The NEW TECHNO Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Lol, I don't care what "Wiki" says, I was asking the foum.

So are you saying all new techno sounds like minimal nonsense a 12 year old could program?
I think what is being said is that Techno is a specific thing and that your examples are not Techno. Both Die Antwoord tracks were a merging of Rave/Hip Hop.. if you are curious about Techno, this is a good example of what it is.

if to you this sounds like the minimal nonsense of a 12 year old, then that is unfortunate. Techno is very much like Blues. It is a form and has boundaries and its own aesthetic. it can be applied to other styles of music but those influences and similarities do not make them Techno.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
whatever dude... die antwoord isn't techno.. move on
If "good" techno sounds like the minimal tracks you posted, perhaps it's you who should "move on".

"Oh wow, lets put a delay on a DX-7 sound and play the same note for 5 minuites".

Wow, you're TOTALLY ON THE CUTTING EDGE DUDE!
MrTechno
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If "good" techno sounds like the minimal tracks you posted, perhaps it's you who should "move on".

"Oh wow, lets put a delay on a DX-7 sound and play the same note for 5 minuites".

Come on lets relax this thread has only just started and already the riff raff....

Who cares lets just keep it to the real.

Actually allot of techno was just that and still is the same note playing over over and over again..........listen to most of the classic stuff from back in the day by Robert Hood..it was a one note chord being pitched, that is all.
Very simple stuff and yes repetetive techno is a very repetetive genre and that is fact.

Last edited by MrTechno; 6th December 2012 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: loosing it
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Come on lets relax this thread has only just started and already the riff raff....

Actually allot of techno was just that and still is the same note playing over over and over again..........listen to most of the classic stuff from back in the day by Robert Hood..it was a one chord note being pitched, that is all.
Very simple stuff and yes repetetive techno is a very repetetive genre and that is fact.
Then my apologies to you, Mr. T.

I'm on the wrong thread then because this music does nothing for me.

Knock yourselves out...
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Sampler: E-MU ESI-2000
fx: Filter Queen, Ibanez FL9, Rat 2,Boss PH-1R, Chorus, Wah, DigiTech MSP4, DL3 Delay, Alesis 3630
Daws: Reason 6.5, Cubase Studio 5
Software: Tracks 3, PPG Wave 2.V, Attack, D-Pole, Chipsounds, Synth Maker

http://rogue-ai.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/music-of-the-mind-of-the-soul
MrTechno
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then my apologies to you, Mr. T.

I'm on the wrong thread then because this music does nothing for me.

Knock yourselves out...
Nah no need to apologise at all brother.
We all friends here and its cool if this music aint for you.

There are many forms of techno my friend. Techno is a widely used word when it comes to EDM especially in the States. So it can clearly confuse some people in regards to what techno really is.
Never mind come back soon and check out some other tunes my friend. What is your style let me know?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _seph View Post
honestly, I thought that three W-30 vid was a joke as well.
And why do you think that?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
And why do you think that?
because it had little to do with Techno and it wasn't much of a track, more an ADD inspired Rave recreation where by the halfway mark I was feeling a bit ill ...(and right about now I'm hoping that wasn't your personal video)
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
i've got a soundcraft gb2r 16-channel rackmount mixer. cost about £330 on ebay second-hand.
basically the same as the allen & heath mixwizard, but a bit cheaper.

Soundcraft - [Products]

I like it but I wish it had some subgroups for bussing drums.
I did lots of research before buying a mixer and to be honest, if i had the room I'd get a second-hand Soundtracs Topaz/Project 8 or a Soundcraft Delta. They're both supposed to be excellent and can be bought for £150-250 quite easily on ebay.

As always though, it depends on how many channels you want, how much space you need, what features you need (auxes/busses/groups etc) and of course your budget
thanks mate gonna check this more in details
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Lost Tech | Rogue Ai

Just made this 100% live and hardware analog/digital

What do you guys think?
Nice.Id like to hear this on pirate radio cruising in the middle of the night through the outskirts of a big city.If it was on vinyl id probably slow it down a touch.Yeah good.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

wow indeed.. this is a techno appreciation thread.. nobody claimed it was cutting edge, quite the contrary actually.. if you're not into it just ignore it and go look elsewhere, no need to diss/be aggressive or spam us with your "cutting edge" bs wtf..
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Lost Tech | Rogue Ai

Just made this 100% live and hardware analog/digital

What do you guys think?
Feeling this!
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Lets be fair guys.Techno does nor actually exist.Its a name given to a technological music variety made popular in the 80 s by dons like 'Magic' Juan Atkins et all.He actually named it which is also backed up by Marshal Jefferson on this actual forum recently.Nobody owns it (the name association)except Juan i guess and i can only imagine hed say its whatever you funkin want it to be lol.Just dont be messin around being all uptight.Flow......
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
Feeling this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Nice.Id like to hear this on pirate radio cruising in the middle of the night through the outskirts of a big city.If it was on vinyl id probably slow it down a touch.Yeah good.

Thanks!
MrTechno
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lets be fair guys.Techno does nor actually exist.Its a name given to a technological music variety made popular in the 80 s by dons like 'Magic' Juan Atkins et all.He actually named it which is also backed up by Marshal Jefferson on this actual forum recently.Nobody owns it (the name association)except Juan i guess and i can only imagine hed say its whatever you funkin want it to be lol.Just dont be messin around being all uptight.Flow......
So it's imaginary then lol.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
wow indeed.. this is a techno appreciation thread.. nobody claimed it was cutting edge, quite the contrary actually.. if you're not into it just ignore it and go look elsewhere, no need to diss/be aggressive or spam us with your "cutting edge" bs wtf..
One last question, was the Crystal Method considered "Techno"?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
because it had little to do with Techno and it wasn't much of a track, more an ADD inspired Rave recreation where by the halfway mark I was feeling a bit ill ...(and right about now I'm hoping that wasn't your personal video)
Like if you couldn't notice that my signature and the video are the same?

