New Reply
Subscribe
draven5
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thinking of selling my Moog Prodigy for a Moog Little Phatty

I like the Prodigy but for the money seems like I'll get more out of the Moog Slim Phatty. I'm all one for vintage analog sound but how different is the sound really from a Moog Prodigy to Slim Phatty. Also the features the Slim Phatty seems worth it.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

That's a really tough call. If you haven't already, maybe you should check out Keyboard Wizard's Rogue vs LP comparison on YouTube. In terms of tone you might really miss the Prodigy. But then you might be more inspired musically by the possibilities of the Phatty (not to mention ease of use).

I've got an LP which I like very much, but it doesn't have the vibe of the old Moogs. The closest comparable vintage synth I have is a Promars and the sound of that thing makes my Phatty feel transparent and distant.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Vintage Synth Dealer

i agree with maisonvague, you may really miss the prodigys sound. the newer moogs just dont sound as good to me as the vintage ones.
mini
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- http://www.123synthland.com (redirects)
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

i have a prodigy and i would never ever sell it.
i am gonna buy a kenton midi converter
you should keep it and save up for the phatty
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

Most definitely keep the Prodigy if sound is most important.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Don't do it!
The new moog sound is sterile
draven5
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled_volts View Post
i have a prodigy and i would never ever sell it.
i am gonna buy a kenton midi converter
you should keep it and save up for the phatty
Thanks for all the input guys!

I went to youtube today and watched a ton of demos. Of course I did what we all should do which is to go test it out in person so I went to Guitar Center and played around with it for a half hour or so.

Earlier today too I pulled out the Prodigy and played with that.

They definitely both sound very different. I like the sound of both of them though. (of course that's the gearslut in me talking)

I had a 12 % off coupon so I decided to buy the slim phatty tonight and keep the Prodigy. Now I'm in Moog heaven. Pardon the punn Bob Moog.

Seriously though, thanks guys! I knew I could find some good advice here!

By the way I have the MG-1 too and damn I like the gearslutz threesome this is!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I used to have the Prodigy, among other Moogs (Liberation, Rogue, MG-1, Taurus).
The Prodigy was the first one I bought and the last one I sold.
I sold it to buy a Little Phatty.
Never looked back.
I happen to like that smooth sound. And (in my opinion) it is much more playable (velocity, interface, octave range etc.).

If you keep your Prodigy: You might want to search for mods to improve its versatila...versitali...versalita... er, musical options.
I added an octave switch and a mod to pitch notes while in sync mode.

Cheers,
Bert
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

There was a thread about Prodigy vs Little Phatty some years ago, and most people were all for the Little Phatty, which was more expensive by then:

Moog Prodigy or Moog Little Phatty

Funny how perceptions change in just a few years as now most people seem to be more into the Prodigy...
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I was considering a moog source, but the little phatty looks highly useable, they'll all sound good I bet :D

Music at http://www.soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

However good the Prodigy is, I'd never describe the LP's sound as "sterile." It can sound funny and moogy but it can be made rough as guts too, and unstable as you please. The routing options allow you to get human formant and screaming effects via modulation. Nothing could be further from sterile IMO...
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

It is consistently very deep towards the mid-low end, which makes it sound fat compared with a more "nasal" sort of synth.... I reckon this preference in the design causes some people to think the modern moogs are too "vanilla," but believe me, over time this facility becomes inimitable... you can't get the same thing out of most software and any other analogue I've ever tried... it's less "raw" with more "heart." It makes it sound very strong. Not for everyone... maybe another colour for the palette.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

yeah if i had to pick one id go with the prodigy just based on sound. i have a rogue and a slim phatty and i pretty much always use the rogue
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

the prodigy is probably the vintage moog that sounds the closest to the phatty, not identical but very close on many sounds. i hesitated a bit in between these two when i was looking for a budget moog and ended up picking the phatty because midi, patch storage, reliability & the arpeggiator (probably my favorite feature) trumped the only benefit of the prodigy, a slightly more vintage tone. i now got the budget for a bigger moog and will be going the same route for the same reasons (ie voyager)
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well, it looks like the OP made the most sensible decision which is to have both!

