New Reply
Subscribe
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
One tune that I thought was pretty good recently:

Nice and simple but good mixing/production.
I like the panning on the riff too. Keeps it interesting.
Bet it sounds fantastic played ridiculously loud on a good soundsystem at 3am.

@MrTechno - also backs up your point that you only need a chord to make a techno tune.
come on... this thread is called new techno.. we came to old techno quickly..

and now we art at the usal old techno freshly released by another name?

sorry..an own riff and an own idea was once mandatory for a techno track.

to giving arilh brikahs track some ghoulisch basic chanel reverb dont qualifies as own composition

but ok..just listened to it..and its really too good to go by without beeing echoed.. i feel tempted ... realy great groove and sound design.and so simple..just a 909 and a nord.. thats a fine techno track.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

the thread is the latest instalment of the techno thread.. it's not just about new/recent techno. the mods changed the title of it.. just to make it confusing .
i'm up for listening to any good techno, new or old. i only really know about older stuff though. have been stuck in a production bubble for a couple of years and haven't bought any records in a while :/.

that mike huckaby track is nothing like the aril brikha track in all honesty mate.. not sure where you got that from. sure it's got a chord sound.. but that's about it. it's also a very recent release... not old .

aril's whole deeparture in time album is excellent though. essential listening for any discerning techno bod.
it've got this one knocking about somewhere on vinyl:

15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
the thread is the latest instalment of the techno thread.. it's not just about new/recent techno. the mods changed the title of it.. just to make it confusing .
i'm up for listening to any good techno, new or old. i only really know about older stuff though. have been stuck in a production bubble for a couple of years and haven't bought any records in a while :/.

that mike huckaby track is nothing like the aril brikha track in all honesty mate.. not sure where you got that from. sure it's got a chord sound.. but that's about it. it's also a very recent release... not old .

recent release or not..its nothing new ,sounds totally 90´s..it starts as a basic channel refference and turns into the brikah groove.. not very good when your record sounds like other tracks.. that means you sound like other people.....It strongly refferences the brikah track.. dont you hear it behind that track? the feel? "it sings in the background".. same groove and even the arrangement seems to have the original in mind.. just without any special treat to the sound design.. probably sample based ..

intentionally or not, the huckaby track dont qualifies as genuine techno track. Beside the lack of an own new riff or sound... techno is syntheziser music.. thats a big part of it.. Even on tracks that are 100% done ion a sampler you will see that most of the sounds originated from a synth.. modulation is big part of techno that keep the otherwise too repetitive phrases alive..
Thats part of the genre as the wobble is part of dubstep..

a real techno track in the original sense is allways touching some new ground, .. has an identity ..is an icon of itself.. is a statement.

everything else are just tools and bridges.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
sure its nothing new...its a copy of the brikah track.. dont you hear it behind that track? the feel? "it sings in the background"..

intentionally or not, the huckaby track dont qualifies as genuine techno track.

a real techno track is allways touching some new ground.. has an identity ..is an icon of itself.. is a statement

everything else are just tools and bridges
i don't hear it. different arrangement, different effects, different kick/percussion, different track. sure it's based around the similar idea of a chord driving the track but thats about it.

something doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be a geniune or good techno track. suggesting so is just a bit silly in all honesty mate. sorry

besides, a time comes when djs just can't play these so-called "icons" any more because they're so overplayed.
i can't bring myself to play strings of life, the bells, energy flash and groove la chord is not far off.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
i don't hear it. different arrangement, different effects, different kick/percussion, different track. sure it's based around the similar idea of a chord driving the track but thats about it.

something doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be a geniune or good techno track. suggesting so is just a bit silly in all honesty mate. sorry

besides, a time comes when djs just can't play these so-called "icons" any more because they're so overplayed.
i can't bring myself to play strings of life, the bells, energy flash and groove la chord is not far off.
dj´s love tools.. many of them dont even realize other tracks than tools.. others never touch a tool and just play the pearls of the last decades..
booth can be fun..

but that you dont hear the similarity is funny.. but maybe you need a trained ear to trace the refferences in others work..

You need that as a producer to guide musicans and yourself to a more original production. Especially dj´s act often a bit dumb when it comes to trace the source of theire ideas.. 2 times theese guys tricked me allready and smuggled 1:1 take overs of lines into one of my productions without me getting it.. dont even thinking 1 second about that you avoid taken riffs and vocals as you would avoid choosing an allready taken artist name..

the concept of genuine music creation is alien to many of them..
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
i sure it's based around the similar idea of a chord driving the track
a bit very similar when the groove is allmost identical..is that the only way a chord can drive a groove or is that just the best way he had in memory to do that?

as i sayed earlier.. the brikah groove is soo good that one might feel tempted to allow it to slip in.. i can understand that.. but the result is in any case not the illusive new techno the thread was originally about.. its a recent release but a late 90´s sound.. not exactly fresh or brilliant.

