Help choosing between MophoX4 & Vermona MKII
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Help choosing between MophoX4 & Vermona MKII

Hey everyone,

So, I've been eying these babies, and I'm stuck making the final decision. Here's the list I've come up with so far. I'd really appreciate your advice on choosing the right one.

Mopho X4.
Vermona Perfourmer Mk II.
Elecktron Analog Four.

I'm not too bothered about a keyboard or presets per se. I would like something that has a nice sequencer, and that can do good old fat bass. That kinda' excludes the 'Perfourmer' as it doesn't have a sequencer, but I really like the sound... And the 'Poly' for the mopho is a bonus. Hmmm.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

Personally i think the Perfourmer MKII sounds beautiful & epic. I'll be getting one at Christmas or new year. I've not used a Mopho or the A4 (obviously) i've heard demos but whilst the Mopho 4 & A4 offer more versatility in making a broader range of sounds (& of course seq aspects) i think the Perfourmer MKII outclasses both tone wise. I think the Vermona has a real boutique character/vibe & i think the Mopho / A4 sound a little sterile, imo.

Versatility Versus Class.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

agree with futurethought. the perfourmer sounds superb and the interface is a dream
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

agreed as well, i just tried a perfourmer mkII today actually and was totally amazed by the rich texture & sound, and yea the layout is crazy!!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Humanoid View Post
I'm not too bothered about a keyboard or presets per se. I would like something that has a nice sequencer, and that can do good old fat bass. That kinda' excludes the 'Perfourmer' as it doesn't have a sequencer, but I really like the sound... And the 'Poly' for the mopho is a bonus. Hmmm.
The sequencer in the Mopho x4 is a pain to use from the keyboard (better in the editor). I think you'll do well with the A4.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Can you use a normal midi keyboard to control all four voices on the MK2?
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

vermona is awesome!
Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Can you use a normal midi keyboard to control all four voices on the MK2?
Yes but here's some info on the play modes.

M1: monophonic, unison. Massive 4 VCO / 4 VCF / 4 VCA / 4 EG / 4 LFO sounds. Inspiring.
M2: monophonic, sequential. Each incoming MIDI note alternates between the four synthesizer channels. This brings back memories of the Korg Mono/Poly arpeggiator.
D1: duophonic, alternating. Synthesizer 1/2 and 3/4 are connected (two synthesizers, each with 2 VCOs, 2 LFOs, 2 VCFs. 2 VCA und 2 EG). Each incoming MIDI note alternates between the 1st and 2nd synthesizer.
D2: duophonic, 2-voiced. Enables simple polyphonic playing with both synthesizers playing simultaneously.
P1: polyphonic, 4-voiced. Extremely attractive: 4 independent voices, that means 4 independent timbres sound polyphonically. Here the PERfourMER „remembers“ the timbre (sound channel) of once-played notes.
P2: polyphonic, 4-voiced. But contrary to P1 the sound channels are not habitually linked to incoming MIDI notes. The PERfourMER simply plays the next „free“ sound channel.

From this review:
Vermona PERfourMER MKII – the new Four-Voice? | GreatSynthesizers
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

or if you just want to add a little Vermona magic to a Mopho or Analog Four setup.

Sorry Rob, you did of course say you already like the Perfourmer sound, just wanted to add some examples for people who might not be familiar.
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Wow! Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I've been mad to get a perfourmer ever since I checked out the mono lancet. I loved the buttery sound of it, but I really wanted something with at least 3 Osc - For that big bass sound with a sub underneath it.

There's a few demos that I've not seen, so thanks again for those. I think it's looking like a perfourmer at this stage.
Old 4th December 2012
Gear addict

For the price of a Perfourmer I'd grab the Elektron and a Lancet.
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
For the price of a Perfourmer I'd grab the Elektron and a Lancet.
That's true... It's just that the mono lancet is missing a few features that I really want.

If I didn't love the sound of the those demos - I'd definitely go for the Elektron or Mopho, and save a nice few quid.