Anyway, just to weigh back in, I really do like my Phatty. It may not be as "beefy" or "vibey" as some of my vintage synths, but it's so much easier to work with. In many ways it's the perfect monosynth -- the one I've always wanted to have. I do find the sound slightly sterile, however -- but nothing a bit of outboard processing can't cure. When I look at the big picture, it's a winner. And a keeper.

Love the Phatty!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

I have never owned a Moog, but my best friend in the 90s owned a Source, and I am a fan of that classic progressive synth style. I am not sure what the differences are between the LP and the Prodigy but I saw a youtube video in which the Prodigy had a creamy portamento lead that I have not yet heard demonstrated on the LP. if you do change your mind about your Prodigy, I might be interested . In the meanwhile, if anyone knows any of the key differences between the two I would be grateful. I have been following this forum for a few years but this is the first time I actually decided to sign up and try a post =)! Is is true that the Prodigy is the only other Moog to have a certain filter in common with the Minimoog, and if so, which filter is it? I am also a fan of that classic ARP sound, which is similar, but ARPs seem to generally be more creamy and polyphonic than Moogs. Thanks & nice to meet everyone! :D
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Guru

My Studio

According to respected authority, the Source is the closest to a Mini - and it's not so much the filter but also the amplifier stage which plays a role in the sound.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

The prodigy has the sickest sync sound out of any synth ever made (while some would argue the arp odyssey vs. it, the prodigy's is so unique, and leagues beyond any other moog's.) That's always something to consider between the prodigy and LP, and hasn't been mentioned yet.
Synths: Arp 2600, OBX, Matrix 12, Rhodes Chroma, Prophet 5 R2, Minimoog D, Serge, Tereshkova, CwejmanS1Mk2, Jupiter 4, Syncussion, Tempest, MonoPoly, Burnkit606, FR777, Prophet600, SX240, MKS70, Moog Prodigy, TX816, MS20mini, MS2000, Ion
FX: Eventide H7600/Space/Timefactor, Culture Vulture, Ebbe & Flut, BiPhase, RE-201, TC Fireworx, MOOGERFOOGERS, SE-70 x2
Dyn/Pres: UA 4-710d, BL Auteur, Overstayer VCA/FET/ID4, dbx160XT x2
A/D: D&R Orion X, Apollo Quad, 2x UAD-2 Quad PCIe's
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
The prodigy has the sickest sync sound out of any synth ever made (while some would argue the arp odyssey vs. it, the prodigy's is so unique, and leagues beyond any other moog's.) That's always something to consider between the prodigy and LP, and hasn't been mentioned yet.
Hi Septik,

That's very interesting about the sync sound! Are there any other features that you would site for the Prodigy's uniqueness and reasons why it is "leagues ahead" of the other Moogs? I know that for many that the Minimoog, short of a modular, and that the Minimoog is a 3 oscillator synthesizer. But I could tell the with only 2 oscillators that the Prodigy seemed to have some great sounds that I did not hear on any of the youtube demos I listened to that showcased the Rogue, and some of models that came after the Minimoog. I agree that the Source is amazing. But I believe I would be easily frustrated by its interface, the number of patches, and the reliability of the touch pads. Also, my friend's source was a bear to keep in tune, especially after it heated up during a gig. I recall once or twice when he spent nearly 20 minutes after the gig supposedly had started trying to get his Source in tune or loaded with the correct patch. Besides, dials and knobs seem much more classic and fun to play with! I think I can understand them better intuitively! Thanks for your response!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Septik - I just noticed that you have an ARP =D!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmaurice View Post
Hi Septik,

That's very interesting about the sync sound! Are there any other features that you would site for the Prodigy's uniqueness and reasons why it is "leagues ahead" of the other Moogs? I know that for many that the Minimoog, short of a modular, and that the Minimoog is a 3 oscillator synthesizer. But I could tell the with only 2 oscillators that the Prodigy seemed to have some great sounds that I did not hear on any of the youtube demos I listened to that showcased the Rogue, and some of models that came after the Minimoog. I agree that the Source is amazing. But I believe I would be easily frustrated by its interface, the number of patches, and the reliability of the touch pads. Also, my friend's source was a bear to keep in tune, especially after it heated up during a gig. I recall once or twice when he spent nearly 20 minutes after the gig supposedly had started trying to get his Source in tune or loaded with the correct patch. Besides, dials and knobs seem much more classic and fun to play with! I think I can understand them better intuitively! Thanks for your response!
The sync is the only thing that the prodigy is truly remarkable for above other synths in higher price ranges. If you like its tone apart from that, then great! It isn't extremely diverse and doesn't have many modulation capabilities, but that sync is incredible, and it does have a nice tone to it as well, but that's just my opinion Of course minimoog excels in many areas.. I'm not saying that the Prodigy is leagues ahead of it at all, but its sync sound sure is

