The NEW TECHNO Thread
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

I am from the french thread, sorry for being intrusive. Is the song below techno? Some sub-genre specifically? It is really fun.

Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowbie View Post
I am from the french thread, sorry for being intrusive. Is the song below techno? Some sub-genre specifically? It is really fun.

more acid house / dance, kind of music that were played in legendary goa parties in the begining of the 90s.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
more acid house / dance, kind of music that were played in legendary goa parties in the begining of the 90s
so what was it...the users get banned if not suggesting techno (since the thread title changed even NEW techno)?!

Lots of stuff to wade through in this thread, thankings!
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
So where's the "new" techno in this thread? Personally I prefer darker flavours, more industrial.

I wanted this thread to be everything Techno new and old I dont care
It is about us uniting as one and discussing it all with out the riff raff.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

May as well chime in here so I can join in the discussion.

I still DJ a bit although used to play out a lot more (used to run a couple of techno nights in Liverpool too). Will be playing on the Cognition online radio show next Thursday (13th) if anyone's interested.

I haven't bought any records in a few years to be honest. Most of my cash goes on the production-side of things now. I have a lot of my favourite records anyway and although there are probably some good tunes being released now, I'd rather create stuff myself these days. Had my debut vinyl release "Sub Space EP" out on Orbis Records a few weeks ago, which I'm ridiculously happy about.

I love the oldschool techno.. especially the Detroit stuff, as well as the old UK/Berlin techno.... Rob Hood, Jeff Mills, UR, Carl Craig, Derrick May, Eddie Fowlkes, Pacou, DJ T-1000, Planetary Assault Systems, Scan 7, Surgeon, Regis. Consequently the stuff I make tends to have an oldschool Detroity feel to it. Also just bought an MPC to produce completely OTB like they used to in the good 'ol days. Ableton can take a hike to be honest... only using it as a tape recorder and minor editing if required. I prefer my techno to be raw anyway so it seemed like a natural way to go.

Soundcloud link in my signature if you want a listen.

Will post up some of my favourite tunes in a bit.
Good work for starting a techno thread. It's about time .

Cheers,
Binny
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourmant View Post
MrTechno

Do you have some pics of your setup?
What would you like to see?

I have many pics.
I ain't a show of though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
This is ****ing good bro.

Hey buddy.

Post links to what you consider "new techno".

I just want to know what were's talking about.
This to me is the new Techno even though some of it has been around a while. Sounds awesome on a lazy Sunday afternoon and in the club...

Conforce - Grace - YouTube

Skudge - Pollution - YouTube

Biomusik - Zauberer - YouTube

I love many styles of Techno, it does not have to be just Detroit for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post

I still DJ a bit although used to play out a lot more (used to run a couple of techno nights in Liverpool too). Will be playing on the Cognition online radio show next Thursday (13th) if anyone's interested.

I haven't bought any records in a few years to be honest. Most of my cash goes on the production-side of things now. I have a lot of my favourite records anyway and although there are probably some good tunes being released now, I'd rather create stuff myself these days. Had my debut vinyl release "Sub Space EP" out on Orbis Records a few weeks ago, which I'm ridiculously happy about.

I love the oldschool techno.. especially the Detroit stuff, as well as the old UK/Berlin techno.... Rob Hood, Jeff Mills, UR, Carl Craig, Derrick May, Eddie Fowlkes, Pacou, DJ T-1000, Planetary Assault Systems, Scan 7, Surgeon, Regis. Consequently the stuff I make tends to have an oldschool Detroity feel to it. Also just bought an MPC to produce completely OTB like they used to in the good 'ol days. Ableton can take a hike to be honest... only using it as a tape recorder and minor editing if required. I prefer my techno to be raw anyway so it seemed like a natural way to go.

Cheers,
Binny
Great to hear you are finishing tracks. I have not finished a track in over 12 months.

I think it is time I get down to business and finish something finally.
Great to hear you like the techno flow.
There is indeed allot of good stuff coming out, my links above are of some of the newer stuff I like. I called it dark infused Techno however it has enough to still keep your head nodding and your feet shuffling to the groove.

