Login / Register

Jordan Rudess and Keith McMillen QuNexus!
New Reply
Subscribe
willieKMI
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

Jordan Rudess and Keith McMillen QuNexus!

Hey forum goers! This is Willie from Keith McMillen Instruments and over here we are working on getting the QuNexus finished up and ready for retail to the masses. But as a treat we got Jordan Rudess, keyboard aficionado to shred a little with one of our prototypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRrLHopLS8

Tell us what you think!

If you're not exactly sure what a QuNexus is or you're interested in helping:
QuNexus Smart Sensor Keyboard Controller by Keith McMillen Instruments — Kickstarter
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

ive read about it before,,, its an exciting product , both on midi side (polyAT) but also as a modular CV controller. i dig the design and the whole concept.

i can only comment one thing i wish was different: 2 octaves is way too little. most leads/bass lines require 3 octaves or 3.5 (like minimoog). but i would welcome a 4 octave model as well.

are there any future plans, or even just hint of ideas, to do unit with more keys?

also, an idea: it would be cool to have support for toggle mode operation of keys i.e. i play a key once (it sends a midi note ON), and it becomes lit and stays that way until press a key again (it sends note OFF) and lights go off - this would be sensational for single shot samples or drones one wants to trigger without the need to hold the key or pedal..plus a visual feedback (so important in live situation). Roland had toggle with their SP series sml samplers.

thanks

wish you success, and im definitely considering buying this for my sml portable gig set.

11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

How about fix the QuNeo, then spam the world with the QuNexus?
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

nice, but also wish it had more keys....
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i can only comment one thing i wish was different: 2 octaves is way too little. most leads/bass lines require 3 octaves or 3.5 (like minimoog). but i would welcome a 4 octave model as well.
Err... could I see you and raise you an octave??

Lo - like the idea, but tw - less than four octaves... yikes...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

if it was 37 buttons that'd be veddy veddy nice.

even right now it's great though.

However, for someone use to composing on a more traditional keyboard, 2 octaves is meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
TEESTO NEVER DID THIS SHIT!!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have to resonate what's been said about the keys. To me, for any mini key controller to be useful, it has to have 32-37 keys. 45 keys is perfect. Thought I was the only one that perferred 3-4 octaves being that all the big companies like to make 25 key keyboards. They're just too small to compose with. Maybe good for simple basslines or leads, but not much else.

And another thing, it's also nice when these keyboards start with the 'F' key on the low/bass end of the keyboard. Starting on the 'C' key just cuts off lots of other bass notes and really limits the user.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
What's wrong with the QuNeo ?
WDM
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:

are there any future plans, or even just hint of ideas, to do unit with more keys?

also, an idea: it would be cool to have support for toggle mode operation of keys i.e. i play a key once (it sends a midi note ON), and it becomes lit and stays that way until press a key again (it sends note OFF) and lights go off - this would be sensational for single shot samples or drones one wants to trigger without the need to hold the key or pedal..plus a visual feedback (so important in live situation). Roland had toggle with their SP series sml samplers...
Double it
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
What's wrong with the QuNeo ?
Doesn't work well when controlling actual hardware through the MIDI expander, constantly sends out thousands of patch change messages, which makes it useless as in the middle of playing it changes programs.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

yeah, I have to resonate what's been said about the keys. To me, for any mini key controller to be useful
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

Jordan Rudess is my favorite neck-bearded keyboardist!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

you lost me at "jordan rudess..."
willieKMI
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
We are currently working on fixing all the bugs with QuNeo in V1.2, which is being alpha tested by our programers and being trickled out to our beta for further testing.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieKMI View Post
We are currently working on fixing all the bugs with QuNeo in V1.2, which is being alpha tested by our programers and being trickled out to our beta for further testing.
That's fantastic, this was announced a few weeks ago with no ETA however.