Sources are great too. More diverse, and a great little synth. There are quite a few mono synths in the price range that would come before a source though. I got my prodigy (later version with CV/Gate) all beat up for $400 and replaced a few keys + fixed some faulty tuning issues and filthy contacts. Plays perfectly now, and didn't cost me anything to fix. Not sure what the average price is for these now, but I'm not sure that it would be my first pick in its top $ price range. just my .02

I'm also a die-hard Liam Howlett fan, and it was my first analog synth.. If it wasn't for this fact, selling it to make room for an MS20 has crossed my mind many times.. Don't tell the moog :(
draven5
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Like I mentioned earlier I own a Prodigy and a MG-1. And I was surprised at how many sounds you can get out of the MG-1. It lacks a proper filter envelope but makes up in the sonic possibility range.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I like the Prodigy but for the money seems like I'll get more out of the Moog Slim Phatty. I'm all one for vintage analog sound but how different is the sound really from a Moog Prodigy to Slim Phatty. Also the features the Slim Phatty seems worth it.
dont do it.. the phatty is a crap synth in relation and in 5 years time you get it for 300 while the prodidgy will be 2000
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
..selling it to make room for an MS20 has crossed my mind many times.. Don't tell the moog :(
I was under the impression from researching vintage synth archives that an ARP 2600 is basically the bigger original to the MS20... I have never had one so I am going on what I have read. In actuality, I am really new to analog synth - which makes it all the more exciting!!! :D As far as keyboards go, I have only owned this Radeon 61 key MIDI controller to use with software vst/rtas, like ewql, and back in the 80s and early 90s I had a Roland S-10 Sampler and a Korg Sound module that I used for composition and to perform solo gigs with. Since one of those was a sampler, and the other was PCM based, I never had the privilege of experimenting with raw synth! I am really quite excited! I must admit, however, that I am a little dazzled by Moog's Animoog - just because the sounds you get from that thing are great for pads and creamy lead tones. But the lead tones head to head with a real analog synth just don't stack up from what I have heard. Still, the Animoog really the best digital synth I have heard in comparison to synths that try to sound Moog-ish. There is a Prodigy on ebay right now for almost as much as an LP - but it is a fixer upper. I also need a better controller, like and 88 key hammer weighted. I suppose that's why I also got interested in Animoog :D - I could have the controller, and iPad, a MIDI adapter, and Animoog for probably less than the Moog itself :(. But it just feels like one of those things that you know you will regret!!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
I was under the impression from researching vintage synth archives that an ARP 2600 is basically the bigger original to the MS20... I have never had one so I am going on what I have read. In actuality, I am really new to analog synth - which makes it all the more exciting!!! :D As far as keyboards go, I have only owned this Radeon 61 key MIDI controller to use with software vst/rtas, like ewql, and back in the 80s and early 90s I had a Roland S-10 Sampler and a Korg Sound module that I used for composition and to perform solo gigs with. Since one of those was a sampler, and the other was PCM based, I never had the privilege of experimenting with raw synth! I am really quite excited! I must admit, however, that I am a little dazzled by Moog's Animoog - just because the sounds you get from that thing are great for pads and creamy lead tones. But the lead tones head to head with a real analog synth just don't stack up from what I have heard. Still, the Animoog really the best digital synth I have heard in comparison to synths that try to sound Moog-ish. There is a Prodigy on ebay right now for almost as much as an LP - but it is a fixer upper. I also need a better controller, like and 88 key hammer weighted. I suppose that's why I also got interested in Animoog :D - I could have the controller, and iPad, a MIDI adapter, and Animoog for probably less than the Moog itself :(. But it just feels like one of those things that you know you will regret!!
Welcome to the world of analog synthesizers It's a long a sweet road. And though people do say that about ms20 and 2600 some places on the internet, there is really no relation between them in terms of sound, functionality, or modulation capabilities.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
I LOVE the Moog MG1!

