Roland SR-JV80 cards sample rates???
backwoodsman
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Roland SR-JV80 cards sample rates???

Hello!

I have a question about the sample rate of Roland SR-JV expansion cards. It is a well known fact (i think), that some synths that use these cards have 44.1 kHz sample playback rate (like JD-990 and XV-series models) while others (JV/XP-series) have only 32 kHz playback. My question is, what will be the sample playback rate of SR-JV expansion cards if they are installed in different synths? For example, if you install one of these cards into a JV/XP series synth then obviously the playback rate will be 32 kHz, but if you install them inside a XV synth, will the samples play at 44.1 kHz? In other words, do i get a better sound quality if i install the cards inside a XV synth? This has been confusing to me and i hope someone could answer this. Thanks.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Hello!

I have a question about the sample rate of Roland SR-JV expansion cards. It is a well known fact (i think), that some synths that use these cards have 44.1 kHz sample playback rate (like JD-990 and XV-series models) while others (JV/XP-series) have only 32 kHz playback. My question is, what will be the sample playback rate of SR-JV expansion cards if they are installed in different synths? For example, if you install one of these cards into a JV/XP series synth then obviously the playback rate will be 32 kHz, but if you install them inside a XV synth, will the samples play at 44.1 kHz? In other words, do i get a better sound quality if i install the cards inside a XV synth? This has been confusing to me and i hope someone could answer this. Thanks.
Hi, audio processing is a bit more complex than you seem to assume, and is rarely a simplistic question of sample rate comparisons.

First, the waveforms on all the SR-JV and the SRX boards are 32kHZ.

However, the internal sample rate of the JD-990 and the 5080 is either 44.1 kHz or 48kHZ (can't remember), so the data is upsampled for internal processing.

So your question ("do i get a better sound quality if i install the cards inside a XV synth") is impossible to answer because, while in theory it should sound "better" you may or may not find that to be the case, because the expansion architecture were engineered for the JV-880/80 series.

Some people may find that a board on a JV-1080 will sound better than on a , some people may find that it sounds worse.

I personally think they lose a bit of warmth and gain a little harshness on the XV-5080 vs. the JV-1080, but that's just my opinion.
backwoodsman
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
First, the waveforms on all the SR-JV and the SRX boards are 32kHZ.
Thanks. This is actually what i wanted to know.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search