Login / Register

What's your favorite analog synthesizers?
New Reply
Subscribe
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't own any real analogue gear any more, but in the past I've owned an SH101, Roland June 60, Jupiter 6 and jointly owned a CS80 for a while.

One I'd really love would be the ARP 2600. I've never really gone straight for the fattest sound, I've always preferred the most expressive sound which I think is why I ended up with a Radias and why I love the ARP.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
VA is crap in my opinion. Virus, etc all sound super digital. Some softsynth emulations (not VA) like the arturia V stuff (which I guess could be called VA) sound way better than hardware VA's. The P08 is a decent synth, but I think things like the CS80 emulation can be made to sound just as good with the right analog gain stage. But then again, I haven;t explored either extensively, so I don't know. All I know is what I have noodled on at guitar center and videos. From these, I don't see much difference sonically. WHen I think analog, I think warm vibrations and maybe some crackle, and instability, in short, random imperfections that are just not there on modern designs. Spec wise, the antiques are inferior and obsolete, but there is something there that is not on modern designs unless the design specifically calls for it.
Have you ever been behind the wheel of a Waldorf Q? The inspiration that thing triggers, and the expression it is capable of (given, being programmed by a skilled tweaker) is incredible. I would definitely not call it "crap" though I would toss that word out to a Virus (not sure which synths you mean by etc. all)

Edit:

And let me say that though I am not an owner of a plethora of huge analog beasts, I do own an Arp 2600 and an 8 voice OBX, and have spent etensive time with many huge beasts (my avatar is a prime example of one..) and I have the analog appreciation, to put it shortly I am just defending the VAs because I don't think that "crap" is a bucket to throw them all into.
Synths: Arp 2600, OBX, Matrix 12, Rhodes Chroma, Prophet 5 R2, Minimoog D, Serge, Tereshkova, CwejmanS1Mk2, Jupiter 4, Syncussion, Tempest, MonoPoly, Burnkit606, FR777, Prophet600, SX240, MKS70, Moog Prodigy, TX816, MS20mini, MS2000, Ion
FX: Eventide H7600/Space/Timefactor, Culture Vulture, Ebbe & Flut, BiPhase, RE-201, TC Fireworx, MOOGERFOOGERS, SE-70 x2
Dyn/Pres: UA 4-710d, BL Auteur, Overstayer VCA/FET/ID4, dbx160XT x2
A/D: D&R Orion X, Apollo Quad, 2x UAD-2 Quad PCIe's
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
VA is crap in my opinion. Virus, etc all sound super digital. Some softsynth emulations (not VA) like the arturia V stuff (which I guess could be called VA) sound way better than hardware VA's. The P08 is a decent synth, but I think things like the CS80 emulation can be made to sound just as good with the right analog gain stage. But then again, I haven;t explored either extensively, so I don't know. All I know is what I have noodled on at guitar center and videos. From these, I don't see much difference sonically. WHen I think analog, I think warm vibrations and maybe some crackle, and instability, in short, random imperfections that are just not there on modern designs. Spec wise, the antiques are inferior and obsolete, but there is something there that is not on modern designs unless the design specifically calls for it.
Again, it's all opinion... I just didn't see the reasoning for ownning multiple VA synths, but do see their place when it comes to polyphony, effects, & mod options... Which is why I favor the V-Synth XT & Z1(MOSS)... Reagrding the P08, it was all the poly analog I needed, to go along with my Phatty... Both have warmth, rawness, grit, etc that only analog could bring... Just didn't necessarily see the need for a vintage poly/mono, even if some had the classic sound most pay big bucks for...
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
I think a large part of what you're hearing is the difference between DCOs and VCOs. Sounds to me like you dislike all of the modern "DCO Analogs."
Most of the synths I have have DCOs so it's not that... I think it's just the older "innaccuracy" that I personally like... circuits interacting with each other and less well refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
And I don't know about you, but I think Trent Reznor makes a DX7 sound pretty "alive," and Jexus has made sounds on an MS2000 that make me cry. Programming sounds, how you record sound, and what you do with the recorded sound has a lot to do with the liveliness of that sound. In the case of recording and production at least.. I wouldn't say you could ever make a DCO sound that alive if you are playing it live without processing..
I want to be clear, I have an MS2000B and love it to pieces, and I love the DX7 though I no longer own one. Great synths. And I had a lot of fun with the Prophet 08 and want one. I think the newer analog gear certainly sounds more relevant to todays music and fits better in many cases - no contest. All I'm saying is for that alive moving analog sound, I don't think the new gear does it as well as the old gear. And that's what I prefer. Then again most of my music still sounds like Tangerine Dream/Mike Oldfield/JMJ, etc. so I'm living and loving in the past
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
He wasn't building a new Prophet 5. Try building a Prophet or a Jupiter (as they WERE built) today and see how much they cost.
That's a very good point!

