New Reply
Subscribe
Rufuss Sewell
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Arturia... make this!

Minibrute 2.0

Basically like the Minibrute but with every aspect controllable by midi. Maybe a few bucks more.

Then! Make a plug in model of the minibrute but with infinite polyphony and endless instances, insane automation etc. You know, all the things that plug ins have but are impossible with an affordable monosynth.

Then! Here's the kicker!

A bounce option that then runs each note back through the real Minibrute and captures every note, preset change, automation... and recreates the polyphonic sound with all of the analog juiciness!

Who's in?

I'd be all over that. And with Arturia's expertise in VIs and now real analogs they'd be the perfect company to pull it off.
Rack: UA Apollo, Rosetta 800, UA 1176, UA 610, RE-301, ISA828, CL 7602 x2.
System: 15" rMBP, Logic X, PT 11, ADAM S2.5A
Most beloved plug ins: Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, NI, Diva, Goldbaby samples, Toontrack.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I'd settle for a desktop/rack version of the Minibrute. Don't need a 2 octave keyboard.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I doubt something like that would be "a few bucks more".

As far as I know, the Minibrute does not have patch memory, which probably means all parameters are purely analog and not digitally encoded at any point. Adding MIDI control would require "digitalizing" all parameters, and that would be expensive.

On the other hand, if the plugin that models the Minibrute is not accurate enough, there may be significant differences between the sound you hear with the plugin and the "rendered" sound you record with the real Minibrute, and this may lead to many headaches.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just pointing out the possible disadvantages.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

For over a decade I've thought about an analog monosynth with a well-integrated built in multi-sampler (and quality AD/DA converters) to allow for quick multisampling of the monosynth for pseudo-polyphonic tasks and also for percussive sounds.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Your on the right track.. but off still a ways... here's what they need to do -

**** the Minibrute!!!

Give us teh Megabrute!!!

3 OSC + Sub OSC, 2 Filter, 4 LFO, 3 ENV, 61 Keys, Brute Factor, Metalizer on Tri + Sine, and 2 Mod wheels.

$1500
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I fully expect them to make a 4-8 voice poly synth sometime in the next 12-18 months with 61 keys
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post

3 OSC + Sub OSC, 2 Filter, 4 LFO, 3 ENV, 61 Keys, Brute Factor, Metalizer on Tri + Sine, and 2 Mod wheels.

$1500
this is what i see as being more likely, and something i would totally spring for, since im in love with my minibrute.

i wouldn't want it to do any of the other stuff. it's not it's style
Rufuss Sewell
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah yeah. The same as a thousand other synths.

Imaging composing on an airplane or coffee shop on your laptop. Then coming back to the studio and rendering all 100 tracks with your $800 monosynth.

It's the perfect job for Arturia being mostly an analog modeling company.

It is the pure definition of the best of both worlds.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Leave the minibrute as it is!! It's just perfect.

Just expand it a rack version so we can use the MB + the rack together like 2 osc, 2 lfo, etc.

For 200 bucks. WIN.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Eh... Right now I'd be happy if Arturia just gave us the Minibrute. Over here it's still urban legend....
ozy
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Adding MIDI control would require "digitalizing" all parameters, and that would be expensive.
This is why the OP is correct, and his request is legitimate.

If Arturia added digital scanning of the pots,

we could have at least 350 threads bitching about how they "hybridized" the Minibrute, "spoiling it beyond repair", and how "it's become nothing more than a glorified mophokey",

the price of minibrute 1 would soar,

internet traffic would increase,

infrastructure investments would be needed,

everybody would get a job,

they would have more money,

and they would buy more synthesizers.

Everybody is happy.
WDM
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
I doubt something like that would be "a few bucks more".

As far as I know, the Minibrute does not have patch memory, which probably means all parameters are purely analog and not digitally encoded at any point. Adding MIDI control would require "digitalizing" all parameters, and that would be expensive...
That's a $100 more. The Moog Minitaur is a perfect example. Digitalizing is cheap these days.

I have no idea what's inside of Minibrute, but it's quite possible that something like that is there already ("built-in but hidden"). We'll just have to wait and see what kind of new developments/updates Arturia is after.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM View Post
That's a $100 more. The Moog Minitaur is a perfect example.
Minitaur has software mod sources and mod amount, patch storage is veeeeery easy, so it's not just about pot scan (that's easy part). OTOH, Minibrute is very 70s tech (it's all hardware and analog except main LFO and arp/seq). Patch storage for MB would mean redesign of whole synth.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Why would someone explicitly request a VSTi version of an already fine monosynth?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Matrix Modulator

Polychain capability has been thrown out there as a possible firmware update; does anyone know if this is still likely?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Imaging composing on an airplane or coffee shop on your laptop. Then coming back to the studio and rendering all 100 tracks with your $800 monosynth.
Only to find out they don't sound the same and you have to spend umpteen hours remixing everything.

I think if Aurturia could have made a perfectly analog sounding VCO synth in software form, they would have done so.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
A bounce option that then runs each note back through the real Minibrute and captures every note, preset change, automation... and recreates the polyphonic sound with all of the analog juiciness!
Is it going to play each note of a chord to a separate track? It can only do it one note at a time This would take days, or even weeks maybe, for a really complex track.