Forgive me for feeling like as late as this product was delivered from its intended release that these bugs should have been ironed out, or at least taken care of before launching the next product campaign and leaving working professionals in the dust. Perhaps if those receiving pre-release units were better suited to test the products, and not "celebrities" I've never heard of...these bugs could have been caught earlier. My QuNeo is worthless in my setup, without being able to control hardware reliably. Support has been unresponsive at best basically since as soon as KMI took my money, communication vague or absent at most. I realize that KMI is a small company, but the way KMI has handled the QuNeo (and from what I've read, many of their other products) in terms of software support is a deal killer for me considering any other KMI products in the future.

I see why Kickstarter is a terrible model for releasing tech products ---> No options for product returns (or at least, KMI has not acknowledged my requests for such, they would rather have frustrated end users bitching all over the internet).
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I have to resonate what's been said about the keys. To me, for any mini key controller to be useful, it has to have 32-37 keys. 45 keys is perfect. Thought I was the only one that perferred 3-4 octaves being that all the big companies like to make 25 key keyboards. They're just too small to compose with. Maybe good for simple basslines or leads, but not much else.

And another thing, it's also nice when these keyboards start with the 'F' key on the low/bass end of the keyboard. Starting on the 'C' key just cuts off lots of other bass notes and really limits the user.

yeah, perfect if keys would start from F.. and then have three C - C octaves above... like minimoog. Rolands like sh2/101, sys100 also start on F.

its not without a reason they went with this standard - because usually the lowest usable tone you can make on synths (and instruments in general), i.e. where you still feel the fundamental and lower than that it turns into pure farting, is arround A. (on rare ocassion, if another VCO is octave above, you may want to go even lower for rumble effects, as top vco "takes over" the role of fundamental.. still low F should more than cover that as well).

so, limiting a 2oct keyboard at C is highly impractical if youre going for bass lines and low notes; you waste almost a whole octave below just to get to the low B, Bb and A... and then youre left with only a single C -C octave above. basically an octave and a third for bass line - not good.
willieKMI
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
That's fantastic, this was announced a few weeks ago with no ETA however.

Forgive me for feeling like as late as this product was delivered from its intended release that these bugs should have been ironed out, or at least taken care of before launching the next product campaign and leaving working professionals in the dust. Perhaps if those receiving pre-release units were better suited to test the products, and not "celebrities" I've never heard of...these bugs could have been caught earlier. My QuNeo is worthless in my setup, without being able to control hardware reliably. Support has been unresponsive at best basically since as soon as KMI took my money, communication vague or absent at most. I realize that KMI is a small company, but the way KMI has handled the QuNeo (and from what I've read, many of their other products) in terms of software support is a deal killer for me considering any other KMI products in the future.

I see why Kickstarter is a terrible model for releasing tech products ---> No options for product returns (or at least, KMI has not acknowledged my requests for such, they would rather have frustrated end users bitching all over the internet).
We will gladly try and personally help you with your problem to give you the necessary support you need. Please e-mail matt@keithmcmillen.com and we'll give you what you need.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, perfect if keys would start from F.. and then have three C - C octaves above... like minimoog. Rolands like sh2/101, sys100 also start on F.

its not without a reason they went with this standard - because usually the lowest usable tone you can make on synths (and instruments in general), i.e. where you still feel the fundamental and lower than that it turns into pure farting, is arround A. (on rare ocassion, if another VCO is octave above, you may want to go even lower for rumble effects, as top vco "takes over" the role of fundamental.. still low F should more than cover that as well).

so, limiting a 2oct keyboard at C is highly impractical if youre going for bass lines and low notes; you waste almost a whole octave below just to get to the low B, Bb and A... and then youre left with only a single C -C octave above. basically an octave and a third for bass line - not good.
Exactly. There are always so many wasted keys on these 25 key controllers, once you pitch an octave up to get to the other bass notes, it feels like the controller is worthless to me. At least very counter-intuitive. And not to jab at the QuNexus in particular, but companies are continuing a horrible trend by keeping with the low 'C' 25-key keyboard.

The MiniMoog layout (# of keys and order) is perfect. That's exactly what I would design. And I've never even owned a Minimoog. That key layout just works really well.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear nut

I am looking at pairing this with Moog Minitaur for some big bass lines. Thoughts??
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
you lost me at "jordan rudess..."
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Tough crowd but honest. To the original poster... It's a good thing to have this feedback.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search