The damn perfurmer sounds too good!
Old 7th December 2012
Gear interested

Well, I ordered the Vermona form Thomann about 3 hours ago!
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congrats! Nice synth - and it honestly sounds a LOT better than the Mopho IMO. My studio buddy has decided to get one, so I'm looking forward to spending some time with it myself.
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm so jealous, this thing is at the top of my list right now. It costs a lot so I gotta save up. Give us a review and/or demo please, and enjoy your new instrument!
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

I really dont get the perfourmer. 4 single Osc voices - so you got either an over-specced mono synth or a 4 voice single Osc under specced poly...

Id get a Tetra with a MIDI knob box, and a Mono Lancet.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear nut

whoa, lancet/perfourmer sound great! nice healthy analog sound.. might grab me one
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I really dont get the perfourmer. 4 single Osc voices - so you got either an over-specced mono synth or a 4 voice single Osc under specced poly...
Or a dual-osc 2-voice synth.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear addict

I had a mk1 several years ago. It was a nice synth but so difficult to find where things were since all the knobs were the same metal color and the same distance apart (the early version) etc. They were significantly cheaper at that time also. Anyway, if I had the scratch I'd try it again. I'd be more interested in the new Elektron and Lancet combo though for the $ (not to beat a dead horse haha).
Old 8th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Congrats! Nice synth - and it honestly sounds a LOT better than the Mopho IMO. My studio buddy has decided to get one, so I'm looking forward to spending some time with it myself.
Cool, good to know I made the right choice (thanks to the GSs help!)... I can't wait for it to arrive now. I'll be living on beans for several months after, and my GF won't be too pleased. But for analog sound I'll endure any pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan View Post
I'm so jealous, this thing is at the top of my list right now. It costs a lot so I gotta save up. Give us a review and/or demo please, and enjoy your new instrument!
Will do... I'll get a few bits up on soundcloud for yiz.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
my GF won't be too pleased. But for analog sound I'll endure any pain.

Let the Perfourmer serenade her with its warm & silky love tones.

Anyway, i'd hoped to get my Perfourmer just after Christmas but it's looking more likely to be end of January. Congratulations on your purchase & i hope to be discussing this beautiful instrument with you guys in the (very) near future.

*i keep having this horrible dream that Vermona discontinue the Perfourmer just when i've saved enough money. There aren't any available new & all 2nd hands are trashed or not even the same actual synth. I hate this dream.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
Let the Perfourmer serenade her with its warm & silky love tones.
Hah! Class... I nearly spat my coffee over the keyboard.

Don't worry, I'll start gabbing about it as soon as I get it.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Head

I'm also about to buy one tomorrow, I'm undecided on the CV or MIDI option, I really want to be able to hook it up my minitaur but damn im a little short on cash for the CV option

is the CV option worth it ?
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklops View Post
I'm also about to buy one tomorrow, I'm undecided on the CV or MIDI option, I really want to be able to hook it up my minitaur but damn im a little short on cash for the CV option

is the CV option worth it ?
Something Cane Creek wrote:

"I payed the extra for the CV version but looking back in hindsight I should of got the basic midi version, I always use it via midi the CV is very poorly implemented with just pitch/gate...there's some fun to be had running external gear through Perfourmers filters"

I'll be getting the midi only version.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
Something Crane Creek wrote:

"I payed the extra for the CV version but looking back in hindsight I should of got the basic midi version, I always use it via midi the CV is very poorly implemented with just pitch/gate...there's some fun to be had running external gear through Perfourmers filters"

I'll be getting the midi only version.
Ok thanks yes I'm gona go for the MIDI version as well
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

Well, my Vermona arrived the other day. It's sounds amazing! I don't think the demo's on their site do it justice at all.

I'm having a little trouble setting it up with my Virus and studio one. But, when I get something decent done, I'll post a few bits up on soundcloud, so you guys can have a listen.

Cheers,

R.
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, my Vermona arrived the other day. It's sounds amazing! I don't think the demo's on their site do it justice at all.

I'm having a little trouble setting it up with my Virus and studio one. But, when I get something decent done, I'll post a few bits up on soundcloud, so you guys can have a listen.

Cheers,

R.
Looking forward to! I like the ability to pan induvidual VCOs, certainly adds to stereo width...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search