Would kill for another one.

alexP
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Septik - Thank you for the heart-felt welcome! :D

Draven: re: MG-1s what are their outstanding features? Do you have any links? Thanks!

MM
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Draven: I just listened to the MG-1 and although it has a lot of Moog functionality, I can't hear the tone in it in my own opinion. Basically, I would not end up playing it for all of its similarities. But that is not to say that it isn't Moog in spirit, but as another poster said earlier, it is sort of the difference between an LP and a Prodigy as far as the what is going to hold more value, both in terms of money and in terms of desirability. This is just what I hear, and of course I am new to this forum and it is only my opinion - and I appreciate your input ! Thank you =)

BTW, Draven: how do you like your new LP so far? What do you like best about it?
draven5
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Draven: I just listened to the MG-1 and although it has a lot of Moog functionality, I can't hear the tone in it in my own opinion. Basically, I would not end up playing it for all of its similarities. But that is not to say that it isn't Moog in spirit, but as another poster said earlier, it is sort of the difference between an LP and a Prodigy as far as the what is going to hold more value, both in terms of money and in terms of desirability. This is just what I hear, and of course I am new to this forum and it is only my opinion - and I appreciate your input ! Thank you =)

BTW, Draven: how do you like your new LP so far? What do you like best about it?
Ordered it last week and it is shipping to Guitar Center and should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I did play around with it in the store when I tested it and I put it through the test, creating patches and doing the kinds of things I usually use it for (sound design, ambiance, industrial, experimental, creating hellish audioscapes, type of stuff I like to do). I already know after testing it out how different it is. Pretty different but I still like it. The way I see it, it's the "modern Moog" sound. I made sure that I was ok with the physical layout of the knobs to the point it didn't hinder my workflow.. and it didn't. I thought it was very fast and well laid out.

The MG-1 can sound like a classic Moog too but not sure what demo you saw or heard. It can sound completely different than a Moog too. That's what's neat about it.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear interested

Cool! I have been playing with the idea of Animoog, but then I thought, if I could get a classic analog sound from a real Moog, say a Prodigy or something, then I could use CamelPhat for the more ambient synth and pad-like stuff for creating soundscapes because the lack of definition of software synths are less noticeable than for lead and melody lines where you really need them to stand out and cut through the mix. I am still trying to figure out how I can afford to get a Moog and an 88 key controller lol! But it did occur to me that one cool thing I could look into is using an aural exciter on a software synth to see if it adds any analog punch back into the mix. The only thing is that I am not really sure if that will work. From what I understand, and exciter boosts certain frequencies by producing overtones to the fundamental tone, which, as opposed to widening the tone, makes the tone more pronounced while still adding harmonic character to the overtone timbres. That is probably one reason that I love that chiming Matchless amp (classic vox) sound for guitar - the 'warmth" is more a function of added harmonics in the upper sound spectrum when compared to other amps, and we all know that you can pack much more information into a higher frequencies than in lower ones - so it makes sense to add more to the overtones to get a sound with quality warmth. But what concerns me is that it is really the fundamental tone, and the clarity of the tones built via analog off of that tone that just can't be reproduced digitally. We might be able to trick the ear at certain sampling resolutions, and when a recording is digitally mastered, it still will lose something of the original sound, but the basic formula for loss of analog to digital conversion is basically 2:1 from what I understand, so that if you master at DVD quality (48khz w/ ? bit depth?) that you will want the original recording to have a 96khz resolution at a corresponding bit depth. So, per my calculations, although a VST plug on the DAW would theoretically not lose any resolution, running Animoog on an iPad @ 48khz/24 bit resolution and then digitally converting it to the DAW would result in a drop of 1/2 in sound quality (24khz) and then by the time you master that would be halved again (12khz). Maybe I have the mastering all wrong - lol! But I like my original idea of using VST pads in conjunction with a real Moog.

I am curious though as to whether the LP can do that thing like the Prodigy where you can input a signal from an external source and run filters and envelopes on it? I was thinking, after watching the MoogerFooger video of how cool that could be with my electric slide =)!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search