Subscribe
natrixgli
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Being slutty on a cruise ship.

Hi,

I'm going on a cruise in January and I'm planning a good amount of time spent chilling on the deck with some cans on, making music on something.

I have two main options: My OP-1 or iPad.

While my preference is probably towards the OP-1, I think without a computer to dump the tape to, I might run out of space to work with. Plus I'm really nervous about travelling with it. If something happened to my iPad, I'd probably be far less upset than if something happened to my OP-1.

I also have a Monotribe, but that seems a bit bulky, and definitely limited. Plus I'd probably burn through batteries like mad since it's not rechargeable.

Obivously the slutty answer is probably to bring all three and damn the consequences. Any suggestions? Any app recommendations? (I have all the usual suspects; Garageband, iMS-20, Animoog, iElectribe, Tabletop, etc.

The ship's WIFI is horrid, so downloading apps or uploading to Soundcloud is not an option.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

iPad with a cheap, small controller keyboard connected via the USB camera connection kit.
If you find it playable, the Korg NanoKey is a cheap as dirt controller and super-small.

The only problem is that you're then dealing with two pieces and a somewhat awkward cable. It would be possible to use Velcro to mod an iPad cover/keyboard-holding case to attach a small controller and have a nice portable, book-like system. In fact, I think I might try that.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

i think it would be much safer to take your iPad!

Monotribe would be fun but probably not the best bet, for reasons you cited.

Now you said you have all the usual suspects, but do you have the new KORG iPolysix app?

It's still at its introductory half-off price (until dec 31st)
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've been on many a cruise. Getting slutty with a girl or guy is a much better use of time. The staff will push alcohol on you constantly and the cool invigorating breezes and picturesque sunsets will wear you down until your carnal impulses posses you completely. At this point electronic gadgets will only serve as a nuisance.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm with Pale above, bring a Microkorg (batteries) so you can have a bit of a play and a conversation starter.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Take the iPad and post a video afterwards. With or without music...
natrixgli
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
Take the iPad and post a video afterwards. With or without music...
I will keep that in mind....
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
bring a Microkorg (batteries) so you can have a bit of a play and a conversation starter.

LOL, batteries will last a whole 5 minutes in the microKORG.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
LOL, batteries will last a whole 5 minutes in the microKORG.
Going a bit off topic here, but you must use some duds in yours, I use Duracells and am surprised on how long they last. Talking many hours.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
Going a bit off topic here, but you must use some duds in yours, I use Duracells and am surprised on how long they last. Talking many hours.
They were brand new Duracells.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Maybe you were hitting the keys to hard.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Dont have it anymore, but I used to always bring my ol Yami Qy100 on trips. Id suspect the korg mini kaossilator 2 would be cool too, finally has the ability to save.

For ipad apps, besides the ones you have try out the new Ipolysix, beatmaker 2, and isequence.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Take the iPad for later in your room messings around (assuming you don't have a girl with you!) but mainly just enjoy the trip and experience!!! You don't have to be "on" all the time. Living life more fully would help the creative process more I think.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

If you have an op1 and don't take it you have completely missed the point of owning it. Get insurance and get a cheap netbook to file dump too.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Head

He didn't ask for people to tell him how to spend his vacation.
I agree with above, take the OP-1. Half of its novelty is its portability. Maybe not a netbook, but a decent audio recorder.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Okay, let me be perfectly clear, and totally honest.

You should never, ever bring gear to work on music with on these types of trips. what your doing is diluting the experience you will eventually take back with you and write about later.

Never know who you'll meet, or what you will experience if your stuck with cans on your head in paradise.

Seriously, ONE trip to LA, then Oahu twelve years ago inspired a half decades worth of music. It wasn't even that fantastic of a trip when I can look back on it. No romantic love affairs with a beautiful blue eyed Russian brunette on the beach.

It was life, it was family.

Then going through hard times, thinking about those really great times.

A little joy, a little heart break, plus some life experience.

That's what makes great music.

Write music when you get home.

Something to think about.

Oh yea, have a great trip.

Speaking of cruises, I had loads of fun with family a few years back going in Cozumel (people where and are amazing down there). Funny thing is I didn't wear (or I don't ever wear sunblock) and I'm pretty white. Didn't tan or burn and never do anymore. Was crazy people from work didn't believe I even went since come back from being so white. But MAN there where a few people hospitalized for falling asleep on deck and got second degree burns.

So, stay in the shade don't get burned, leave the music stuff at home.

Right.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
Okay, let me be perfectly clear, and totally honest.

You should never, ever bring gear to work on music with on these types of trips. what your doing is diluting the experience you will eventually take back with you and write about later.

Never know who you'll meet, or what you will experience if your stuck with cans on your head in paradise.

Seriously, ONE trip to LA, then Oahu twelve years ago inspired a half decades worth of music. It wasn't even that fantastic of a trip when I can look back on it. No romantic love affairs with a beautiful blue eyed Russian brunette on the beach.

It was life, it was family.

Then going through hard times, thinking about those really great times.

A little joy, a little heart break, plus some life experience.

That's what makes great music.

Write music when you get home.

Something to think about.

Oh yea, have a great trip.

Speaking of cruises, I had loads of fun with family a few years back going in Cozumel (people where and are amazing down there). Funny thing is I didn't wear (or I don't ever wear sunblock) and I'm pretty white. Didn't tan or burn and never do anymore. Was crazy people from work didn't believe I even went since come back from being so white. But MAN there where a few people hospitalized for falling asleep on deck and got second degree burns.

So, stay in the shade don't get burned, leave the music stuff at home.

