do samples do the MC-909 justice?
New Reply
Subscribe
katstudio
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

do samples do the MC-909 justice?

I can pick up a 909 or just get samples and save a few hundred bucks and pick up an ElecTribe ESX-1SD in the cheap, and an EMX-1SD. What's the better deal?

(I posted a similar thread earlier, but it went a different direction.)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

havent you already asked this stuff under another thread?
katstudio
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
I was comparing the Electribes to the 909, and that thread got nowhere, because people started auguring over midi sync issues, and the point of this thread is to ask if buying an ESX or ES-1 mkII sampler and 909 samples would do it justice.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Did anyone go into detail about how much of a pain it was to do live sequencing on the MC909? For instance, you have to hit record, xox style in your pattern, then stop everything to switch to another instrument, then hit record again and play to continue on with your day. total work flow killer. That, and if you plan on using it for a controller half of the sliders and knobs don't transmit midi data.

Go with one of the electribes, load in your own samples, much more live/user friendly and if you don't like how it looks you can buy custom skins for it.
Attached Thumbnails
do samples do the MC-909 justice?-terminator-main.jpg  
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

And I would say stay clear of mc 909 samples, there's WAY better samples to be had elsewhere. Unless you really want that 2003 era sound that's pretty dated now. You have to wait at least another 7-10 years before they become en-vogue again.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by katstudio View Post
I was comparing the Electribes to the 909, and that thread got nowhere, because people started auguring over midi sync issues, and the point of this thread is to ask if buying an ESX or ES-1 mkII sampler and 909 samples would do it justice.
I think you can get similar sounds via sampling on the Electribes as sampling on the MC909.

I know the MC909 samples allow you to time stretch them in real time. Not sure if you can do that on an Electribe. I also think the roland effects are better but that could be subjective.

I can tell you are trying to make this decision and can I say that if you buy either make sure you get one in good condition, that way if you don't like it, you can sell it at cost and get the other thing.

I'm getting the impression you want the electribes so why not go with that, purchase them, use them and if they aren't what you thought they were flip them for something else.

My .02
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you're only interested in the 909's drum sounds, sure.

But an ESX is a lot less powerful overall than the 909.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
I would give the OP a pass on re-posting this since his previous thread devolved into a ridiculous off topic argument about MIDI timing.

That said, I don't think the MC-909 sounds "special" enough to warrant paying for samples of it. It's designed to mimic other synths, so if you buy samples of it you're kind of paying for knock-offs of knock-offs.
My Rock Band: http://lowvoltagerangers.com
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

do you mean MC-909 samples or TR-909 samples?
katstudio
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeroj View Post
do you mean MC-909 samples or TR-909 samples?
mc-909
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

well, I have the ES-1 and it runs samples of all sorts of things just fine.

Was just curious what on the mc-909 would be worth sampling?
katstudio
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

my idea with getting an Electribe sampler is that I can get cheap samples of some of my favorite synths and drum machines (i.e. TB303, Juno 6-106, TR-x0x, MC- x0x, MS-20, Bass Station, Voyager, Minimoog, etc...)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

yes, do it. You'll love it
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I would definitely go with an ESX-1 SD over the 909 any day. That said, if you want a killer Groovebox with more depth and features, get an E-MU Command Station. I know they don't sample, but in terms of workflow and sound I think it stomps all over the MC-909. Even though you can't sample on it, you can recreate damn near any sound if you're a decent programmer. The synth architecture is extremely deep.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Synth Nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Chucker View Post
Did anyone go into detail about how much of a pain it was to do live sequencing on the MC909? For instance, you have to hit record, xox style in your pattern, then stop everything to switch to another instrument, then hit record again and play to continue on with your day. total work flow killer. That, and if you plan on using it for a controller half of the sliders and knobs don't transmit midi data.
Not sure I am understanding this properly, but my mc909 allows you to switch instruments during recording. There are also other modes of recording in your pattern, not just x0x style. Also, while you can't just punch in and out of record mode as easily as on, say, an mpc, you can simply go into record mode and use the "rehearsal" button as an easy enough workaround. The metronome is assignable to a separate output, should you still want it, but not going out of the mains.

Also, while not ALL of the knobs/sliders transmit midi, the majority of them do. The only parts that don't are the controls for FX, and the "mastering" section. The parts that would be useful as a controller (patch editing, levels, mixer) are available, minus the "random modify" knob.

Lots of helpful info in this thread as well as the last one regarding mc909 vs electribes. I've used both, and for my purposes, the mc909 is far more versatile than the electribe series. Electribes have a certain appeal though, and since this IS gearslutz, you should probably go ahead and get both.

I wouldn't waste my time finding samples from an mc909 though.

My advice would be to try as many options as you have available, and go with the one that fits your style.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

The MC 909 is a great synth for live performance. Actually the MC 505 /909 are one of the dance/live performance oriented synths I´ve liked the most for live performance.

It has a really good balance between sliders, buttons, triggers and information display, wich makes it really handy for manipulating and tweaking continuous dance music.

I owned once the whole Groovebox series. The preset sounds are really crap in general, and the factory patterns, even worse. They could sound updated to people who eats dance music everyday, but they can collaborate a LOT played along other gear.

The problem with the Groovebox series, is the low quality hardware controllers. Roland made these synths mostly to introduce DJs into the production area. DJs who wanted to not only put records, but try to make something from their own head.

They are easy to understand gear, but they were not made to last. Encoders are crappy quality, noisy buttons, low quality sliders. Etc. All of them, MC303, 307, D2, 505 and 909 gave problems with buttons, sliders knobs and everything in general.

The MC909 had a little bit more ambition, and the most "professional" of these groove machines. The sounds were better, and the sampling feature added a lot to its sound palette possibilities.

About the ESX-1, is one of the synths I use the most. It has a superb pattern composition concept. Hyperfast to put ideas on the dance area. It manages the small sample database very well, and it´s a really inspiring gear. I´m almost addicted to its sequencing process.

It´s a shame they have several "imperfections" on its case design.

The EMX-1 and ESX-1 share the same case under the red and blue covers. Korg reduced costs on the assembling line, making the same case for two different machines...

The pitch knob gives problems after a couple of years. Also the level knob. Also the up/down buttons will become almost non responsive after some usage. Also the slider.... etc...

Mine has visited the technician two times, first one to replace a burned fuse (the fuse issue is documented and it´s a general problem for the ESX and EMX), and second one, to replace the pitch and level encoders....

It´s a shame, because the ESX-1 is really a great sampler.
katstudio
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

wouldn't the ESX-1SD be able to store samples in the SD CARD?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search