I think It was time for us to unite on here and discuss this stuff with out the usual riff raff and include everything techno instead of a thread just on Detroit.
We need to remember that we are moving forward also and whilst it is good to stick with what you love it is also very important to support the other new techno otherwise it will not flourish. We need to support all techno I say.
I have much respect for all cats producing the stuff even if they are new to the genre it does not matter, it is about uniting and supporting each other because it is where the heart is at and that is techno.

I remember back in the day if you rocking beats with just a 909 and putting your heart in it that was all you needed....you do not need much to create great sounding techno except some heart and a passion for the music........
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So where's the "new" techno in this thread?
my exact response to the moderation that altered the thread title which now makes this seem as if it is stressing some sub-genre call "New Techno" Nu techno? ..or asking about new Techno, which up until this point it was about classic proper Techno.
Quote:
Personally I prefer darker flavours, more industrial.
me too. Industrial is essentially my music center and what I found most appealing about Techno was the Industrial influence that was apparent in artists like Jeff Mills and Surgeon. ClockDVA is a personal favorite and to me they were the embodiment of this aesthetic, although not what I would call Techno.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
This to me is the new Techno even though some of it has been around a while. Sounds awesome on a lazy Sunday afternoon and in the club...

Conforce - Grace - YouTube

Skudge - Pollution - YouTube

Biomusik - Zauberer - YouTube

I love many styles of Techno, it does not have to be just Detroit for me..
thanks for posting those MrT.. Holland & Italy have definitely been killing it lately here in europe...it's actually funny you mention that those sound good on a sunday afternoon as I was actually at Rush Hour b-day all day after party last sunday here in Paris where Antal & San Proper were repping Dutch productions hard.. honestly one of the best parties i been to in a while
Old 5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
thanks for posting those MrT.. Holland & Italy have definitely been killing it lately here in europe...it's actually funny you mention that those sound good on a sunday afternoon as I was actually at Rush Hour b-day all day after party last sunday here in Paris where Antal & San Proper were repping Dutch productions hard.. honestly one of the best parties i been to in a while
the dutch have always been excellent at making techno. i love the old steve rachmad stuff (actually had him to play at my night but we only had about 15 paying customers.. eek.. one to forget). got a signed copy of organa out of it though .

i really like some of the stuff produced by ritzi lee and jeroen search.

Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

Cheers,
Binny
Well you did nail that techno sound.
Enjoyed Ancient design.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing View Post
Well you did nail that techno sound.
Enjoyed Ancient design.
thanks mate, much appreciated
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i really like some of the stuff produced by ritzi lee and jeroen search.

nice tune

listening your soundcloud ,i like a lot your sound ! sunday detroit live jam, dark space.. fantastic
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
more acid house / dance, kind of music that were played in legendary goa parties in the begining of the 90s.

Yes this is pretty close to what kind of techno that I want to make.....I've been listening to old mixsets from Goa 1987-1990, like Swiss Rudi and Laurent (not Laurent Garnier). It's all a mishmash of KLF, chris and cosey, front line assembly/Skinny mixed into really camp italo-hinrg like Fancy/Den Harrow/Sandy Morton. Such a shame that all of that transformed into 'psytrance'.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
Yes this is pretty close to what kind of techno that I want to make.....I've been listening to old mixsets from Goa 1987-1990, like Swiss Rudi and Laurent (not Laurent Garnier). It's all a mishmash of KLF, chris and cosey, front line assembly/Skinny mixed into really camp italo-hinrg like Fancy/Den Harrow/Sandy Morton. Such a shame that all of that transformed into 'psytrance'.
i agree, i don't know it much but i love the pre goa trance sound and would like to make some too i was too young to enjoy these years but now i would kill to time travel back to that time
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
nice tune

listening your soundcloud ,i like a lot your sound ! sunday detroit live jam, dark space.. fantastic
thankyou . the live jam was my first attempt at a new way of creating techno without the pc... just hit record and mess with the 909/sampler, muting channels on the mixer as i go. i think that a lot of the feeling is lost these days with music in general... the tunes are polished and sound "perfect" although this isn't what makes a good tune. mr. mills proved that perfection isn't required to make excellent techno and nothing really compares to his unique and raw production style. it took me a while to realise this but i got there eventually.

might go and play x102 - discovers the rings of saturn when the football's finished actually. bloody love that album.

