Headphones for producing EDM
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

Headphones for producing EDM

I am completely aware that this thread has been made before, but I am making this thread to help me personally with the knowledge and opinions of my fellow gearslutz.

Ok, a little background on me and my setup- I am an electronic music producer that mostly makes bass-heavy dance music. Not just one specific genre, I make House, Electro, Dubstep, 110bpm stuff, Trap... Literally anything I can try to make, I will. as long as its exciting to spin. I have KRK Rockit 8s for my studio monitors.

Now here's where I need help- I currently have Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones right now that I do quite a bit of producing in (when i'm in my dorm room or somewhere I don't have access to my monitors). I really feel like this is hindering my mixes because the translation between the two isn't good. I have been looking in to the AKG k701/702s the most lately, but I really don't know enough about the science behind headphones to know what a good buy is.

I do not have a specific budget- I am willing to spend as much as necessary to get good headphones. I just don't know which ones to get, whether to get open or closed back or anything... I think all of this is enough information, but if you need to know more, feel free to ask. I just really need something that will translate so I don't **** up my mixes from the start. Thanks.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

The HD280's are good phones....

Have you considered picking up a Focusrite VRM box instead?

I have used it in the past and for what it does (provide multiple 'reference' points / simulations) it works quite well.

Would be cheaper by far than a pair of 701's / 702's, and I think it would help you find the holes in your mix.

Best of luck.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

I have the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros and I don't like them at all. So, I picked up the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros and I LOVE THEM!!!

Again, that's just me. Some people swear by the Beyers. For me, they were a bit too boomy. That might be my mix though. I could be a crap engineer. :-)

BTW, I like to write House, Techno, Tech House, etc. Stuff along the lines of what Sasha, John Digweed, Dave Seaman, Jimmy Van M and those guys play.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

swear by my sennheiser hd 25 II but it's just a matter of comparison and getting used to the character of whatever you are using.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

audeze LCD 2 or 3 depending how much you can spend
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

i use beyerdynamic 990 pro 250 ohm version, 99% of time ,eventually checking mix on monitors and im satisfied .Good cans
Old 27th December 2012
I produce all the genres you mentioned and I have a pair of AKG K702s

if it wasn't for my Beats Studio then I wouldn't really be able to work on any of the bass heavy genres, just not enough low end on the k702s to get the subs and kick right

I'd say go for the AT M50s or similar

whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE BEYERDYNAMIC DT880, I was NEVER able to get the low end right with them and my mixes always came out thin
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

i reference my tracks on ipod headphones and on my dj phones (allen & heath). works great for me.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear
I bought K702s before I realized I needed an amp for them.

Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

ath m50 and if possible with akg 701/702
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

everyone list their personal favorite cans, go!

But seriously, I love my ATH-M50s on bass-heavy stuff. They handle everything from tight and punchy to huge subby lows. When I got tired of the 'S' (straight) version's cable tangling to hell I bought a white set with the coiled cable (mentioned because if I didn't like them I could have gone to something else and chose not to).
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Sennheiser hd600.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Wow! Confusing thread

Rather than people all listing what they happened to have... is there a sort of "NS-10s" in headphones these days? What's THE one to have, if there is such a thing?

-a
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Wow! Confusing thread

Rather than people all listing what they happened to have... is there a sort of "NS-10s" in headphones these days? What's THE one to have, if there is such a thing?

-a
Unfortunately there is no NS10 of the headphone world.
If you want to get confused even further, you can have a look at this thread.

Best mixing headphones!

It's over 50 pages long and still no definitive answer.

I'm interested in this too as I mostly mix on headphones. One thing I can tell you is having some speakers to check the mix on is quite valuable. I wouldn't rely on just headphones alone.

*By the way, I am a fan of the Shure Shr 840's for mixing. Great value at around $200 too.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Old 27th December 2012
A good tool mixing with headphones can be Focusrite VRM Box, simulating some common speakers in a room in the headphones.
Old 28th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
ath m50 and if possible with akg 701/702
if you're in a mac then Apogee One works great for me
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

been using a pair of Ultrasone HFI-650 's , they seem to do whats required.
Old 28th December 2012
mir
Gear nut
+1 to HD600 and VRM Box.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I use the 280s and think they are pretty good for the price. The highend is dodgy, but it's like that on all headphones...
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've got HD650's now. Definitely much better than the 280's which I also have, but they are open.
HD25's would be a good choice of you need closed, purely because they are the most popular DJ headphones. They are about as industry standard as you get for DJs, hence pretty good for electronic music playback.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Somebody tried AIAIAI headphones?

Saw them at Flosstradamus's photos | Facebook (one of the top Trap producers, if you don't know)

But no idea how he use them, for DJ sets only or production as well...
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

peeerfect

thanks everyone for your inputs and responses!! all of this is helpful..

leaning toward the HD650's though right now. According to the response graph, I'll be able to hear basslines and such without boosting them too much and effing up my mix... anyone have something to add to this?
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikto View Post
thanks everyone for your inputs and responses!! all of this is helpful..

leaning toward the HD650's though right now. According to the response graph, I'll be able to hear basslines and such without boosting them too much and effing up my mix... anyone have something to add to this?

Beware of the 650's.....and certainly don't rely on some frequency graph....I really did not lijke the 650's, very bloated bass and the most dull highs, like a veil is over them. Search the internet, you'll hear a lot of complaints about them. The 600's are certainly worth a try however.
Old 28th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E View Post

Somebody tried AIAIAI headphones?

Saw them at Flosstradamus's photos | Facebook (one of the top Trap producers, if you don't know)

But no idea how he use them, for DJ sets only or production as well...
Flossty are the last guys you should be looking up to production wise man
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Buy a pair of ATH-M50's and call it a day.

They take about a week or two of use for burn in, but after that you're gonna PM the most sincere thank you message you've ever written.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

I love my shure srh-840. They sound amazing and I use them for both djing and production and it works fine.

They last great, and customer service is awesome. My first pair broke when my friend was using them to dj. He pulled the ear muffs way too wide to slip them off his head instead of just sliding them off and they broke. Shure sent me a brand new unopened pair immediately!
Old 28th December 2012
Question: if you get a pair of headphones that have more bass, doesn't that mean that your mixes will come out thinner with less bass, since you aren't mixing in as much bass as you think you are?

The reason I ask is because I use the AKG 702 and like them precisely because they don't overhype the bass while mixing. Seems like people want more bass though, but why?
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
Question: if you get a pair of headphones that have more bass, doesn't that mean that your mixes will come out thinner with less bass, since you aren't mixing in as much bass as you think you are?

The reason I ask is because I use the AKG 702 and like them precisely because they don't overhype the bass while mixing. Seems like people want more bass though, but why?
Because they don't understand that headphones for mixing are not the same as headphones for listening.

@OP: Sony MDR's or those ATH M-50's. Don't pay more than $150 for headphones--it's not like fancier models overcome the inherent flaws of mixing on cans.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
Flossty are the last guys you should be looking up to production wise man
wise advice
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search