does anyone else find sampling super boring?
getmethough
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

dont get me wrong, I love samplers and the results u get from sampling & the majority of my music is sample based

BUT (to me) THE PROCESS OF SAMPLING IS SO BORINGGGGG

I know lots of people who love it to bits, going and finding weird records and going through them.... but for me the process of sampling its a massive chore

I like digging and finding weird records & trawling weird blogs but I get really really really bored going through them & picking things out

ita almost like i prefer more the gathering downloading and finding records & then never going through them cos I find it super boring lol

whats your opinion? do you love it or hate it?

if u hate it how do you make it interesting for yourself and if u love it, why do you love it?

what do you look for when you are sampling?

Im talking the process of digging & sampling here, not the results

10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

The only thing I hate about sampling is, that if you find a good sample you then spend half of your day trying to find a good quality version of this sample.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Single file sampling? no

Multisampling? Yes

However, I tend to sample from original sound sources.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

I have fun sampling old 8 track tapes lined directly into my casio sk-1 which I couldn't really monitor so it was a sort of a random sampling process which was interesting to see what kind of snippet you would appear.... fun!
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

The entire world of sound can be sampled and you are bored?
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear nut

I've always loved the idea of sampling. And used to sample heaps of random stuff with a minidisk and chop it up from there with the aid of an 8-trak.
Now I've a Maschine, much easier.
I've also a Zoom h2 recorder which I'll often take on walks with record left on.
As for records, I don't look for samples, that'd be tedious, I listen to records/music as one does and every now and then something will pop up.
getmethough
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
The entire world of sound can be sampled and you are bored?
I like field recording, I just hate trawling through records for samples
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Just going though tracks trying to find stuff to sample can be boring. Especially if you don't find anything.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear addict

try sampling from music types you like.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Forget sampling from records and just sample your own gear.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Forget sampling from records and just sample your own gear.

these days the only time i'll sample a record is if something specific gives me an idea to build around or jam over. but trolling thru albums or loop disks looking for things to lift is zzz...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

When I want new samples from my vinyl I just start cueing up records and mix. When I run across something I like I turn on the recorder.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

just no
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

I enjoy mangling samples on my OP-1, previously hated and/or didn't really understand the point. But I guess it depends on what you mean by sampling. If you mean just taking a bar of someone else's music and looping it as your own, yeah that's quite lame.

On the other hand using a tiny bit of something as a tone source or creating something completely new from bits of sound is pretty cool. It's synthesis, really. Just with recorded audio instead of oscillators.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

I love sampling.. but it is a chore..

This is why I have an Akai s612.. so easy..
I also have a Roland VP9000 that I load wav files into,.. or sample lines from my other synths.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Try sampling your own synths layered...or arpeggios that you created....or natural sounds... or any sounds...but for me..sampling existing music could very well be boring.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

a sample bitch thread! Equivalent to :summon crufty:

yes, i really dislike most samplers. I have not used them all. However, little compares to a computer.

so computer sampling = easy

all other sampling, esp involving obsolete discs: zzzzzz
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Nope.
Love it.
Love spending the time to actually decide whether it is worth the effort and really diving in rather than throwing sounds at software and having them play it back rather too efficiently or trawling through patch after patch of other people sounds.
What always surprises me is how on a decent sampler, even a small inconspicuous sound can become great with subtle changes and mods and how the character of samplers can really add to a sound.
And honestly, it shouldn't take that long unless you feel the need to sample thousands of sounds in a go and the you need to ask why!
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

If you find sampling boring then why do you do it? Making music should be fun.

Anyway, I do kinda understand where you're coming from because I do get bored of it sometimes, but very rarely.

When I do get bored I like to find a sample or section of a song I like and try to recreate it using different synths and instruments to the original, that way you can add your own little variations in and see where it takes you and really make it your own - sometimes the result ends up being completely different to the original because you end up getting carried away, but it's definitely worth it and definitely keeps it fresh and kills any boredom you might have encountered otherwise. And by doing this you still get to search for the samples (which you said is what you seem to prefer) but don't have to deal with the actual sampling which you find boring. You can always add in sections of the actual sample over the top too once you're feeling inspired again. I do this quite a bit with mostly good results.

