Is all white noise created equal?
Grindonthemind
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Is all white noise created equal?

As a producer of trance, white noise is a major component in my production arsenal. I usually stick with ES2's white noise generator (Logic Pro 9 synth), and it works pretty well, but I've noticed that on the professional trance tracks, white noise has a better "sheen" than what I've been able to produce. It just sounds sexier.

Is this a result of better/higher-quality FX plugins (and superior EQing) being used? Or do some softsynths create better sounding white noise than others? And maybe it's not that the white noise being produced is better sounding, but just that it's more pliable within the synth.

What have your experiences been? Any white noise sound fuller and richer in some synths than others without any additional processing?

The answer might be a simple "no", but I'd like to hear thoughts on the matter. Thanks for input!
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

My Studio

Look at it with a spectrum analyzer.

Noise can be generated in pseudorandom ways - that means that the distribution may not be purely random. However, it's not like the other producers use some radically different plugin.

Eliminate stuff like EQ etc first. It may be as simple as a boost at 12kHz.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

There are numerous flavours of noise, and the trance tracks you are referring to may not be using simple white noise.
I sometimes use pink noise through an HPF (or LPF for a darker sound). I also love digital noise, which has a bit more character to it.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think the white noise in Massive ist as good as Artuia Minimoog's white noise for instance. (and I like the pink noise as well)
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

yea there are different types of noise besides white..(pink,brown, blue.. Colors of noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) there are also various ways to come up with noise and therefore different noise textures that can indeed vary in result quality, it could also be that the noise source itself isn't even digital but analog... obviously even a digital noise source can be processed in a variety of ways.. so in short no not all noise is created equal.
Grindonthemind
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

Thank you guys. How do I make pink noise? Also, do any of you automate EQ over white noise during a rise or buildup etc.? It seems like a good idea idea but I usually can't get it to sound right.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Guru

If you're using noise in the classic trance way, I would filter it rather than automate EQ.
The different noises just have different amounts of rich content.
I don't use software noise, as i have several noise modules in hardware.
If you want to stay in software, you could buy something like this very cheaply (£8):
Advanced Noise Generator
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Lately I have been using noise from an AM radio.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Guru

I have the Quantam Rainbow. It's excellent, but of course needs a Eurorack case to power it.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

am radio noise is the bomb, i like the noise from an old nintendo quite a bit too actually
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrogg View Post
am radio noise is the bomb, i like the noise from an old nintendo quite a bit too actually
Game Boy + Game Boy Camera DJ minigame = Nintendo Noise source.
Grindonthemind
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear addict

What's the best way to pull some white noise from AM radio?
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

it won't be 100% white, but you just slooooowly shift up and down the dial, doing it at sunset or sunrise will give you different frequencies coming in and out than doing it in the middle of the day or night as well, even how you hold it will effect the sound and which direction you point the antenna, cheapy analog tuner ones work best imho because you can get a lot of the in between space whereas a digital tuner will not get anywhere near as much in between
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

My Studio

Different noises have different rolloff frequencies. I think Pink is 3dB per octave after 1k and brown is 6dB per octave. I think. Pick the one which is closest to the natural roll off of your track, or take white noise and roll it off with a custom slope to make your own coloured noise.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search