New Reply
Subscribe
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
sorry.. it's not 'official'. so doesn't count.

OP: you obviously make banging techno, we don't care how famous you are: play us some of your choons bro!
Yes my plan is to certainly post some stuff up soon.
Not yet though as I am working on some new tracks, soon though I plan on putting a link to on my signature to allow you cats to listen...
Stay tuned...
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Not really into techno like I use to be, but I mostly like the Detroit stuff. I was also into the stuff coming out of NYC and East Coast. Some favorites: Jeff Mills, Kenny Larkin, Carl Craig, Steve Stoll, Mark Gage, Surgeon, Basic Channel, Frankie Bones, Orlando Voorn.

These days, house is the only dance music I can really listen to at any time.

For anyone starting out and wanting to make techno, save up and get a Tempest and learn as much as possible on how to use it. It will give everything you need to learn how to program beats and program your own synth sounds.
are you sure that the tempest is a techno machine? everytime i visit somebody in the studio that has it, the tempest put out some weard snurgeling rhytmic background stuff but i never have heard id pumpin and kicking sofar... maybe it can do that too..just makes me a little curious why people tend using it for atmospheric weard percussion stuff and not for beats..

any explanation?

beside that there are many cheap machines that are good for techno.. techno actually likes almost any drum machine.. electribes can be cool too..
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenears View Post
Mr Techno, you have a tacit obligation to report anyone who posts about non-techno in this thread.
Yes I plan on banning ayone who talks about Dubstep, Trance and those not using Presets...lol
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Not really into techno like I use to be, but I mostly like the Detroit stuff.
These days, house is the only dance music I can really listen to at any time.

For anyone starting out and wanting to make techno, save up and get a Tempest and learn as much as possible on how to use it. It will give everything you need to learn how to program beats and program your own synth sounds.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Banned

is it a problem to be younger than the genre you are writing in? does that make you to some kind of teddy boy in the 70´s ? and you do technobilly?
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
well, I am not too good on styles, but I really LOVED that octave one album "collective". And the 4/4 style stuff of Aphex Twin or whatever he called himself. Lots of older music I listened back then was on "tapes" we handed around and they are all dead now. maybe good so i can live in the illusion that we had great taste!

Gear wise, I love them ALL! :lol

I usually overfuss on sonics and tweakings as well but unfortunately it even sounds shyte afterwards. So I am trying to go into the other direction and just move on and learn from mistakes rather than spending so long on an element that it will take a year until I will come across the same situation again...and will probably not remember ;-).
My man this can be a problem when you fuss over your stuff to much. Good to hear you are trying to let go.
This is cetainly something I am always working on, just learning to let go and move on with making tracks.
I have not made a track in 12 months...however It still has been a great 12 months in terms of what I have achieved though.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012

The last time I was "absorbed" in techno was when I heard this band for the first time:

And this one:

Recoil-The Defector
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Hey! I'm from the original Techno school, and I already have a thread:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...no-thread.html

That said, I like the same stuff used in the early 90s: W-30, TR-909, and TB-303 , S1000, MPC-60 etc.

I'm not super familiar with the newer gear like Elektron ... for me, give me three Roland W-30s and I'll make you a rave!

Hey Mr Varaldo, by no means did I want to ruin the thread you started. I conducted what I thought was thorough search and nothing as such came up.
Ooops no harm intended.
BM0
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
are you sure that the tempest is a techno machine? everytime i visit somebody in the studio that has it, the tempest put out some weard snurgeling rhytmic background stuff but i never have heard id pumpin and kicking sofar... maybe it can do that too..just makes me a little curious why people tend using it for atmospheric weard percussion stuff and not for beats..

any explanation?

beside that there are many cheap machines that are good for techno.. techno actually likes almost any drum machine.. electribes can be cool too..
You obviously missed my entire point of the recommendation. If you take the attitude that you need stuff like a TR-909, SH-101, TB-303 to make techno, than you don't get techno, or even music period. Do you think Derrick May was like, "I am going to make techno, so I need a TR-909?" Learn to make the best out of the tools that you can get your hands on. Once you learn the techniques, than you can explore other equipment. The Tempest provides everything you need and yes, it is fully capable of making techno. It has drums, synths, a sequencer and individual outputs.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
Nobody listens to techno, lets go!
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Minilogue, Extrawelt, MAx Cooper, Stephan Bodzin, Microtrauma,

Two of my fav songs lately:

5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
it can be used for many purposes but i think it's quite a good tool for techno..
it is heavily featured in these 2 tracks:

5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
for a st8 beat, thats dope!
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Do you think Derrick May was like, "I am going to make techno, so I need a TR-909?".
I wouldn't be surprised if he thought exactly those two thoughts and in that sequence to be honest. But that was those days - now it is different.

You are right - there are no limits to what you can use to make a banging raw techno sound. But some gears are going to take you there sooner however.

Personally, I love the rawer, darker, more psychedelic edge of Detroit minimalism but to be honest I wince from some of the sounds from those days when I hear modern artists using them religiously. Don't get me wrong - I put on a Hood or Drex album and the sounds are all right there and balanced and banging (and Drex just blows my mind production-wise...) but if you are going to make techno now PLEASE don't just give me those sounds AGAIN - I want no modern day homage! You can capture the soul of the thing with new sounds - let the sounds live on, organic and evolving. The whole thing about Detroit was it's edge - those sounds WERE the edge, then.

Compression is the key with this particular sound. And some grime in there won't hurt ya either.