So OP - do you have your answer?
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

DCO only had to do with tuning.

As for older synths sounding different:

1 hardware was manufactured with different (better built parts) back then

2 manufacturing methods different

3 lots of variables such as filters, signal path, ect
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
WHen I think analog, I think warm vibrations and maybe some crackle, and instability, in short, random imperfections that are just not there on modern designs. Spec wise, the antiques are inferior and obsolete, but there is something there that is not on modern designs unless the design specifically calls for it.
Some people feel the same way about older VA synths as well. It seems to be less about analog vs digital so much as old vs new.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Of all my gear my Juno 60 is my favorite synth. My favorite drum machine is my Linn LM-1.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Calling Moderator:
This is the second time someone is spamming on GS. Hope you get them!
What are you talking about? I love all the answers I get in this thread! Will be a great reference guide for finally deciding which one to go for.

To everyone who has replied in this thread; THANK YOU! It is much appreciated.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
To everyone who has replied in this thread; THANK YOU! It is much appreciated.
Happy hunting! Let us know what you get
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for acid

Edit: wrong thread!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for acid

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I don't own any real analogue gear any more, but in the past I've owned an SH101, Roland June 60, Jupiter 6 and jointly owned a CS80 for a while.

One I'd really love would be the ARP 2600. I've never really gone straight for the fattest sound, I've always preferred the most expressive sound which I think is why I ended up with a Radias and why I love the ARP.
Sorry to hear that. Just kidding, no seriously sorry to hear that.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Same
Have you sent your EEPROM to Spectral Audio for the 1.10 firmware upgrade? Makes the MIDI response much better. No more occasionally dropped notes and freeze ups.

Opening up the Neptune is pretty easy. Unscrew the washers that hold the input/output jacks in place. Then remove the screws to the case. The EEPROM is on the smaller PCB with the I/O jacks. You'll have to unscrew the little posts that hold the PCB in place to make it easier to remove and reinstall the chip. I used one of those little plastic disposable dental floss/picks to slowly work out the EEPROM. Just put it in an envelope with a $10 bill and Markus will ship it back out quickly.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

DSI Evolver, the original Perfourmer and synthesizers.com are my favorite analogs
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus_ View Post
They sound like an electrical circuit is opening and voltage rushing in.
I better get my hearing checked as I have never heard voltage rush into anything before
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

My 1974 Minimoog because it was made a month after i was born, i bought it in 2001 without knowing this.

Neb
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Have you sent your EEPROM to Spectral Audio for the 1.10 firmware upgrade? Makes the MIDI response much better. No more occasionally dropped notes and freeze ups.

Opening up the Neptune is pretty easy. Unscrew the washers that hold the input/output jacks in place. Then remove the screws to the case. The EEPROM is on the smaller PCB with the I/O jacks. You'll have to unscrew the little posts that hold the PCB in place to make it easier to remove and reinstall the chip. I used one of those little plastic disposable dental floss/picks to slowly work out the EEPROM. Just put it in an envelope with a $10 bill and Markus will ship it back out quickly.
Not yet, will open it up and see if it is done soon. I'm thinking of getting a second one to do the PWM and other mods to.

Another thing I believe in is repetition.
"Repetition is a form of change" - Oblique Strategies
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search