I think I can see where you're wanting to go, I just don't think it's ultimately very feasible. Also, you can already sequence the Minibrute via MIDI/USB, so you can do everything you want, it just won't be automatic and you'll have to do the poly parts one track at a time, like old school. Honestly I think the slight variances in automation changes on each note would add something special.

Lazy bum
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear maniac

MiniBrute is a successful product, even with the limited availability during the last year because of some factory issues and the huge demand. Next thing will be something not so "mini".... i guess...
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
Minitaur has software mod sources and mod amount, patch storage is veeeeery easy, so it's not just about pot scan (that's easy part). OTOH, Minibrute is very 70s tech (it's all hardware and analog except main LFO and arp/seq). Patch storage for MB would mean redesign of whole synth.
Once again, it's just a speculation on my part, but I doubt that Arturia implemented USB/MIDI connectivity, firmware updates and software editor (multi-platform) just to update LFO/Arpeggiator and edit few global parameters from the computer? That seems like serious wasting of resources.

Also, the manual says that minibrute can be used as a sound module through MIDI. That means inside of minibrute we need to convert MIDI notes to CV. I bet a pitch bend should work through MIDI as well. So, a digital "brain" is definitely there. The question is, how its connected to VCO, VCF and VCA. That would determine what's possible and what's not.

That reminds me the "monotribe" story. Someone needs to open the hood and discover hidden MIDI implementation. Except this time all connectors are already on the back panel.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM View Post
Once again, it's just a speculation on my part, but I doubt that Arturia implemented USB/MIDI connectivity, firmware updates and software editor (multi-platform) just to update LFO/Arpeggiator and edit few global parameters from the computer? That seems like serious wasting of resources.
that's waste of $3 microcontroller (and they have to have one anyway even without MIDI/USB/LFO for keyboard scan).
You can buy from Kenton MIDI retrofit for SH101 but nobody sells patch saving retrofits, right?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I think a major part of the charm/draw with the Minibrute is that it only costs $500. Which is unheard of in the marketplace.

Sure it's limited in what it can do, but you can live with it because it only costs $500. If they added more to it it would cost more and then it would be a choice between the DSI Mopho and the Minibrute and if you are going to drop $700 or $800 why not drop a bit more and get a Moog Little Phatty? Or even start to look at the classic used synth market. All of sudden it is not the run away hit it once was.

I think that in 2012/2013 that $500 is the magic line in the sand between what is an impulse buy for a synth -vs- a more researched informed buy. There were a lot of people out there that wanted to play around with an all analog mono synth they just did not want to spend $700 to buy a Mopho, but they would spend $500 on a minibrute and so they did.

I wonder however once all the backlog gets worked out and all the major stores and websites have real inventory in stock, and everyone who really wants a minibrute has one, where they market will be say in 6-12 months from now? If you already have a analog monophonic synth are you going to buy another one from Arturia with limited features for $500? Are you going to spend more for something more advanced? If so what would make you do so over say a Mopho or Little Phatty?

I am also willing to bet that in 6-12 months there will be a ton of used minibrutes on Ebay as many people who bought one will get bored with it and want to sell it.

That's why I think that Arturia or some other company should make and build a 6 voice analog Polysynth for $1000. For $1000 it would not need patch memory all you would need is Midi i/o. I also think to save costs you could do away with CV inputs and outputs as well if needed. I think there would be another huge market for such a beast out there
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I would be in for a rack version with full midi CC#'s for all parameters and with a plug in to control the unit like the ReKon editors or what Moog developed for the Minotaur . I have said this before , but too many desktops makes it difficult to use in a studio , It causes too much clutter .
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

I've said it before, but I'd like to see Arturia go back to the well of modular eccentricity and come up with a completely new product. Maybe do something leftfield, like if Buchla tried to do a Roland style xOx machine, for example.

I suppose if you wanted to extrapolate from previous behaviour and success - the metallic tone of the Minibrute somewhat reflects the sound of dubstep (I'm not the only one who finds it sounds oddly like Massive) - so maybe they should do an analog formant monosynth, that suits the current dubstep/komplextro sound.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for acid

Just make a 4-5 octave, 6 voice polybrute and be done with it. Exactly the same voice structure and controls, montimbral. Like a modern day Juno.

Another thing I believe in is repetition.
"Repetition is a form of change" - Oblique Strategies
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Head

Desktop version would be nice.

Could give a poop about controlling the parameters via midi, and I know that to implement something like that, would raise the price significantly. There's the Virus Ti and other hardware synths if automating stuff is your deal.

Cheap it cheap. Keep it simple. Keep it quality.
messiaen
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
messiaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Just make a 4-5 octave, 6 voice polybrute and be done with it. Exactly the same voice structure and controls, montimbral. Like a modern day Juno.
yep, i wuld buy it, and also buy an old juno as the price of these would also come down, a win=win!!!!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I really only need midi in so Incan aw daw as a sequencer...the rest I could care less about. I am also for the polybrute that has the same architecture...perhaps with desktop modules of both minibrute and polybrute so you could chain them together
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I fully expect them to make a 4-8 voice poly synth sometime in the next 12-18 months with 61 keys
I expected a polyBrute and was and still am wanting to purchase it - it seemed inevitable it would be made by Arturia. But Bruno, a key member of Arturia, stated in January that they have no plans for a poly version of the Brute. Sad! You can read his exact reply on the Arturia Minibrute forums:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf...?topic=12397.0
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search