Robert Hood: genius or hack?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Robert Hood: genius or hack?

yes, Robert Hood. the gearslutz techno favorite.

techno genius, or just a guy that happened to stumble upon a decent formula?

can just about "anyone" make his style of minimal techno?

discuss.

[EDIT: changed wording, at least in this post. i don't think the term 'hack' applies here either way.]
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

What makes you think it could be a hack ?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Minimalism done well is extremely difficult. Just because it's quite easy to create a so-so minimal techno track doesn't devalue the masterpieces of the genre in any way.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for acid

Genius! And he keeps getting better with age, as well!

From the latest album...

Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Genius. And - along with Mills, Von Oswald/Ernestus and Curtis Jones - demigod in my world.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Robert Hood and Jeff Mills are about the only persons/things/bands/etc. I've ever been a fan of.

Listen Minimal Nation album by Robert Hood. Very sophisticated music, if you dont get it, well, then you just don't get the vibe/point of minimalism.

Robert Hood - The Core could be called a genius track. Nice LFO trick in it.
Old 29th December 2012
Banned

I liked, actually loved some of the records when fresh - but they have been dining out on that ever since - that Jeff Mills orchestra thing marked him for me.

That posted track though - sounds very old hat - surely everyone round here can do that now?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

nice reverb on kick
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
That posted track though - sounds very old hat - surely everyone round here can do that now?
I most definitely can't, and it's not just hero worship. I've been trying to make minimal techno for years, and still can't get it right. It's much more difficult than it sounds.
Old 29th December 2012
What are you primairly struggling with?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeOnMercy View Post
What are you primairly struggling with?
Everything really. Can't synthesize interesting enough sounds, can't mix well, especially suck at making drums etc etc.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Genius! And he keeps getting better with age, as well!

From the latest album...

omg...sick track ! i just love simple track with perfectly sculpted sounds
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Its a formula - a good one that I liked very much and still do. But these guys sound exactly the same as they did in the 90s. Thats not a criticism just an observation. If that means your a genius then so be it.

Oh, and the difference between the US and Euro minimalist is the US guys do it with funk and soul. That's the trick to getting it right imo. Its very easy to be minimal and souless - imo.
Old 29th December 2012
I find him quite overrated to be honest. Perhaps one in ten of his tracks have some interesting sounding element. I think the word 'genius' is thrown about too much these days.

I thought 'minus' was a good track
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

the nighttime world albums cover alot of ground from jazz to hip hop, acid ,ambient ,techno.

The guy is no one trick pony for sure.

His minimal productions are a masterclass in how to infuse funk and soul within a stripped down aesthetic, theyre pretty much a gold standard ,often emulated though rarely equalled.

Having said that , im much happier listening to kenny larkin, he doesnt get half as much recognition but definetly qualifies for the genius badge in my book.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I most definitely can't, and it's not just hero worship. I've been trying to make minimal techno for years, and still can't get it right. It's much more difficult than it sounds.

if u use reason i would be willing to pass on some RNS files for u to dissect or anyone for that matter just send me a pm
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frier tuck View Post
if u use reason i would be willing to pass on some RNS files for u to dissect or anyone for that matter just send me a pm
Sorry, I'm a hardwarehead. Me and software don't get along really. Thanks for the offer though!
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
What makes you think it could be a hack ?
bad choice of words, i don't think he's a 'hack' at all. i should have written something like "genius or not?" i could see arguments that he's a bit over-rated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
Listen Minimal Nation album by Robert Hood. Very sophisticated music, if you dont get it, well, then you just don't get the vibe/point of minimalism.
been listening to that, along with 'Internal Empire' and 'The Protein Valve' over the past few days. i "get it" and certainly do enjoy it, though i don't think i'd go as far as calling it "sophisticated" (??). at least by definition, there's really nothing too complex about these early releases.

i ask this based on a comment in another thread a while back, where someone stated something like "toss a few random sequences over a 909" and someone shot back that it wasn't that simple. in general i'd agree, but listening more closely to him now i wonder if it almost is that simple sometimes.

[more on all this in a bit...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
From the latest album...

wow, yeah, great track! i'll have to check out his more recent stuff as well.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

been listening to that, along with 'Internal Empire' and 'The Protein Valve' over the past few days. i "get it" and certainly do enjoy it, though i don't think i'd go as far as calling it "sophisticated" (??). at least by definition, there's really nothing too complex about these early releases.
I don't think it's meant to be complex, quite the opposite. Simplicity and what italians call sprezzatura is the key.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
bad choice of words, i don't think he's a 'hack' at all. i should have written something like "genius or not?" i could see arguments that he's a bit over-rated though.

i ask this based on a comment in another thread a while back, where someone stated something like "toss a few random sequences over a 909" and someone shot back that it wasn't that simple. in general i'd agree, but listening more closely to him now i wonder if it almost is that simple sometimes.

[more on all this in a bit...]

wow, yeah, great track! i'll have to check out his more recent stuff as well.
I have tried the 909 approach. I don't think it's as simple as...just throw some sounds over top.

I think it takes some planning and thought. If one is using only a 909+ synth/ sampler then there are certain limitations imposed upon you.

Or maybe just experimentation until you have something that works....
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

If we take some tracks from his beginning they are very simple, but every sound fits perfectly where he puts it. At that time he did something original, maybe if he was born these days it would be more difficult. But I have to say that with the last album he didn't do granted things!

Often you can count the sounds he use on a hand: ROBERT HOOD - Range (Superman/Range - [M-Plant]) - YouTube
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
at least by definition, there's really nothing too complex about these early releases.
My favourite record ever is first (official) Suicide album. That record is moronically simple on paper. In practice, it's unreproducable by anyone in Universe except Alan Vega and Martin Rev. Hood is not on that level, there are some guys/gals who can pull that, but Hood has that it for me. One other thing, friends of mine that get nice money to play records drop Hood tracks, old and new, all the time. And that's non plus ultra indicator. It's like when I tried to reproduce Basic Channel / Maurizio stuff. Formula is simple, all the ingredients are there, but I just couldn't set it in motion on the same level. They have feel, I don't, end of story. Most of EDM doesn't rely on feel (what ever that could be), but some stuff here and there is pure feel, like this track for example.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear
hmmm... don't think I have any techno "heroes".
As a teen I was quite obsessed with Inigo Kennedy and the Space DJz crew tho...

my favorite Hood track

IMO - I think Juan Atkins and Derrick May are overrated. Anytime when they say they "started it" .. I always see a little hesitation in their expressions... notice that I didn't mention Kevin..
Old 29th December 2012
Banned

Isnt this thread a stupid insult in itself? just to bring that question up in a world of deff mousses, tiesticals, asswishis and baguettas? come on..you cant be serious
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
Isnt this thread a stupid insult in itself? just to bring that question up in a world of deff mousses, tiesticals, asswishis and baguettas? come on..you cant be serious
Thats right.R hood is the real thang man....

Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Don't know anything about him, but listening to the tracks posted he is obviously not a one-trick pony. In that regard he's no hack.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
ahahahah you're damn right man!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search