What do I do with this synth keyboard/cabinet? Can I make it a midi controller?
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

What do I do with this synth keyboard/cabinet? Can I make it a midi controller?

So I purchased a Synth Keyboard & Cabinet project from ebay, and .... I was wondering just what to do with it!
My thoughts were initially to turn it into a midi controller usb keyboard. But for that to work, I'm assuming I have to replace the keys, is that right? I've chopped up a midi keyboard to put in an old organ cabinet in the past, but that was a 49 key keyboard.

I'm having a hard time finding a 37 key midi controller, so I was wondering if there's a way of keeping the keys, but using it as a midi controller?

Either that, or what's the easiest way to make it a synth..? If there was a 37 key-keyboard with the longer keys I'd butcher that, but I can't even come up with something on that front.

Here's the item description :

... this is a three octave C to C keyboard removed from an organ & fitted into my DIY built cabinet made from alloy sheet with wood end cheeks it has a hinged front panel for easy access to mount parts inside. It was going to be used to build an analog synth from circuits at MFOS Web site or the PIC synth project but I decided to go the full way & build a minimoog clone instead (a lot bigger project) so I don't think I will ever get around to using this ! The cabinet is based on the PE minisonic the keyboard is a diode matrix type so would require some mod to convert to resistor chain for 1v/octave it has four rubber feet fitted, I was going to spray paint the alloy surface satin black for a more pro look, it has a small footprint for portability this is only of use to someone good with building electronic circuits etc ......
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Does the perspective fool me or is the front panel just about the right height for a Eurorack frame?
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista View Post
Does the perspective fool me or is the front panel just about the right height for a Eurorack frame?

What size would that be? You think that's do-able?

Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

I have no idea really... but if it is it could make a really neat little self-contained modular system.
Old 29th December 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
What size would that be? You think that's do-able?

The height of euro-modules themselves is just about 5 inches (3 U), measuring the total height including the rails get to about 5,25 inches (5 and 1/4).
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.o View Post
The height of euro-modules themselves is just about 5 inches (3 U), measuring the total height including the rails get to about 5,25 inches (5 and 1/4).
Hmmm..... where's the best place to get me a cheap euro-module. For a newbie, that is...?
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Would there be any way to strip a Microkorg to fit into this? the only thing is, the keys on the microkorg are tiny ... could I in any way leave the keys I have to run the Microkorg?
Old 30th December 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
Hmmm..... where's the best place to get me a cheap euro-module. For a newbie, that is...?
Depends on where you are, if you're in the US then as far as I know a n a l o g u e h a v e n is the guy to talk to, if in Europe there are several places; escapefromnoise.com , thomann.de , schneidersladen | berlin – london – online - just some places I've used.

For some tips on eurorack DIY, check the bottom of this page:
A-100 do it yourself page

Schneidersladen I believe also has available custom length rack rails (if you it's wider than a standard 19" rack).
Doepfer sells DIY kits and power supplies for just this kind of builds.

If you want to get something just to take measurements etc. I guess you could order a blank panel or a passive multiple or something.

If you actually want to get some noise out of it I think the Doepfer A-111-5 which is basicly a complete Dark Energy minus power and MIDI.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search