it.

I was digging into a really old images folder, and I found this mockup I came up with in around 2008.

Back then this was based on the (then newly released) Korg M3's "Karma" function where the 8 pads can contain 8 chords as well - I really liked the concept of shuffling them around at will.

If this wouldn't have come by I would've built it in Max4Live or something. Heck, there's probably already a Max4Live device that does exactly this, but I'll have to wait for Live 9 to be released. So - it's nice that it's finally released in a form that's very much like what I envisioned in the mockup!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Is it a bit the same like the Cubase 7 chord stuff?
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Guru

Not really. Cubase suggests, Cthulhu only lists presets. Cubase can drag entire tracks with it, Cthulhu sends out MIDI only.
Mononym
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

yeah its pretty fun to play with and find a good chord to start with and then just start going from there.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

There goes the neighborhood.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Guru

More people using more imaginative chords = always a good thing.
Mononym
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

They way I see it is this really helps the people who can think of what they want or be able to just have fun with chords until something happens without have to be trained on a piano and know 1000s of chords. I know, I know people are going to hate that...But I just enjoy clicking the mouse and banging away on my midi controller.

some of the "greatest" tracks were made from just ****ing around with gear, im sure people here just **** around on gear until they get a sound they like. playing around with chords progressions is no different IMO. it still has to sound good.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW, EZKeys by Toontrack is a nice plugin for messing around with both chords and different ways to play chords without actually playing keyboards or even needing a keyboard. It has a whole library (with more expansion packs available) of midi files that are very easy to modify or you can start from scratch or import midi into it.

Then it is very easy to change keys, transpose, move up and down octaves, or using a circle of 5ths create your own chord progressions. Its also a pretty decent Piano VST but since you can export the midi or drag and drop it in your DAW you can use it to play any other synth or vst instrument
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear interested

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 12.24.12 AM.png
Views: 10512
Size:  52.0 KB

(tee hee)
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
FWIW, EZKeys by Toontrack is a nice plugin for messing around with both chords and different ways to play chords without actually playing keyboards or even needing a keyboard. It has a whole library (with more expansion packs available) of midi files that are very easy to modify or you can start from scratch or import midi into it.

Then it is very easy to change keys, transpose, move up and down octaves, or using a circle of 5ths create your own chord progressions. Its also a pretty decent Piano VST but since you can export the midi or drag and drop it in your DAW you can use it to play any other synth or vst instrument
EZKeys is just amazing. Chords and chord progressions made easy peasy and you learn along the way too. The piano is beautiful and professionally sampled, you can't go wrong.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Its like the old generation made the gear. Our generation made the software to make it easier.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Made my own a long time ago! Figured more did the same. I wish I would of thought to hire a programmer and make money off of it!! lulz Sweet plugin nonetheless!
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You know that even FL Studio has a drop-down menu that will draw the chords for you, right?

edit: what I'm saying is that these progressions are only awesome if you know jack shit about theory

edit2: $39 is a steal and less effort than building this in Max 4 Live
Not really, if you know what sounds good, you know what sounds good, you don't need to know what it means.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mononym View Post
i just have a feeling there is a lot more too it. like LFO Tool and Nerve there are always multiple purposes to his software.
Yep. From KVR:

Quote:
Here's a fun trick for people into sampling...load up your samples into a sampler mapped up the keyboard. Then jam with them finding good combinations. Find one you like? Hit "learn" and play the chord. Do that for as long as you want, building up sections and variations. Now you've got each of these sections and variations playable from a single key! It makes it really really really easy to compose new sections and mess with different arrangements. You can also do cool stuff with breaks...load a break into the sampler and duplicate it a bunch of times but with the first hit removed each time, so they all play to the end. Now with the cthulhu arp module you can do really cool break edits. And maybe you create variations of the sound and map them octaves above the main sounds, and then use the octave offset to play those different variations of the sound at a particular point. And lots and lots of other possibilities...when I first saw this I thought that I'd be listening to tons of bach-inspired dance music over the next year (probably not such a bad thing really ) but there is more to it than "just" playing chords. It's essentially a powerful step sequencer and midi phrase sampler. Create all the midi sequences you want and they become available on a single key, ready for you to arrange your song. I'm going to experiment with it for live performance too...because again I can load all my samples up into samplers, all the MIDI phrases into cthulhu, and map them across my keyboard. One cthulhu + sampler combo per song. Can you imagine that for live mixing? The entire song, with all the combinations you can think of, laid out across one keyboard, all MIDI tempo-synced. Maybe something like this exists already that I don't know about, but man, I find this to be really really really exciting. And at $40 it's a f**king steal. That guy's crazy.
Mononym
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

yeah I already did that.

loaded a bunch of random samples in a kit and routed Cthulhu and got some crazy stuff.
Mononym
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

this plugin is just endless fun....I cant get anything done because i just sit and mess around with everything.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search