I love sampling. Sometimes if I'm making a loop based beat I'll just take a section of a song, pitch it up or down, add FX and add some drums, bass or synth to it but then other times when making a more collage style beat I'll get a lot more detailed with my chops and processes and you wouldn't be able to tell where the sample came from even if I played the sample for you right afterwards. It all depends on what the song needs. If it works, it works.

I hope any tips you might get from this thread will help you fall back in love with sampling
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

the art of sampling is work... it can be downright tedious depending on the sampling tool/method.. but the end usually justifies the means.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

It's as boring as a tape recorder or mini disk that uses a keyboard to press play.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you count field recording, then cutting up and editing, plus sampling from vinyl, then I find sampling the very opposite of boring :-)
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Sampling can definitely be tedious. I can only add "Me So Horny" in so many songs before I sound like a hack!

Sometimes it's fun. I'm glad that I play instruments, too, so I'm not stuck doing one thing all the time.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

simple answer from the squatski (aka, Akai s-series king)... NO.

I use the s2000 for crying out loud with its small screen and I dont find it boring. I love the art of resampling from one sampler to another. if anything, I find synths boring.
getmethough
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear addict

few people misunderstanding the thread, Im not talking about manipulating samples in a hardware sampler, thats super fun

im talking about building a bank of samples, using Like wave or logic to cut up an process ur samples & then organising them

if people actually enjoy that they are masochists lol

the actual process of tweaking ur samples inside ur chosen sampler is great fun, its just all the bullshit that leads up to that
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethough View Post
few people misunderstanding the thread, Im not talking about manipulating samples in a hardware sampler, thats super fun

im talking about building a bank of samples, using Like wave or logic to cut up an process ur samples & then organising them

the actual process of tweaking ur samples inside ur chosen sampler is great fun, its just all the bullshit that leads up to that
volumes, perfomances & patches that interlink wih each other.

seems like a pretty good way of organising sound's to me

all in its own box. no interference from other software, because its software of it's own...as hardware
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

No, I love sampling, its exciting. The only boring of the sampling process is set loop points.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
No, I love sampling, its exciting. The only boring of the sampling process is set loop points.
+1

Indeed...lol, tedious.

spending half an hour trial and erroring with the intention of "i can get it better than that"
with a background bit of ambience that could hardly be distinguished in a mix.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmethough View Post

Oh, fair enough then haha. I don't bother with building sample banks or librarys (apart from audio files of drum breaks that I don't have in any physical format.)

I just have a reeeeeally long list of stuff spread across different text documents and notepads around my room instead. If I get an idea to sample something but I'm not at home I just make a note on my phone, laptop, paper, whatever. Then next time I'm working on some music and want something like a melodic or voice sample I just flick through one of my lists and see what I fancy working with. I prefer doing this to archiving it all because a) as this thread points out, it's boring as hell and takes far too long and b) actually sampling it when I want to use it makes it seem a bit more musical to me, like the sample becomes more like an instrument because I feel that I have more immediate control over it at the time, rather than pulling it out of a folder on my computer. Dunno if that makes sense or not but . . .
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthless View Post
Oh, fair enough then haha. I don't bother with building sample banks or librarys (apart from audio files of drum breaks that I don't have in any physical format.)

I just have a reeeeeally long list of stuff spread across different text documents and notepads around my room instead. If I get an idea to sample something but I'm not at home I just make a note on my phone, laptop, paper, whatever. Then next time I'm working on some music and want something like a melodic or voice sample I just flick through one of my lists and see what I fancy working with. I prefer doing this to archiving it all because a) as this thread points out, it's boring as hell and takes far too long and b) actually sampling it when I want to use it makes it seem a bit more musical to me, like the sample becomes more like an instrument because I feel that I have more immediate control over it at the time, rather than pulling it out of a folder on my computer. Dunno if that makes sense or not but . . .
+1

i've got a note book entitled "sample ideas" lol
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search