Detroit is still where it's at for me. Not just techno but Dilla and modern day tech/drum.

Case in point - Waajeed.

https://soundcloud.com/jeedo47/scorpio-ft-chaos-ur043

https://soundcloud.com/jeedo47/jeedo-hood-tech
Yamaha CS-50, Chroma Polaris, ASol Tereshkova modular, Korg Poly61, Akai AX80, Roland SH-1000 & Juno 60, Ensoniq ESQ-1 & ASR-10 & EPS, Akai X7000, Elektron Octatrack, Roland S770, Genelec 8040a's and Focal CMS50s.

https://soundcloud.com/kotare/imade7-red-bull-beat-tape

https://soundcloud.com/kotare/gauze-ii-iv
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear nut

Are tracks with vocals considered techno ?

I'm quite into the stuff xanax just posted. Was the Tempest used for synth sounds on those ?

Here's a track i like :

MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah I have the usual Techno Kit
With the likes of the TB 303 Roland 808 and 909 plus the usual Junos and what not....
And comparing the Tempest to these machines I would say yes it most certainly a very capable techno machine.
Look out in the next few days as I am about to post some Tempest audio files for a few cats here who have requested them.
BM0
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTARE View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he thought exactly those two thoughts and in that sequence to be honest. But that was those days - now it is different.
Maybe... but maybe he just found a cheap TR-909 drum machine and he programmed a dance beat into that just so happen to sound good on a large club sound system. 909's were real cheap at that time because the pros wanted digital samples.
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe... but maybe he just found a cheap TR-909 drum machine and he programmed a dance beat into that just so happen to sound good on a large club sound system. 909's were real cheap at that time because the pros wanted digital samples.
It is a fact that all the boys back in the Detroit scene all wanted an 909.
Man when this thing landed it was like the aliens had landed on earth.....
Many actually predicted this machine would make history, in fact I think it was May himself who said these exact words.....
The brother was right.
By the way My 909 belongs in a museum it is so clean.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
Hey Mr Varaldo, by no means did I want to ruin the thread you started. I conducted what I thought was thorough search and nothing as such came up.
Ooops no harm intended.
No worries I was just joking - hence the emoticons

There's no harm in opening more than one thread on music we like..

I take you guys are all younger though... I'm old school, using the old machines. I'm not familiar with the new gear like Elektron, although I'd love to try them some day.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a fact that all the boys back in the Detroit scene all wanted an 909.
Man when this thing landed it was like the aliens had landed on earth.....
Many actually predicted this machine would make history, in fact I think it was May himself who said these exact words.....
The brother was right.
By the way My 909 belongs in a museum it is so clean.
Sure makes for a more interesting story than, "oops, I accidentally found a cool drum machine for making dance music". Fact is someone must of realized that. Maybe that person should be credited for its popularity in techno. I highly doubt that 909 was created with dance music as being the target market.
MrTechno
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
No worries I was just joking - hence the emoticons

There's no harm in opening more than one thread on music we like..

I take you guys are all younger though... I'm old school, using the old machines. I'm not familiar with the new gear like Elektron, although I'd love to try them some day.
Hmm wouldnt say young...I should tell you I started on an MPC 60, and have the usual old techno kit
You know
tb303
the Juno's
MC 202
So on and so on
Also a MPC 3000 and 60

Quote:
Sure makes for a more interesting story than, "oops, I accidentally found a cool drum machine for making dance music". Fact is someone must of realized that. Maybe that person should be credited for its popularity in techno. I highly doubt that 909 was created with dance music as being the target market.
Would agree 100%, who would have anticipated such a simple machine would dominate EDM so much.

Becuase the truth is it has, not sure which other machine in EDM has dominated as much as the Roland 909...Could be wrong..
I would say the TB 303 Comes close maybe the 808 a little more with hip hop I would say.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012

Quote:
Would agree 100%, who would have anticipated such a simple machine would dominate EDM so much.

Becuase the truth is it has, not sure which other machine in EDM has dominated as much as the Roland 909...Could be wrong..
I would say the TB 303 Comes close maybe the 808 a little more with hip hop I would say.
All the best techno was made from "found" sounds. It really didn't matter where they came from, the only thing they had in common was a strong electronic kick.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

What is an EDM?
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
What is an EDM?
Erectile Dysfunction Medication?
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

2012 has been pretty good.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Erectile Dysfunction Medication?
Ah thank-you. Now I understand why there are so few women at techno parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
JEEZUS...I never realized how many whiny little c*nts there were on this site until the recent rounds of drum machine announcements.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

This should be called "the proper techno thread" Detroit / euro styles are proper techno per the coining of the term "techno" by a Detroit artist named juan atkins on "techno City"

detroit techno is now the new techno. lol. have fun guys
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012

I had to do something, and since there's new techno - and techniques being discussed in this one..... did you check the other thread?
ps: Juan Atkins is still fresh to my ears
3 hour set FACT Barcelona 2012
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
You obviously missed my entire point of the recommendation. If you take the attitude that you need stuff like a TR-909, SH-101, TB-303 to make techno, than you don't get techno, or even music period. Do you think Derrick May was like, "I am going to make techno, so I need a TR-909?" Learn to make the best out of the tools that you can get your hands on. Once you learn the techniques, than you can explore other equipment. The Tempest provides everything you need and yes, it is fully capable of making techno. It has drums, synths, a sequencer and individual outputs.
and is about the most expenisve tool on the market.. and you lay words in my mouth the only person mentioning a 909 here is you..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search