What is the best MIDI keyboard for musical range?
swampert948
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

What is the best MIDI keyboard for musical range?

I am looking to buy a MIDI keyboard which has a lot of range, so a lot of notes basically. I'm not looking for it to have any other features. I want it for songwriting rather than synthesis, so i would like to find one that has near to the same amount of keys as a regular piano if that is possible? I'm new to buying my own gear so I have no idea what's available, whatever you guys can suggest would be great, thank you.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert948 View Post
I am looking to buy a MIDI keyboard which has a lot of range, so a lot of notes basically. I'm not looking for it to have any other features. I want it for songwriting rather than synthesis, so i would like to find one that has near to the same amount of keys as a regular piano if that is possible? I'm new to buying my own gear so I have no idea what's available, whatever you guys can suggest would be great, thank you.
M-Audio Keystation 88ES. $200 - 240. 88 keys, "semi-weighted" (which just means stronger springs), pitch bend, mod wheel, volume slider. USB. Foot control for sustain and volume. As far as I know it is the only product in that price range with 88 keys. Check out a guy named Torley on You Tube to see this board in action. Otherwise you will have to get 88 weighted Keys. Akai, M-Audio, Roland and a couple of others make these. Priced from about $600 to $1000. But these will have the "other features" which you may not want to pay for.

Or, you could get an electric piano. $600 and up. If you wanted weighted keys with a minimum of frills. Make sure there is USB connectivity and you are set.
swampert948
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

I just checked it out and it is exactly! What I want. Yeah I can't afford to pay stupid amount and especially like you say for those keyboard I might be paying for feature that I'm not going to use. But yeah the M-Audio Keystation 88ES seems good to me man. Thank you so much buddy
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampert948 View Post
I just checked it out and it is exactly! What I want. Yeah I can't afford to pay stupid amount and especially like you say for those keyboard I might be paying for feature that I'm not going to use. But yeah the M-Audio Keystation 88ES seems good to me man. Thank you so much buddy
You're welcome. If you're new to buying gear, a couple of tips. Be very careful unpacking the board. Keep the packaging in as good as shape as possible. Keep your receipt in a safe place. You may not like it and want to return it. Try the board out like crazy for a few days. Keyboard feel is very subjective. If you read the reviews of the board on this site (search Keystaton 88es to find some) you'll find many state they hate this board, others love it, others think it is simply good value for the money spent. I wrote a rather long post about the board here

Master keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es? Or maybe not?

Bottom line for me is, it works, I get music made with it and it's relatively inexpensive. It would be worth a couple of hours of your time to research the board thoroughly. As you should do with every piece of gear you buy. Buyer's remorse is a bitch...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search