Right.
Yes but he might come up with great nautical tunes like this:

Brian Eno "The Big Ship" - YouTube

Here is a band doing EM on a ship:
Depeche Mode - Precious (Video) - YouTube
What is that around 0:57 to 1:05? Two moogs?

What was the DP Mode song/video on a riverboat in Germany?
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Yes but he might come up with great nautical tunes like this:

Brian Eno "The Big Ship" - YouTube

Here is a band doing EM on a ship:
Depeche Mode - Precious (Video) - YouTube
What is that around 0:57 to 1:05? Two moogs?

What was the DP Mode song/video on a riverboat in Germany?
Touche.

But I have to say cruise ships are much different than riverboats.

Especially in Germany, those don't count. The only 'river boats' I know of are West of the Mississippi, full of burbon, and for what ever reason end up in New Orleans (channeling Twain here).

You did bring up riverboats though, it was in the movement. So forgive me.

Anyways.

Big difference between vacation and f*cking around on the water.

Seriously man, don't bring your kit.
Bring sun block and a book.

If your a pensive anti-social you'll appreciate the disconnect from it.

If your into party and making 'life experiences', or what the f*ck ever, bring sun block and a book. People will think your 'interesting and intelligent', self aware and confident.

Single dude, reading book on cruise ship.

Seriously that's how it ALL starts...

Besides your not Eno, or Depeche mode, its not 'cool' for you to be 'writing music' on a cruise ship. Your not famous enough yet for it mate.

If you want to be, don't bring your gear.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
I've been on many a cruise. Getting slutty with a girl or guy is a much better use of time. The staff will push alcohol on you constantly and the cool invigorating breezes and picturesque sunsets will wear you down until your carnal impulses posses you completely. At this point electronic gadgets will only serve as a nuisance.
Well said!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

OP-1 if you must, it's a suitable 'toy' (and notebook in the cabin as container).

If you write lyrics I'd suggest a notebook and a pencil instead.

Hardware synths: Korg Polysix, Korg Lambda, Tom Oberheim SEM, Moog Minitaur, DSI Mopho
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
Seriously that's how it ALL starts...

Besides your not Eno, or Depeche mode, its not 'cool' for you to be 'writing music' on a cruise ship. Your not famous enough yet for it mate.

If you want to be, don't bring your gear.
Seriously man, no one should tell anyone how to live, OP is just asking for suggestions on gear, not tips on how to live his life (esp on a gearslutz forums, haha). There is a lot of downtime when traveling (planes, buses, taxis, etc...), and many people who work a lot, look forward to having time to themselves to create tunes. It's fun!! Just like meeting girls is. There is a time and place for everything my dude.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

definitely agree with that.

it's not like he said that's ALL he was going to do, he just said that he was going to kill some time that way.

who cares? isn't that the whole point of a relaxing cruise?
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'd say bring an iPad. It's multi-purpose, there are some amazing music making apps on it now, plus you can read on it, check gearslutz , write a daily journal of your vacation with photos, etc..

But the most important thing is to set daily limits on the time you'll spend with your eyes on that screen. Every time your eyes are spent on the view and on your environment, it will be rewarded with additional inspiration once you get home.
natrixgli
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I'd say bring an iPad. It's multi-purpose, there are some amazing music making apps on it now, plus you can read on it, check gearslutz , write a daily journal of your vacation with photos, etc..

But the most important thing is to set daily limits on the time you'll spend with your eyes on that screen. Every time your eyes are spent on the view and on your environment, it will be rewarded with additional inspiration once you get home.

I don't think spending too much time staring at a screen will be a problem. I've done this before and there's not that much down time. I'm just looking for something to keep myself occupied on occasions where I'm up late and bored, as well as for the inevitable waiting in airports, etc.

Plus there's always odd moments here or there where you're staring at the sun setting over the ocean thinking "damn, some synth pads would be brilliant right about now."

Last I went on a cruise we spent two hours sitting in the lounge waiting to disembark from the ship. That would've been a great time to have Nanoloop handy!

Anyhow thanks for all the suggestions. I am gonna go with the iPad since it's versatile and easily replaceable. I will just have to remember to switch off email, calendars, and alarms. (as well as WIFI since it's about $200 per second on a cruise ship for speeds slower than dialup!)
natrixgli
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

So I just got back from my cruise. I ended up loading my iPad with a bunch of new stuff (Samplr, iPolySix, Audiobus, etc.) I figured it would be nice to have for time spent waiting around, or when I was otherwise bored.

Here's what I learned:

1) It's really hard to get bored on a cruise ship. You can try really hard, but there's pretty much always something to do. Even a boring loner like me will end up singing karaoke and dancing in clubs given sufficient amounts of alcohol.

2) Lots of places you go are not conducive to making music, even with headphones. On my flight, the 717 aircraft I was on was far too noisy to use music apps, even with headphones. I had fairly decent cans but the engine noise made low frequencies nearly impossible to hear.

3) If you're with people, talking to them is more fun than sitting alone with your headphones on. Even on the way back when we had 3.5 hours of sitting in the airport, we had so many things to talk about the headphones just got in the way. Even the few times I did bring out my iPad, I was way more interested in catching up on all the news I missed and sifting through all my new photos. 7 days without internet access will do that to you!

4) Even if you really insist on sitting alone and making music, having just an iPad is somewhat like a tether that ultimately you will find gets in the way when you suddenly decide you want to get up and play some mini golf or try to win a hairy chest contest or some other silly vacation stuff.

Bottom line - if you're planning a trip and it's only a week or two, leave your gear home. You won't need it. If you must bring something keep it light 'cause it's more stuff to pack that you probably won't find much time to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search