Robert Hood: genius or hack?
New Reply
Subscribe
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer View Post
There's much more to Rob Hood than banging minimal.

Robert Hood - Still - YouTube
Thanks for this one. Didn't know it
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for acid

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
Isnt this thread a stupid insult in itself? just to bring that question up in a world of deff mousses, tiesticals, asswishis and baguettas? come on..you cant be serious
No, i think discussion is good in general. Music should be taken on it's own merit and not in comparison to other music. Rob Hood has made some great tracks - no doubt of that - but it does get a bit tiresome when people blindly label everything as 'genius'. Perhaps i'm just not in on the joke but that 'The Greatest Dancer' track has to be joke right!?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isnt this thread a stupid insult in itself? just to bring that question up in a world of deff mousses, tiesticals, asswishis and baguettas? come on..you cant be serious
No it's not an insult. I am not concerned about the baguettes, deaf mousies and that lot. I am just not paying attention to it. I am aware it exists but I don't care to fight it. : )

It is fair to make judgement calls in the context of the techno community. If your down at the record store and you only have a $100 but there are 12 records you want but can only afford 10 well then you're going to make a choice. That choice is going to be a subjective judgement call....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
JEEZUS...I never realized how many whiny little c*nts there were on this site until the recent rounds of drum machine announcements.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
I liked, actually loved some of the records when fresh - but they have been dining out on that ever since - that Jeff Mills orchestra thing marked him for me.

That posted track though - sounds very old hat - surely everyone round here can do that now?
No - the track posted is awesome. So much subtle movement.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm gonna bow out of this thread and put my comments down to just 'not quite getting' Rob Hoods music. Music is whatever the listener wants to make of it. Example:

I don't really 'get' this

Robert Hood - And Then We Planned Our Escape - YouTube

But i really dig this

Parallel 9 - Padox - YouTube

very, very similar minimal styles but one hits the spot and the other doesn't, and one is not better than the other either. Just a subjective taste thing.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Banned

the thread question is an insult and the hacks are people that dont see that.
You must have a slightly distorted ego to even think about it.. I diagnose preset induced meglomania.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
I'm gonna bow out of this thread and put my comments down to just 'not quite getting' Rob Hoods music. Music is whatever the listener wants to make of it. Example:

I don't really 'get' this

Robert Hood - And Then We Planned Our Escape - YouTube

But i really dig this

Parallel 9 - Padox - YouTube

very, very similar minimal styles but one hits the spot and the other doesn't, and one is not better than the other either. Just a subjective taste thing.
You're right about subjective taste thing as for me, concerning these two tracks, it's the total opposite ! I find the second track boring to death...
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
Just a subjective taste thing.
in the end, yes it is. And good luck trying to explain merits of either tracks to average Styx fan. I don't buy into "universal reference frame for art" but I still stick with my strong personal opinion.
BTW, Padox is good tracks but And Then We ... clicks with something in my brain in the way other one doesn't.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
You're right about subjective taste thing as for me, concerning these two tracks, it's the total opposite ! I find the second track boring to death...
exactly
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
the thread question is an insult and the hacks are people that dont see that.
You must have a slightly distorted ego to even think about it.. I diagnose preset induced meglomania.

Nah - there should never be any untouchables, otherwise you'll never learn.

Recognising when Mozart was 'writing as a sow piddles' allows you to recognise when the true genuis was at play.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

if you have to ask this question, then you don't get it. which is fine...
he's not untouchable but he defined mininmal techno and is one of the best techno producers full stop. has been for many, many years.

that hood track is significantly better than the rachmad one too. i like rachmad's productions but his dubby stuff is a little bland in my opinion. however his "tir na nog" track is a belter... can't really be described as minimal though .
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Hood is one of the better second tier Detroit techno producers, but he can't touch people like Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills or Mike Banks.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
Hood is one of the better second tier Detroit techno producers, but he can't touch people like Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills or Mike Banks.
he's got quite a different sound to atkins/may/craig/banks though really.
i don't really ever "compare" the detroit guys like that. what's the point? they've all got their own styles.

especially when the likes of derrick may hasn't been anywhere near a studio in such a long time