There are some cool new tracks.. at least i ve heard some really great ones within the last 2 years... not as many as 5-8 years ago..quality is getting down right now as it looks.. but when i would know the names i would at least have 3-5 pieces that are recent and good enough to compete with older mnaster pieces,, or real techno tracks.. because the standard is so low any really good track can be considered as a masterpiece..
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

it's time this thread got deeeeeep!!!!

best of the new guys imo
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
a bit very similar when the groove is allmost identical..
The groove is complete different. Groove la chord has a housey, uplifting feel. The Tresor record is dubby and stomping. Pannebar vs. Berghain.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
come on... this thread is called new techno.. we came to old techno quickly..

and now we art at the usal old techno freshly released by another name?

sorry..an own riff and an own idea was once mandatory for a techno track.

to giving arilh brikahs track some ghoulisch basic chanel reverb dont qualifies as own composition

but ok..just listened to it..and its really too good to go by without beeing echoed.. i feel tempted ... realy great groove and sound design.and so simple..just a 909 and a nord.. thats a fine techno track.

what about this version

15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
a bit very similar when the groove is allmost identical..is that the only way a chord can drive a groove or is that just the best way he had in memory to do that?

as i sayed earlier.. the brikah groove is soo good that one might feel tempted to allow it to slip in.. i can understand that.. but the result is in any case not the illusive new techno the thread was originally about.. its a recent release but a late 90´s sound.. not exactly fresh or brilliant.
i didn't say it was fresh or brilliant. i just said it was pretty good and would *sound* excellent at 3am on a loud soundsystem because it's very well-produced and mixed. which it would. if i heard it played in a club i'd enjoy it. i doubt i'd hear anyone saying "ooh i wish this didn't have the same groove as that aril brikha track.. what a rip-off".

in any case, we disagree... doesn't matter.
lets move on and post up some tunes people!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeOnMercy View Post
what about this version

that's a rip-off and then some.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

MrTechno
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tend not to buy too many full albums/compilations as they cost a lot of cash on vinyl and I never think it's worth it for the 1 or 2 really good tracks on there. However, there are some exceptions:

Aril Brikha - Deeparture In Time
Tresor True Spirit Vol. 1 & 2 (There's also a CD verison with more tracks)
Regis - Adolescence: The Complete Recordings
Robert Hood - Nigttime World Vol. 1 & 2

I also like some of the tracks on Pacou - State of Mind album, especially "Fuel". It's all very Millsy.

You heard any Christian Bloch stuff? Not up-to-date with his new stuff but check out the releases between 1999 and 2001 on Simple Muzik, Funque Droppings and LL Records:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Christian+Bloch

PROPER proper minimal shit.

If you're after seriously minimal stuff, the Sahko label is worth a look. Very stripped-down techno.
Hey buddy..... no I have not heard any of the Bloch stuff. So much music so little time and like you I am stuck in a production bubble at the moment. I get on GS during breakfast for an hour then maybe a little at night then I am back in the studio.

It has been a long while since I created anything so I am working towards this.
Agree Vinyl is expensive and I would rarely ever buy an album on Vinyl. Most the stuff I am getting at the moment is on digital download as I have no time to go purchasing vinyl..........notice how time keeps coming up here Time is always an issue.

Robert Hood is awesome and love his stuff!
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

Actually an R8 and SQ-80
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
it's time this thread got deeeeeep!!!!

Holy shit. This tune....
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

anyone seen this yet?

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer View Post
Actually an R8 and SQ-80
and an MPC... oh, and it doesn't to be the SQ-80, it can be an ESQ.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Nah, Aril himself has confirmed that it's the SQ-80. He used it on just about everything from that era, AFAIK.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
But allot of the stuff was beyond that tempo......more like 135 plus.
Juan nailed that sound as always...
Most of the 90's stuff was at higher tempos then today, and what I call Detroit sound was certainly not being played or produced at 120/125 but hey there was also plenty of Detroit stuff being released so I am sure some stuff came through at lower tempos
Back in the 90's DJ's played faster, so something like Kaos or Nude Photo would be at a much faster tempo than the original recorded tempo. Back when he played at The Shelter in Detroit Richie Hawtin was known for pitching records up to +8.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Nah, Aril himself has confirmed that it's the SQ-80. He used it on just about everything from that era, AFAIK.
it's the same sound. i believe at the last DEMF he played he had an ESQ-M in his rack.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Robert Hood is awesome and love his stuff
+1 on Rob Hood, and Sahko label is awesome as well... real minimal!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Can we share our own (relevant) stuff here?

This tune came about after listing to a lot of tech jazz type stuff ala UR, Ian O'Brien, etc, and being inspired to try and play with some chords.

http://soundcloud.com/sciencedepartment/untitled
This is wonderful stuff reminds me of Vince Watsons stuff
MrTechno
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaudio View Post
+1 on Rob Hood, and Sahko label is awesome as well... real minimal!
Really like Rob however the last album sounded rather clean for me?
He has certainly changed something.
Not sure what it is, well I do but would hate to start a war on here.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
This is wonderful stuff reminds me of Vince Watsons stuff
Thank you! Vince has definitely been one of my prevailing influences. He definitely doesn't get as much exposure as he deserves.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really like Rob however the last album sounded rather clean for me?
He has certainly changed something.
Not sure what it is, well I do but would hate to start a war on here.
exceptionally well produced album. it sounds clean and perfect, but it's altogether not that interesting in my opinion. i was a little disappointed with it.

it's quite obviously been rehearsed, tweaked and processed to the n'th degree. which means it doesn't have the same feeling as hood's better tracks.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

I agree on Hoods most recent Nighttime LP, it has good moments and I'm sure it will grow on me, but it's not anywhere near his best.

Terrence Dixon's most recent album sounds really good so far though.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Thank you! Vince has definitely been one of my prevailing influences. He definitely doesn't get as much exposure as he deserves.
Yes, 'The eMotion Sequence' album is such a highly underrated work of soulful techno that no-one seems to have heard. I remember hearing 'Mystical Rhythm' in a Mr C set at a club around '99 - very significant moment in time for me.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreltch View Post
Yes, 'The eMotion Sequence' album is such a highly underrated work of soulful techno that no-one seems to have heard. I remember hearing 'Mystical Rhythm' in a Mr C set at a club around '99 - very significant moment in time for me.
I've heard it, if that counts . Mystical rhythm is one of my favourite deep techno tunes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search