Anyway, to answer your criticism: Who ever said it was a track? Did you read the description? It's three diskettes I created in the early '90s and found in a box after 20 years, they are the real deal from that era, and I was simply improvising on the spot trying to remember the original finger assignments (which I couldn't do 100%).

Geez. Why all this hate on GearSlutz??
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm loving all things German at the moment.

Did someone mention drum machines?

Thats what I'm talking about.

I love the New Techno thread.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Cut View Post
I'm loving all things German at the moment.

Did someone mention drum machines?

Thats what I'm talking about.

I love the New Techno thread.
I used the ER-1 on that track I linked above.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like if you couldn't notice that my signature and the video are the same? .....
and no.. I didn't notice but I considered about checking before commenting, however decided to not censor myself. I do apologize for the tactlessness.

Quote:
this is true, but Techno does have a meaning and a history and the problem comes when many misappropriate it as a synonym for electronic dance music.

Quote:
One last question, was the Crystal Method considered "Techno"?
no they weren't, unless you count the previously mentioned misappropriation.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used the ER-1 on that track I linked above.
and that track linked above is pretty good. I let it play through and enjoyed the experience.

I noticed the tags on the track and the "drum and bass", "idm", etc.. seem a bit out of place, but the "Iowa" tag caught my eye, not something one sees very often. where in the state are you located?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
more acid house / dance, kind of music that were played in legendary goa parties in the begining of the 90s.
That has ZERO to do with Acid House or Goa.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
and that track linked above is pretty good. I let it play through and enjoyed the experience.

I noticed the tags on the track and the "drum and bass", "idm", etc.. seem a bit out of place, but the "Iowa" tag caught my eye, not something one sees very often. where in the state are you located?
Those tags are not for the track but the artist tags. I also make drum and bass and other electronic genres, it's just that bandcamp puts it on everything.

Anyway, I live in a small town in the northeast part of the state attending a small university called Upper Iowa University. (I graduate next semester)

I wish I lived in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Des Moines area as there is a much better electronic music seen there. Vinyl even. I found a local techno/house release when out shopping for records in that area.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
That has ZERO to do with Acid House or Goa.
not really acid yes but similar/ inspired from that pre goa trance sound.

this is a classic, its very close, just less commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JwVeBcG40
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So it's imaginary then lol.
Does a name describe a thing or an idea of a thing?Does a thing exist?what is a thing?is techno a thing?answers on a postcard....

Quote:
this is true, but Techno does have a meaning and a history and the problem comes when many misappropriate it as a synonym for electronic dance music.
Who describes/defines the boundries?This could cause fractions and undermine a sublime force of electronic abstract music.To discus or define 'techno' is a paradox is it not?Intellectualise techno?Lets just say it means different things to different people.If Derrick may was here im sure he would have his own opinion.lol Id personally like to hear anybodys techno music thats in this thread.Fire away and ill listen and give my opinion
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I feel exactly like Paradox. That track doesn't move at all. It's okay to have energy, and repetitiveness... but .. come one, you have to have some hook, something... that hooks you - either interesting hook, or interesting sounds. That track offers neither.

Quote:

Actually allot of techno was just that and still is the same note playing over over and over again..........listen to most of the classic stuff from back in the day by Robert Hood..it was a one note chord being pitched, that is all.
Minimal Techno is very repetitive... but then you should specify that this thread is about Minimal Techno a la PlastikMan or Robert Hood... there's a big difference.

Is this thread about Techno, or about Minimal Techno?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does a name describe a thing or an idea of a thing?Does a thing exist?what is a thing?is techno a thing?answers on a postcard....

Who describes/defines the boundries?This could cause fractions and undermine a sublime force of electronic abstract music.To discus or define 'techno' is a paradox is it not?Intellectualise techno?Lets just say it means different things to different people.If Derrick may was here im sure he would have his own opinion.lol Id personally like to hear anybodys techno music thats in this thread.Fire away and ill listen and give my opinion
Generally I find most music people present as techno that isn't to be horrible. It's unfortunate that the term "techno" has been bastardized to the point that it stands for the most generic pos electronic music created and some of the highest art electronic music created. It's almost poetic and pathetic at the same time.

Now I will always refer to techno as "proper techno" when talking to others so as to differentiate from the filth.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

My good friend in Goa is a techno dj from Berlin of the minimal genre.His msuc is certainly currant minimal techno but is not at all like Rob Hood or plasticman.That seems to be the old stuff.Things are moving quickly and changing.They were the early guys.No names just sound and parties grooving.From what ive witnessed its not all ableton lamo packs either
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Minimal techno is one aspect of proper techno. Rave samples are not techno though. Crystal method is not techno. Mobie is not techno. There will be opinion within proper techno as to what is good or bad as with all art but rave samples are not techno.

Now if you want to say "yes this is techno" certainly that's your right to bastardized the term. Just like the term Kobe beef has been bastardized and Chablis has been bastardized. Those who use those terms are either unaware of what is proper or they just don't care.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search