Old 5th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
another two from that time were Clock DVA and Psychic TV...I remember their video sets being the first Id seen...all felt groundbreaking at the time even if the music wasnt necessarily

Twitch & Brainstorm were playing much of the same pre-Pure in Edinburgh...fantastic club in the late 80's, cant even remember its name (wonder why)...though Pure was pretty excellent too
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
thankyou . the live jam was my first attempt at a new way of creating techno without the pc... just hit record and mess with the 909/sampler, muting channels on the mixer as i go. i think that a lot of the feeling is lost these days with music in general... the tunes are polished and sound "perfect" although this isn't what makes a good tune. mr. mills proved that perfection isn't required to make excellent techno and nothing really compares to his unique and raw production style. it took me a while to realise this but i got there eventually.
i m thinking to go back hardware rig too, it fit some techno like a glove, this music mouse in the hand in front of a computer ,nah i find it a lot more fun mouving/dancing in front of the gears , using them like instruments tweaking knobs.

what cheap console would be well suited for this?
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Can someone point me in the direction of getting a lo-fi sound like this? Really been looking for this sound. Tried saturation, Sherman filterbank but not nailed this - got lots of ugly fuzz though. What sort of tools turn clean into this?

Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
Can someone point me in the direction of getting a lo-fi sound like this? Really been looking for this sound. Tried saturation, Sherman filterbank but not nailed this - got lots of ugly fuzz though. What sort of tools turn clean into this?

As soon as anyone mentions lofi, I instantly think akai s900/950. Makes everything sound gritty, especially at lower sampling rates. The d16 plugins are good too.. decimort/devastor. Sound doesn't work on my laptop so can't actually give the track a listen at the moment :/
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i m thinking to go back hardware rig too, it fit some techno like a glove, this music mouse in the hand in front of a computer ,nah i find it a lot more fun mouving/dancing in front of the gears , using them like instruments tweaking knobs.

what cheap console would be well suited for this?
i've got a soundcraft gb2r 16-channel rackmount mixer. cost about £330 on ebay second-hand.
basically the same as the allen & heath mixwizard, but a bit cheaper.

Soundcraft - [Products]

I like it but I wish it had some subgroups for bussing drums.
I did lots of research before buying a mixer and to be honest, if i had the room I'd get a second-hand Soundtracs Topaz/Project 8 or a Soundcraft Delta. They're both supposed to be excellent and can be bought for £150-250 quite easily on ebay.

As always though, it depends on how many channels you want, how much space you need, what features you need (auxes/busses/groups etc) and of course your budget
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah sweet will post some more and hopefully a link to some of my stuff soon.
Look out as on the weekend I am going to upload some of those techno sounds for the other cats.
Old 5th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowbie View Post
I can't tell the sub sub-genre's apart either. Is this techno?

Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

please do a minimum research before posting random ish, a simple wiki check will give you the genres... in this case it's: hip-hop / rave / zef ( Die Antwoord )
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Why would it be a joke? And why are you being so arrogant?
honestly, I thought that three W-30 vid was a joke as well.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
The track that made me a fan of Funkagenda....and on Twitter, he's hilarious.
Old 6th December 2012

Quote:
please do a minimum research before posting random ish, a simple wiki check will give you the genres... in this case it's: hip-hop / rave / zef ( Die Antwoord )
Lol, I don't care what "Wiki" says, I was asking the foum.

So are you saying all new techno sounds like minimal nonsense a 12 year old could program?
Old 6th December 2012
Top Gear addict

Quote:
So where's the "new" techno in this thread? Personally I prefer darker flavours, more industrial.

wow that's ****ing amazing
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Lol, I don't care what "Wiki" says, I was asking the foum.

So are you saying all new techno sounds like minimal nonsense a 12 year old could program?
whatever dude... die antwoord isn't techno.. move on
Old 6th December 2012
Ham
Gear addict

i quite like the stuff this guy's making. got an oldschool vibe to it. nice and droney.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search