[edit: for what it's worth, hood and mills' stuff has been more influential to me than any of the other detroit guys ]
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

I don't think Hood can really be overestimated. His style is very much copied, but mostly very poorly. There really hasn't been a period in the last 20 years of techno music where Hood was not relevant. How many others can you say that about? It is really pretty amazing. And anyone who knows his catalog with any depth knows he is a hardly a one trick pony. He should be thought of as one of the great techno artists of all time, up there with Basic Channel, Juan Atkins, etc.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

is Basic Channel really surviving the test of time.. I still got Domina laying around.. that's about it.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
is Basic Channel really surviving the test of time.. I still got Domina laying around.. that's about it.
Seriously?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
oh now its basic channel that needs to get downszised to your formats.. Just because any idiot can do techno these days dont says that anybody that did techno in the past is an idiot. You forget that n the past there was no tutorial videos and subgenre definitions.. you had to made theese yourself.. now making your own sounds and beats is already to much being asked for but you question the value of older originals? Besides..prove of time? Have you done anything that had the prove of time? In something so short living as techno a track being played for 2 decades is equal for with normal poptracks being around for 100 years.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

just seems like a niche that has a big internet buzz.. didn't call them idiots.

Wish more people talked about Cabinet Records more often.. . great shite.. tons of other great stuff out there.. but the internet seems to talk about the same 5 things all the time. I hate conformity almost as much as I hate ridicule.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

One of my favorite Cab Drivers jams..

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
You call your beats minimal well I call them simple... lol I just heard a track with that sample in it.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I can't believe there is such a thread or that would even question Robert Hood.
This thread should just read Robert Hoos is a Genius, fullstop.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

I think Robert Hood is a really interesting producer. I bought almost all records of him, when they came out. Especially the Nightime World releases show his versatileness.

But what I don't get: He's still spinning records around or above 130 BPM, even in small clubs. Why do some Detroit guys still think, that they have to play techno always that banging? They produce a lot of real soulfull stuff, but they play sometimes really blunt sets. I don't get it.

Concerning Basic Channel: they have founded a whole genre, check out Juno Records.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

He is good but not my favourite. I think Daniel Bell shaped the sound of minimal techno more, but both of them are legends.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
He is good but not my favourite. I think Daniel Bell shaped the sound of minimal techno more, but both of them are legends.
very true.... and Chicago took that Daniel Bell sound and made it HARD.. and New York took that sound and made it even HARDER.

For funky bangin minimal you can't really get better than Todd Sines.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have two questions :

1. Does anyone know where is it possible to buy the Nighttime world 1 and 2 ?

2. Sadly, I couldn't see Robert Hood, because of a last minute snow storm, a few weeks ago. What does it give in live ?

Thanks
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post

1. Does anyone know where is it possible to buy the Nighttime world 1 and 2 ?
Plenty of copies available at Discogs.com.

Edit: At least of pt 1.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Im not sure if I'd stretch to genius. But he's certainly a master craftsmen of minimal techno. Has been for as long as anyone.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Banned

problem with the question genius or hack is that it dont leaves much options.

genius is a quite high term.. and hack is an insult for somebody that is around for 20 years...

BUT

we live in a time that hasnt made it to develop any own new youth culture since the technohouse revolution in the late 80´s/early 90´s. Even drum&bass and dubstep as the most modern offspring of that development reach back to the early 90´s...

And we have now so many people doing such music like never before.. ther are over 1,5 million legal copy of ableton live out there... and i dont want to know how much theese vengance suckers sell.. to all the blody hacks out there.-.
Armies of copy cats.. the damned..

In such an army of Hacks each original producer actually starts to look like a genius.. you dont need to be a beethoven or hendrix anymore..
Its just enough to be good and having an own style and you already qualify as genius..

consequently..when a total hack can look and sound like a producer thanks to formulars the "geniuses" have founded, and a preset industry that copys the inventors and makes it look easy to get to such sounds and grooves..

So in this world somebody like Robert Hood is a genius..no question about it..

maybe no universal one.. but i never met a guy that had a better touch on the 909 than him.. and that is still the instrument he talks with in his music..
It´s not his fault that any hack learned to program funky 909 licks from his followers and followers of followers...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search